What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
I rewatched the pilot for The Snoop Sisters tonight. The ladies are always entertaining, but I am glad Barney was recast with the younger Lou Antonio. It was funnier having the ladies run circles around a younger, tougher guy than Art Carney. I also think they had better chemistry with the recast Bert Convey than they had with Lawrence Pressman. I hadn't remembered that Paulette Goddard was the murder victim in this.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Arizona (Criterion Channel) 1940. Last viewed sometime in the early '60s because it starred Jean Arthur, already a favorite. The TV print was muddy and the story covered too much ground and went on too long. I just didn't care for it as I had cared for the Capra films and the Ford film starring Arthur. Last night I enjoyed it much more because of a better print but the same caveats remained. But now I could enjoy the utter villainy of Warren William and the youthful charm of William Holden. But I wonder why during the span of the film Arthur was referred as the only white woman in the Arizona territory...
The Real Glory (Criterion Channel) 1939. Catholic Filipinos backed by Yankees fighting Muslim Filipinos in 1906. Gary Cooper is the stalwart hero. Rousing action drama. Very old transfer.
The Old Dark House (Indicator) 1963. Called a remake of the classic Universal James Whale classic, but it is NOT. Fairly amusing outing that's more Ealing than Hammer. Great title sequence drawn by Charles Addams. The PQ is very good. Now on to another William Castle/Tom Posten film:
Zotz! (Indicator) 1962. Fantastical comedy with thrills targeted towards a more juvenile audience. Still, if you kick back and let go...Very slight scratches are evident in many scenes. Of course, it was great to see the grand old dame, Margaret Dumont, one more time, and get a big cake right on her smacker. What a trouper, right to the end!

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Watched S01E03 of Hinterland on Netflix earlier today. Holding up really well so far. Episode three continues the themes of the first two episodes, most notably in the character development of the lead character. This episode was a little bit more conventional in some ways; not bad, just not as freaky as the first episode.

One of the limitations of procedurals (with one episode resolutions) is that there exists a limited palette of suspects; but given the run time of these episodes (around 90 minutes) the writers can make the cases a bit more convoluted when compared to the procedurals one sees on broadcast television here in the U.S. This is definitely to the benefit of the series.

- Walter.

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
July 1st, 2020

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
HD Digital via Apple TV upconverted to 4K
5.1 Dolby upmixed to Auro 7.1

Thanks Keith Cobby for mentioning this movie it was very enjoyable and creepy.

invasion of the body snatchers 1978.jpg

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief
HD Digital via Disney + upconverted to 4K
5.1 Dolby upmixed to Auro 7.1

percy jackson LT.jpg

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Arizona (Criterion Channel) 1940. Last viewed sometime in the early '60s because it starred Jean Arthur, already a favorite. The TV print was muddy and the story covered too much ground and went on too long. I just didn't care for it as I had cared for the Capra films and the Ford film starring Arthur. Last night I enjoyed it much more because of a better print but the same caveats remained. But now I could enjoy the utter villainy of Warren William and the youthful charm of William Holden. But I wonder why during the span of the film Arthur was referred as the only white woman in the Arizona territory...
I agree with you as being too long as stated here. Also, I like how the dynamics of Arthur/Holden's relationship changes over the course of the movie which is why I always enjoy watching this western.

• Agreed
Reactions: bujaki

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Last night was:

1593701991413.png

This was my 3rd viewing and I still don't much care for it. It has lots of "flash" but not much substance - kind of like most MCU movies.

That was followed by a long time favorite:

1593702231129.png

AKA The Creeping Unknown.

Robin9

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I had another viewing of The Last Of Sheila, a film I saw when it first came out. The plot is not as clever as the writers obviously believed but it does hold the attention. The cast is good although, for me, Raquel Welch is her usual non-event. I'll sample the commentary track tonight.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last night was:

View attachment 74970

This was my 3rd viewing and I still don't much care for it. It has lots of "flash" but not much substance - kind of like most MCU movies.

That was followed by a long time favorite:

View attachment 74972

AKA The Creeping Unknown.
My wife and I also watched The Quatermass Xperiment last night! Jolly good show! The idea is to finish the trilogy soon.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Strait-Jacket (Indicator BD ZONE B locked) 1964. Last seen in '64 in my boarding school! Dear Joan Crawford gives her all in this William Castle shocker, and she's not bad, not bad at all. Great transfer.
The Quatermass Xperiment (Kino BD) 1955. It's great to finally see this jewel of a film in its OAR and in such a good transfer! A combination of sci-fi/horror that really works, and the first of a long string of Hammer films that pushed the envelope on horror and violence. Will be watching the rest of the trilogy presently.
The Bride Wore Boots (Kino BD) 1946. On a lighter note, a delightful, fluffy comedy starring the great Stanwyck with a game Robert Cummings and a mischievous child named Natalie Wood. Must mention the hot, little number who tries to break up the union: Diana Lynn. Beautiful transfer.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yesterday I had another viewing of The Last Of Sheila, a film I saw when it first came out. The plot is not as clever as the writers obviously believed but it does hold the attention. The cast is good although, for me, Raquel Welch is her usual non-event. I'll sample the commentary track tonight.
Allegedly she was a pill to work with on this movie. Kept everybody waiting for an eternity.

I still enjoy watching it every time I fire it up.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So - we're all waiting Howie ..........:unsure:
Well... I wasn't that impressed with the first story arc, "Robot." It suffers from quite a lot of what I don't like about many BBC dramatic productions, especially their SF output, from those years: Incredibly cheap looking sets, poor lighting, average direction, some hammy acting, padded scripts, and staged like a play. The story wasn't too bad but could have stood tightening to 3 episodes instead of 4.

I'm taking a Dr. Who break with another favorite:

1593734622160.png

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
First time viewing of Doctor Sleep from 2019 via HBO. I haven't read King's novel, so I can't assess the fidelity of the film to the source novel, but it felt very 'Kingesque'. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it felt like a decent followup to The Shining. Kubrick's film benefits from a much better art design and the talents of Jack Nicholson; but this film is not without its rewards. Ewan McGregor was well cast as Danny Torrance and I enjoyed Carl Lumbly's interpretation of Hallorran. Pretty solid cast all around. The friendships that Torrance develops in the film are one of the better aspects of the movie. Rebecca Ferguson was suitably menacing as Rose the Hat; although if she made me an offer it might be difficult to decline. :)

I enjoyed the overall tone and atmosphere of the film, even if it doesn't match its' predecessor. Not a great film, but effective enough to recommend.

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The next Tom Baker Dr. Who story of S12, "The Ark in Space":
1593792635217.png

While the bugs and outer space sequences were a bit cheesy, the other production values increased with this story although it still suffers from the staginess of BBC dramatic productions of the era (something that didn't impact their comedy stuff... go figure...). In spite of that, I enjoyed this one far more than the first.

Reactions: Mysto

Mike Frezon

Last night's feature:

I re-watched my old Warner DVD of this. It had been on my "to watch" pile for awhile now and Carl Reiner's death moved it to the top of the pile. There is a lot of debris and softness to the film which I would love to see released in HD on Blu-ray. The cast is a who's who if '70s character actors which could have represented an entire season of guest appearances on the Love Boat. Carl Reiner, George Burns, John Denver, Teri Garr, William Daniels, Paul Sorvino, Donald Pleasance, Ralph Bellamy, Barnard Hughes, Barry Sullivan, Dinah Shore, Jeff Corey, David Ogden Stiers, Geore Furth and even Moosie Drier as the young son.

What a fantastic movie. This is a movie that has its feet firmly planted in the mid-1970s. I actually wish, I wish, I wish someone would do a remake to update the film and bring it into the 21st century. The message and story is pitch-perfect and is 1000% relevant to all of the political and social ills currently fomenting in the US.

This is not a deep theological effort. And that's a good thing. God reveals himself to John Denver's character with the simple message that He is alive and has given Earth everything it needs to make things work. He emphasizes that we should stop trying to hurt each other and should, instead, work together to get full advantage of all that He has given us. A skeptical media is front & center. Organized religion is lampooned. But the simple message of loving one another remains front & center throughout the film and is the kind of message audiences these days should see more often. [I'll remove my grumpy old man hat now.]

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bart T