What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
JerichoDriveIn.png

(Photo Credit: Alyssa Lotmore - Same theater, same lineup, different night)
Onward
Originally Released: 03/06/2020
Watched: 05/24/2020
4K DCP projected onto the Jericho Drive-In screen, with FM analog radio stereo audio

Onward_2020_Poster.jpg

On one hand, this felt far more like a standard issue CG animated movie than Pixar's usual distinctiveness. On the other hand, it was executed superbly. Most of the movie rides on the odd couple dynamic between Tom Holland and Chris Pratt, playing a pair of elven brothers on a magical quest in a fantasy realm with technology that has roughly caught up to the 1970s. Fortunately, they're both more than up to the challenge. Chris Pratt was great playing the supportive older brother on "Everwood" back in the day, but it's a muscle he hasn't had to exercise much since, This movie showed that he very much has still got it. The movie just works from beginning to end.

* * *​

The Call of the Wild
Originally Released: 02/21/2020
Watched: 05/24/2020
4K DCP projected onto the Jericho Drive-In screen, with FM analog radio stereo audio

TheCallOfTheWild_2020_Poster.jpg

This worked better than I thought it would, given the creepy CG dog at the center of it. After about twenty minutes or so, I was absorbed enough in the story not to be constantly distracted by the fact that Buck didn't look quite real. While the picture quality at the drive-in has come a long way since the old days, there are still certain inherent limitations, and those probably helped hide a lot of sins when it came to mixing the CG animals with the live action actors. Overall, it's a faithful adaptation of the novel, with Jack London's ideas intact. The changes are relatively minor: Instead of two French-Canadian mail carriers, there is one French-Canadian mail carrier and one mail carrier with First Nations ancestry. Harrison Ford's character, John Thornton, is threaded into the story earlier than in the novel and given an expanded backstory. When an important character dies near the end of the movie, the perpetrator is a character introduced previously in the movie rather than a savage band of Native Americans like in the book. Otherwise, it played out pretty much as I remembered. The live action cast is solid from top to bottom, though I do wonder why Karen Gillan agreed to play Mercedes when the character has such a minuscule role in the movie.

JerichoDriveIn_20200524.jpg

(Shortly before the start of the first feature -- it was a packed house, with all 300 parking spots taken!)

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I Know This Much Is True (HBO HD) 2020. The twins, as played by Mark Ruffalo, continue their depressing story.
Vadim Mister Cool (TCM app) 2016. A survey of Vadim's life and career showing his eye for beauty and his penchant for hedonism.
A double header directed by George Cukor headlined by Oscar-winning performances (the Kanins were also involved):
A Double Life (Olive BD) 1947. Ronald Colman shines in a tale of mirrors, reflections, double identities, split personalities, love/hate, etc. I hadn't seen this one in almost 50 years and never in such a pristine print. Cukor's direction is superb, as is the cinematography and music.
Born Yesterday (TT BD) 1950. Interesting that the copyright is for the year 1951 and that the film was released in February 1951. Why did it qualify for the AA in 1950? Water under the bridge. Holliday is superb recreating her Broadway success. I first saw this film in the mid-'60s (TV) and fell in love with it. The transfer used by TT is a beauty.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Born Yesterday (TT BD) 1950. Interesting that the copyright is for the year 1951 and that the film was released in February 1951. Why did it qualify for the AA in 1950? Water under the bridge. Holliday is superb recreating her Broadway success. I first saw this film in the mid-'60s (TV) and fell in love with it. The transfer used by TT is a beauty.
It probably played a week in an LA theater near the end of 1950 to qualify for the Oscars hoping Oscar nominations would increase box-office for a national release in 1951.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It probably played a week in an LA theater near the end of 1950 to qualify for the Oscars hoping Oscar nominations would increase box-office for a national release in 1951.
Most likely. Otherwise I can imagine Bette Davis raising a big stink about Holliday's nomination.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This afternoon:

Aladdin.jpg

For no particular reason other than I felt like it. As I've mentioned before around the forum, this is my favorite movie of all time, and it never fails to bring me immense joy whenever I put it on, regardless of circumstance or how many times I've played it. It did that job again today.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Most likely. Otherwise I can imagine Bette Davis raising a big stink about Holliday's nomination.
And yet, when Holliday won, Bette was supposed to have said, "Good, a newcomer won." She was in England filming and not present for the ceremony.

Speaking of Bette, I watched Kid Galahad this afternoon. I had seen it before several times, but I hadn't watched it recently, so it was good to see Bette doing well with good material. She also liked being a part of the film since its subject matter was different from her usual pictures and she believed it introduced her to a different audience than those who usually frequented her movies.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long

Continuing with the Falcon series. Tom Conway now is The Falcon. This one is extra fun with lovely Harriet Hilliard - (Harriet Nelson - Ozzie and Harriet) and Goldie played by Cliff Edwards (Jiminy Cricket). Reminders of the war years with jokes about getting meat - tires-etc and a major theft of war bonds.

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
Don
Memorial Day evening I've decided to drag out an old 1983 3D classic. TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS, 35mm, Dolby A stereo, Fuji color. I haven't watched it in a long time but I remember it has some crazy 3D effects from start to finish.
Not available on BD y
Well Treasure of the Four Crowns didn't disappoint last night. It was like I remembered. Over the top 3D tricks. The plot was not unbelievable and not too silly like some of the 80's movies. I think I'll keep this one in my collection.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Send Me No Flowers (Universal BD) 1964. Delightful Doris-Rock-Tony comedy in colorful transfer. Great meta moment: Rock and Tony in bed complaining about cold feet and long toenails.
Hue and Cry (Film Movement BD) 1947. Charles Crichton directs a gang of kids using a brisk script by TEB Clarke and cinematographer Douglas Slocombe. Ace up Crichton's sleeve is a sly, hilarious turn from the great Alastair Sim. Very much in the vein of the German Emil and the Detectives. From Ealing Studios and considered to be the "first" of their comedies.
Apprentice to Murder (Arrow BD Zone B) 1988. Canadian film inspired by sensational murder in Pennsylvania Dutch country involving powwow hexes and cures. Starring an impressive Donald Sutherland and teen-aged lovers Chad Lowe and Mia Sara. Another worthy Arrow release.
Too Many Winners (Classic Flix DVD) 1947. The New PRC produced and released this, the last of the Michael Shayne Private Detective Series. However, they were still using the same framed prints on the walls. The blonde was very good but she exited way too early in the movie. This was probably the best looking print in the bunch.

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
May 26th, 2020 Tuesday

Bumblebee
HD Digital DVR
Dolby 5.1

Bumblebee sm.jpg

Well the reviews of this movie where not kind if I remember correctly and I just got around to watching Bumblebee. Am glad I did not end up purchasing this movie on 4K UHD Blu-ray or even 4K Digital! For me this movie fell flat and came up way short!

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
Don
Felt like a dose of Friday the 13th tonight. Since the system was already set up for the correct spacing numbers, Friday Part 3 in 3D was the order of the evening. I just never get tired of watching this movie.
Here's some screen shots from the opening shots. Please excuse the blurry pics as they are in 3D.
IMG-7274.jpg IMG-7274.jpg IMG-7274.jpg IMG-7275.jpg IMG-7277.jpg IMG-7278.jpg IMG-7278.jpg IMG-7282.jpg

Mike Frezon

Peg and I went into this knowing it was a longshot, but tonight we watched:

But, we had heard so many good things about this film, that we figured that even though we weren't its target audience, it would be a smart, funny film. We did NOT find it to be so. In fact, there was hardly anything redeeming about the film outside of Kaitlyn Dever. A real waste of time for us.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
In fact, there was hardly anything redeeming about the film outside of Kaitlyn Dever. A real waste of time for us.
I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the general consensus, but there were two things that stuck with me:
  1. Billie Lourd's performance as Gigi, which is both supremely bizarre and oddly full of pathos. One gets the sense that Gigi did so many drugs to keep the melancholy at bay. Watching the movie, I found myself wondering how much of her mother Lourd put into Gigi. Carrie Fisher was brilliant, but she was also bipolar and that comes with periods of deep despair and poor impulse control.
  2. When the alcohol catches up with Kaitlyn Dever's character just as she's having sex for the first time, and ends up vomiting on Diana Silvers's character mid-coitus, undoubtedly traumatizing both of them for life.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
essiedregan