What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Keith Cobby

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Yes she was. She was also good in similar roles in The Counterfeit Traitor, which deserves a blu ray, and The Zoo Gang which i remember watching on television as a teenager. My son becomes a teenager next week.

Currently watching Jonas Kaufmann: An Evening with Puccini!

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Human Desire (Criterion Channel) 1954. Lang's remake of Renoir's La bête humaine. The railroad is a mechanical beast; man is a human beast. Two murders are committed inside trains. Alcoholism, rage and jealousy destroy one man; lust almost destroys another, while a manipulative agent must be rejected, one way or another. Not on a par with The Big Heat, but noirish enough with atmospheric cinematography from Burnett Guffey.
Baxter (Criterion Channel) 1989. French film for dog lovers everywhere. The story of an adorable bull terrier whose past life colors his behavior. The story, which he narrates, follows his life with three owners. A proper old lady whose life unravels and dies "mysteriously." A young couple who have a baby and who almost drowns, but is saved, alas!, too soon by the pooch. A pre-teen with a Hitler/Eva Braun/Blondi (their dog)/and the final days Bunker, and their eventual showdown. Dark and humorous, and violent and dark and violent and dark. Not for the squeamish.
Blind Alley (Criterion Channel) 1939. Hostages in a lake house. Psychotic killer. Psychiatry in action and a pop cure in less than 15 minutes. Impressive, but very stylishly photographed by Lucien Ballard. Scotty Beckett was adorable. Good PQ in this lean production.
The Dark Past (Criterion Channel) 1948. Hostages in a lake house. Psychotic killer. Psychiatry in action and a pop cure in less than 15 minutes. However, the acting is superior. William Holden, in particular, makes for a more nuanced victim of his past, and his cure is shown even down to his "physical" ailment, which was missing in the '39 version. There was a bit of padding in this remake, but it was still creditable. The PQ was not as good as in Blind Alley.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
City of Angels: Penny Dreadful (Showtime) 2020. Final chapter. Final words uttered by Chicano LAPD detective to his Jewish partner: "They're not building roads. They're building walls. This is not the United States of America". LA, CA, 1938.
Oops!

Mike Frezon

It was Peg's pick tonight. She opted for a "fun musical." We settled on The Producers. We watched my Blu-ray--imported from Amazon.jp.

This is my old Golden Retriever Ike from back in 2014 when it arrived (in just four days after it was ordered!):

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What did you think of it? I saw the Toronto production and the movie, and I am afraid I thought both were basically crap. I was looking forward to the live and movie version because I loved the original cast CD.

Mike Frezon

What did you think of it? I saw the Toronto production and the movie, and I am afraid I thought both were basically crap. I was looking forward to the live and movie version because I loved the original cast CD.
If you're asking about The Producers, Terry...we've seen it several times. Once in the theater, and many times on DVD & Blu. We liked the movie. Typical Mel Brooks silliness (although I couldn't help but put several gags/jokes in this film in the context of cancel culture nowadays). We like the movie...a lot. Good music, good comedy, good performances, and...Uma. :D

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Howie: Do you have the Arrow Blu-ray of this? Do you recommend it?
Yes, and yes. Keep in mind I've never seen the movie before and really didn't watch with that critical an eye towards video quality but also didn't notice anything odd or wrong. Sound was excellent. And the movie was good, too. :)

Robin9

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Warner Archive's Blu-ray disc of The Stalking Moon, a movie I've always liked a lot. The film has many detractors and one minor character in it, indeed his entire situation, makes no sense at all. Nevertheless, I think in total this is a marvellous and highly original movie.

I'm very pleased with the Blu-ray disc because it does what the DVD failed to do: it does full justice to Charles Lang's images and the excellent color. Another superb offering from Warner Archive!

Not sure about tonight: probably either Romance On The High Seas or Outcast Of The Islands.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It was Peg's pick tonight. She opted for a "fun musical." We settled on The Producers. We watched my Blu-ray--imported from Amazon.jp.

This is my old Golden Retriever Ike from back in 2014 when it arrived (in just four days after it was ordered!):

If you're asking about The Producers, Terry...we've seen it several times. Once in the theater, and many times on DVD & Blu. We liked the movie. Typical Mel Brooks silliness (although I couldn't help but put several gags/jokes in this film in the context of cancel culture nowadays). We like the movie...a lot. Good music, good comedy, good performances, and...Uma. :D
I'm going to throw my $.02 worth in...

I absolutely *love* the original The Producers from 1967. It is my favorite Mel Brooks film and the only one of his I recommend without reservations. I saw it on a local TV station in 1968 and thought it was amazing. Over the ensuing decades I'd often mention it when Brooks' films were discussed and typically get blank stares. It seemed that I was the only person on the planet who'd actually seen the movie.

Then the Broadway musical is created and they make a movie of that. Or course I have to purchase a copy. I watched it. Oh my... what a train wreck. The added musical numbers did little to add to the movie. Broderick, who I feel normally does a good job, is so wooden it's pathetic. It's as if he forgot everything he ever knew about acting. He's only good the one or two times he partially channels Gene Wilder and that's not often enough. Nathan Lane is good, but he's no Zero Mostel. Still... he practically saves the movie single-handedly. Uma Thurman was quite good. IMHO the most egregious thing they did was totally remove the scene with Max and Leo in the bar
(spoilerized for those who may not have seen the film)
congratulating each other on the success of their failure when the crowd comes in during intermission talking about just how good and funny the production is.
That's one of my favorite scenes. And they add a scene with Max (Lane) in jail doing an overly long song in which the *entire movie* up to that point is recapped. Seriously!?! That scene practically killed what little good they'd built up to that point. That removed scene *was* filmed and is a "special feature" on my disc. IMHO, it should have been left in and the scene with Max in jail cut.

The "direction" is some of the worst I've ever seen. It looks like they just pointed the camera at the stage and locked it down. I get that the director of the film also directed the play. That's OK I guess but just because you do well with stage productions doesn't qualify you to direct a "moving" picture and this film proves that in spades. And the animatronic pigeons are incredibly horrible, killing what little humor Will Ferrel brought to his part (which is one of the best things I've ever seen him do).

Production values are quite good.

So... there *are* some funny moments in the movie but they're few and far between. I only recommend it to those who like the original and then with reservations. If you've only seen the movie of the Broadway production then I very highly recommend you watch the original.

Me... I'll only watch the original going forward.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

And they add a scene with Max (Lane) in jail doing an overly long song in which the *entire movie* up to that point is recapped. Seriously!?! That scene practically killed what little good they'd built up to that point.
Hah! THAT is Peg's favorite part of the musical! :D

Just goes to show ya...

But, we completely agree about the deleted scene you detail in your spoiler. It really should have been left in. It's needed to get from A to B. We always feel tht there's something missing without it.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm going to throw my $.02 worth in...

I absolutely *love* the original The Producers from 1967. It is my favorite Mel Brooks film and the only one of his I recommend without reservations. I saw it on a local TV station in 1968 and thought it was amazing. Over the ensuing decades I'd often mention it when Brooks' films were discussed and typically get blank stares. It seemed that I was the only person on the planet who'd actually seen the movie.

Then the Broadway musical is created and they make a movie of that. Or course I have to purchase a copy. I watched it. Oh my... what a train wreck. The added musical numbers did little to add to the movie. Broderick, who I feel normally does a good job, is so wooden it's pathetic. It's as if he forgot everything he ever knew about acting. He's only good the one or two times he partially channels Gene Wilder and that's not often enough. Nathan Lane is good, but he's no Zero Mostel. Still... he practically saves the movie single-handedly. Uma Thurman was quite good. IMHO the most egregious thing they did was totally remove the scene with Max and Leo in the bar
(spoilerized for those who may not have seen the film)
congratulating each other on the success of their failure when the crowd comes in during intermission talking about just how good and funny the production is.
That's one of my favorite scenes. And they add a scene with Max (Lane) in jail doing an overly long song in which the *entire movie* up to that point is recapped. Seriously!?! That scene practically killed what little good they'd built up to that point. That removed scene *was* filmed and is a "special feature" on my disc. IMHO, it should have been left in and the scene with Max in jail cut.

The "direction" is some of the worst I've ever seen. It looks like they just pointed the camera at the stage and locked it down. I get that the director of the film also directed the play. That's OK I guess but just because you do well with stage productions doesn't qualify you to direct a "moving" picture and this film proves that in spades. And the animatronic pigeons are incredibly horrible, killing what little humor Will Ferrel brought to his part (which is one of the best things I've ever seen him do).

Production values are quite good.

So... there *are* some funny moments in the movie but they're few and far between. I only recommend it to those who like the original and then with reservations. If you've only seen the movie of the Broadway production then I very highly recommend you watch the original.

Me... I'll only watch the original going forward.
I'd never seen the "original" The Producers until I moved to NYC and went to the Carnegie Hall Cinema for a 35mm screening of the film. I knew nothing about it except that Wilder had been nominated for an AA. My reaction was the same as that of the audience at the opening of the Springtime for Hitler musical. I was slack-jawed at the utter chutzpah and tastelessness and brilliance. And, of course, I was besides myself laughing. Sheer genius!
My second favorite is The Twelve Chairs. Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles have their moments and it's downhill from there.
I had no interest in ever seeing the musical, either on stage or on film. I heard the score and was unimpressed. When the film came out, the reviews were savage, and that put the nail on that coffin. So, as you said, long live the original! The musical was an unnecessary cash cow that added nothing to the brilliance of the original.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Brothers Rico (Criterion Channel) 1957. Last viewed in '57 as Los hermanos Rico. I really had no recollection of the film except for the title. Good gangster noir story of deception and betrayal directed by Karlson with an excellent Richard Conte and a tragic James Darren. Absurd happy ending mars the tale. I'm sure the original Simenon story was much darker.
The Impatient Years (Criterion Channel) 1944. Jean Arthur is one of my favorites. I just love her voice. She could play comedy, drama and everything in between. Here she plays a wartime bride and mother who greets her husband of just a few days who left to go to war. Now they're strangers to one another, a situation that must have been common to many veterans (cf. The Best Years of Our Lives). Will they divorce (the premise of the film)? Or will they re-connect? It's a well-executed film that almost plays as a sequel to The More the Merrier, with less emphasis on the comedy.
The Price of Fear (Kino BD) 1956. Good transfer of a noir starring Merle Oberon as the femme fatale (and is she ever fatale) and Lex Barker as a rather stolid victim (here's looking at better days as Tarzan). As the characters' motivations shift their allegiances, the story's coil tightens and reaches its surprise ending in a satisfying "Code" fashion.
13 Frightened Girls (Indicator BD) Or is it 14, 15? Who was counting? Entertaining comedy/thriller, not quite living up to its title of very frightening. But did William Castle care? It was fun, delightful and totally unbelievable. Excellent PQ.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barcelona