What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Maureen O'Sullivan was a good-looking woman. IMO, much more attractive than her daughter Mia.

I watched "The Guns of Navarone" the other day on MoviesAnywhere in 4K without HDR. Looked damn good!

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
August 6:
Threads (Severin BD) 1984. TV movie that won multiple BAFTAs. A fictional account of multiple atomic blasts over Sheffield and various other points in England. It follows the fates of 2 families. One young woman is pregnant. Of course, within weeks the population is decimated; within months there is famine, more deaths, an artificial winter. Civilization crumbles. Alone, the woman gives birth. 10 years pass. Dark ages. A new generation. But it will not get any better because everyone has been exposed to radiation poisoning, even in the womb. Bleak, bleak, bleak. And so true.
When the Daltons Rode (Kino BD) 1940. Good actioner with Randolph Scott and Kay Francis headlining but hardly germane to the story (cut them and you don't lose hardly anything). Andy Devine is an amorous Lothario providing comedy relief (cut him and you don't lose anything at all). The rest is really good chases and stunt work, etc., ably directed by George Marshall. Very good transfer.
Isadora (Kino BD) 1968. Just as I remembered from seeing this in '68. Full-length in all its glory, and what a glorious film it is, lifted to supreme heights by the incandescent performance (one of the greatest on film) of Vanessa Redgrave. With apologies to Hepburn and Streisand, they just don't measure up next to this super complex portrait of the dancer. The transfer is excellent and the film is highly recommended as it is one of Karel Reisz's best, and Redgrave is sublime.
Decision at Sundown (Indicator BD) 1957. A Boetticher/Scott western and another great disc from Indicator. The story of a man who is seeking revenge from a man that caused his wife to commit suicide; and who, incidentally, has poisoned a town. Plot twists, gun fights, moral issues, and an ending that carefully flaunts the Production Code. Another fine western worth your time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
The granddaughters are visiting again. Peg and I got our first-ever viewing of:

We were surprised...we liked it. There were a ton of contrivances, but, fortunately, there was a fair amount of fun to carry us along.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
How to Talk to Girls at Parties
Originally Released: 05/25/2018
Watched: 08/07/2020
HDX (1080P) digital streaming on Apple TV app, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

HowToTalkToGirlsAtParties_2018_Poster.jpg

This one crashed and burned at the box office, with a mixed-to-poor critical reception. John Cameron Mitchell, the director and co-writer of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, expands Neil Gaiman's Hugo-nominated short story of the same name into a feature film.

The movie begins in south London 1977, amidst celebrations of the Silver Jubilee Queen Elizabeth II, and follows three broke and unpopular teenage boys into Croydon's nascent punk scene. Wandering the streets one night looking for the after party, they stumble into a house full of very unusual occupants. It quickly becomes clear that the line between the punk scene and an alien invasion is murky indeed.

What follows is the intertwined and paralleled coming of age stories of two very different adolescents with two very different destinies at a moment of teenage rebellion.

It was a bit slow going at first, but one Elle Fanning's character enters the picture it was magical the rest of the way through. Her and Alex Sharp had real chemistry together, but what makes their whirlwind romance so engaging is the growth each of the characters experiences individually as a result of their interactions with the other.

Zan, the galaxy-spanning "tourist" played by Fanning, avoids most of the tropes of aliens infiltrating Earth. Everything is a new experience for her, but she has done her research. She speaks and behaves in an unfamiliar way, but her passions and her motivations and her feelings are clear. Enn, the local teenager played by Sharp, is in over his head but up to the challenge.

And I found the culmination of their stories quite moving, as rebellion and the assertion of individuality makes room for collective responsibility.

The adult supporting cast is strong, too. Nicole Kidman plays Boadicea, the queen of the local punk scene who feels left behind by the punk acts that have grown beyond her little pond. Ruth Wilson, Matt Lucas, Edward Petherbridge, and Tom Brooke find odd but distinct personalities as the parent-teachers responsible for the various extraterrestrial colonies.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Last Night's Feature Presentation

1596868777319.png

Episodes 1 & 2, very well done and much closer to the original source material, years since i read any of it

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have been really enjoying revisiting Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour which my Amazon DVR picked up off MeTV during the past year. I was so busy watching other things that I just let them pile up, but now I'm catching up with them, and most of them are lots of fun. I don't really like the wry, comic-leaning episodes nearly as much as the dramas and thrillers. A parade of great stars of the Golden Age and some up-and-coming actors who would one day be stars are in these shows: amazing so much work was given to these glorious talents.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Vengeance Valley (TCM app) 1951. PD hell western; however, TCM's print, although an old transfer, looked better than a dupe. Burt Lancaster and Robert Walker play foster brothers and the latter is so good as the shiftless, treacherous SOB that one does indeed mourn his premature death. Not a bad character drama of a family gone terribly wrong.
Go Naked in the World (TCM app) 1961. Borgnine, Franciosa, but most of all, Lollobrigida as the most expensive call girl in SF. And poor Tony doesn't know and falls for her. All leads to undying love and tragic death. Over the top melodrama.
Buchanan Rides Alone (Indicator BD) 1958. Boetticher/Scott. Happy Scott wanders unwittingly into a nest of vipers run by an unscrupulous family. How he survives several times and how the town switches hands (for the better?) drives the exciting plot. Excellent transfer.
Ride Lonesome (Indicator BD) 1959. Boetticher/Scott. This is the Scott hero out on a mission that slowly becomes clear to us and to his companions. Pernell Roberts excels and Karen Steele displays an excellent profile (so says John Sayles) enhanced by the cups. Finely delineated psychological study of all the main characters, including the antagonist. Another excellent transfer.

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Matinee this afternoon in honor of the 40th anniversary, it was XANADU!!!! Great music, bad movie.

XANADU.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
August 8th, 2020 Saturday

Batman
4K Blu-ray / HDR10
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

Batman1989-06262016.jpg

X-Men
Disney+
4K Digital / HDR
5.1 Dolby upmixed to Auro 7.1

x-men-2.jpg

The Founder
Apple TV 4K
HD Digital upconverted to 4K
Dolby 5.1

The-Founder-UK-Movie-Poster.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
edit: jinxed myself here! One of the little guys woke up.
Better luck next time. ;)

On another note, I just watched Howard on Disney+ about Howard Ashman's life and career. It is incredibly moving and I would absolutely recommend it to everyone who has Disney+ available to them. If you're a big Disney fan, there's very little in the second half of the documentary that you won't already know as it relates to the production of The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast in particular. But it's a great documentary anyway and a lovely tribute to Ashman and his work. It is of course a great shame that he was not able to live longer, but he left such an indelible mark on pop culture with the work he was able to do that most of us can only wish for that significant of a legacy.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched The Runner Stumbles yesterday, a good film on a good disc. I think a lot of movie makers could learn from this film how to show two people falling in love.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Better luck next time. ;)

On another note, I just watched Howard on Disney+ about Howard Ashman's life and career. It is incredibly moving and I would absolutely recommend it to everyone who has Disney+ available to them. If you're a big Disney fan, there's very little in the second half of the documentary that you won't already know as it relates to the production of The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast in particular. But it's a great documentary anyway and a lovely tribute to Ashman and his work. It is of course a great shame that he was not able to live longer, but he left such an indelible mark on pop culture with the work he was able to do that most of us can only wish for that significant of a legacy.
I read an interview yesterday with Don Hahn, the director of Howard, and it truly made me want to see this documentary. I'm not yet a subscriber to Disney+, but my time as a non-subscriber may be coming to an end.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not yet a subscriber to Disney+, but my time as a non-subscriber may be coming to an end.
I think you will probably like it. The nice thing about Disney+ is that the $6.99/month price is so low, it makes it very easy to come and go. If Howard had been a theatrical release, you would almost certainly have paid more than that for a ticket to see it, so even if that is all you watch and then you cancel, it would still be valuable. Of course, there's a lot of other stuff that's on there too that's very good, but subscribing for one thing doesn't feel so bad. (I have a friend who subscribed just for Hamilton, and ended up staying a second month to watch Howard.)

Reactions: Matt Hough

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Rebecca (Criterion BD) 1940. Wow! I saw this film multiple times in 35mm while living in NYC; but this 4K scan of the original 35mm nitrate negative is simply spectacular. The film is so well produced, scripted, shot, scored, acted, directed, etc., down to its minutest detail; even the changed ending (Rebecca's death) lets the lead get away with murder, carefully skirting the Production Code. I think I finally spotted Hitchcock. Highly recommended.
Comanche Station (Indicator BD) 1960. Boetticher/Scott. Lean, spare. Uses some of the The Tall T formula: Lone man rescues woman; meets up with 3 men who aim to kill them both and pocket reward money; inevitable showdown after man has offered them a way out via free will. Nevertheless, the way there is always interesting and there are frissons along the way. The final twist is very moving. The disc transfer is outstanding.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightRacerKL