What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (6 Viewers)

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
Tonight:

1591581356862.png

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit
Originally Released: 12/10/1993
Watched: 06/07/2020
1080P HD digital streaming on Disney+, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

SisterAct2BackInTheHabit_1993_Poster.jpg

I watched this movie many, many times when I was younger and I wanted to see if it still held up.

While it commits just about every cardinal sin of bad sequels, for the life of me I can't understand why it's only at 9 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Maybe our expectations have simply been lowered in the more than quarter-century since this came out.

Yes, it's incredibly contrived that Whoopi's character ends up again pretending to be a nun. Yes, the movie's attempt to capture inner city vernacular and teenage slang mostly falls flat. Yes, Maggie Smith is wasted here.

But Whoopi still has charisma for days as Deloris Van Cartier/Sister Mary Clarence. And the kids in her choir, a pre-Fugees Lauryn Hill first and foremost among them, are incredibly talented. The musical numbers that punctuate the film are a lot of fun. It has the same rhythyms as a sports movie, only in this case the big game is the statewide choir competition.

So while all of the flaws are very apparent, it's still a plenty enjoyable time at the movies.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
[QUOTE="John Sparks, post: 4875426, member: 28644
The SD of I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE so I wouldn't have to buy the BD. This viewing should last me the rest of my life.
[/QUOTE]
Wound up watching the Ray Harryhausen retrospective last night on Amazon Prime and thought about you. (Don't take this the wrong way) :laugh:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I Know This Much Is True (HBO) 2020. Penultimate chapter. I hope that there will be some hope at the end for these characters. What a depressing tale! If it weren't for the fact that it's so well acted...
Man of the World (TCM) 1931. A new one for me and worth watching for early Powell and Lombard. Good Guy Kibbee performance. Minor footnote.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
They Live is kind of silly fun too. Sorry you didn’t care for it.
I don't know John. To me it had a slow start and it just didn't hold up toward the end with all the shooting and killing. I found myself almost asleep two or three times. However, we did enjoy watching Drive Angry again. I would say it about the best 3D I've seen in a long time. I have a number the Technicolor 3D prints from 2010 and up most are in 3D. They really got this one right!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know John. To me it had a slow start and it just didn't hold up toward the end with all the shooting and killing. I found myself almost asleep two or three times. However, we did enjoy watching Drive Angry again. I would say it about the best 3D I've seen in a long time. I have a number the Technicolor 3D prints from 2010 and up most are in 3D. They really got this one right!!
Yeah, it’s a spotty movie. I just get a kick out of the Roddy silliness.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Yeah, it’s a spotty movie. I just get a kick out of the Roddy silliness.
I couldn't decide who was going to win the fist fight in the alleyway, Keith or Roddy. I was thinking they might kill each other. It went on forever. I was worn out when that was over.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Fitzcarraldo (Shout BD) 1982. Werner Herzog, an obsessive film director, tackles another film about a man with a single-minded obsession to bring opera to the Amazonian jungle in the first decade of the 20th century, the actor playing him being none other than the obsessed Klaus Kinski. Incredible location images give life to this incredible tale of two cultures meeting (European and Jivaro) via the extraordinary recordings of Enrico Caruso, the miracle of the human voice lifted in glorious song.
Marco Polo (VAI DVD) 1956. A live telecast of an original musical mining the themes of Rimsky-Korsakov, and with a book co-written by Neil Simon. It reunites the stars of Broadway's Kismet: the inestimable presence and gorgeous voices of Alfred Drake and Doretta Morrow. It's great to have these kinescopes preserved; it's just too bad that they've come down to us in B&W versions. They must have been an eyeful in color.
Man in the Shadow (Kino BD) 1957. Done on the cheap but packs a wallop. Strong performance from Jeff Chandler taking on the cause of social injustice. The "invisible" Mexican man in the sheriff's office is a strong visual indication of the value of a bracero's life in such a town. Will Chandler go against Big Daddy and the town? Excellent B&W visuals and strong stuff even today.
Song of Norway (Kino BD) 1970. I had to watch this. Lovely transfer. Lovely music. Lovely scenery. Lots of running around by the trio of actors. Lots of quick cuts. No overture, no intermission but there is exit music. It really isn't much good, but I managed to sit through it, I remembered many songs from the Broadway cast album from the '40s, and the scenery IS beautiful. I don't know whether I could sit through it again.
All these were first viewings for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks