What's on your Daily Viewing List?

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Eight Hours Don't Make a Day (Criterion BD) 1972-73. Chapters 4 and 5. Finished Fassbinder's TV miniseries. Chapters 6-8 projected but never filmed. It's OK because although some threads were left hanging, I just felt I had left town after having lived with this family for over a year and never hearing from them again. That's life. You just move on. Meanwhile you got a good glimpse of German working-class life circa 1970. I enjoyed it. Plus it starred Hanna Schygulla, a favorite of mine.
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (Indicator BD) 1958. Whatever happened to the first 6 voyages? Not even a summary. What a fun movie even after some 50 years. Wonderful transfer. Harryhausen and Herrmann. What more can one say?

Reactions: Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
John Sparks said:
I enjoyed it No HDR, so my Penny 420 couldn’t tone map it. Picture no better than a BD, upscale to 4K. Audio was pretty good.
@John Sparks Wait a minute, the box clearly says "HD Ultra" and you're saying the disc doesn't have HDR? If so, I'll be returning that disc for false advertising.
It might be a 4K Ultra HD title but that is no guarantee of HDR or Dolby Vision. Color Out Of Space is not an HDR title.

Color Out Of Space.jpg

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@John Sparks Wait a minute, the box clearly says "HD Ultra" and you're saying the disc doesn't have HDR? If so, I'll be returning that disc for false advertising.
HD Ultra is just 4K. Doesn't mean it has HDR.

Oops, I didn't see Dave's post for some reason.

Color Out of Space really should have HDR, with that wild color palate. But, it is what it is.

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In a similar vein, I decided to watch The Bourne Identity again, from the 4K set I got during last year's blowouts. At that time, I had a UHD player, but not a 4K display, so I'd been watching UHD movies for Atmos and DTS:X, but no video benefits. Everything else I watched came across just fine. The info from the player would confirm the source as 4K, 24Hz, HDR and output as 2K, 24Hz, SDR. The 4K disc of The Bourne Identity must be mastered wrong, because on an HD TV, the image was so dark it was completely unwatchable. In fact, I only watched a few minutes, then switched to the HD disc. Now that I have a HDR compatible display, I tried the 4K disc again, and it looks just fine. It's a low-key visuals movie, but not completely lost in black like it was on the plasma.

I don't know how this stuff is mastered, but they clearly messed up this one. At least it's good on a 4K display with decent HDR. Just forget about scaling it down to HD.

Reactions: Mysto

HawksFord

Stunt Coordinator
Premium
Real Name
Maurice
To Catch a Thief (1955) - We watched the Paramount Presents blu-ray, but I'm not going to wade into the controversy over this release. I don't have the earlier blu-ray, and I haven't seen this movie recently enough in any format to compare. Leaving that issue aside, the film remains a delight. That final shot, where Cary Grant says so much with just one eye, remains one of my favorites.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long

George Sanders hands over the reins to real life brother Tom Conway who will now pilot the series. This time more thriller with mystery as the boys fight the Nazis. High rated, not my favorite but still a fun watch.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Universal's Sherlock Holmes series with Basil Rathbone is unquestionably my favorite of the "B" movie series done during the Golden Age, but the Falcon series probably comes next for me. I never tire of watching them.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had my DVR record Cornered last night, but I checked with the TCM app, and Cornered was there with Eddie's before and after comments so I watched it there.

Then, since I was already there, I watched The Actress. It had been so long since I watched the whole movie that parts of it I didn't remember (which is surprising for a mere 90-minute movie). It's another triumph for Spencer Tracy, of course, and Jean SImmons is also very good as the young Ruth Gordon.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I had my DVR record Cornered last night, but I checked with the TCM app, and Cornered was there with Eddie's before and after comments so I watched it there.

Then, since I was already there, I watched The Actress. It had been so long since I watched the whole movie that parts of it I didn't remember (which is surprising for a mere 90-minute movie). It's another triumph for Spencer Tracy, of course, and Jean SImmons is also very good as the young Ruth Gordon.
Yeah, I always enjoyed that movie. I would laugh out loud during that sequence when Tracy's pants fall down. :D

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Cornered (TCM) 1945. Tough guy Dick Powell playing a variation of the ugly American (he's Canadian). Good thriller. Old transfer. My wife hadn't seen this film so I watched her again with her.
City of Angels: Penny Dreadful (Showtime HD) 2020. Further twists and turns.
Yellow Jack (TCM app) 1938. I read the play and first watched the film a lifetime ago. My wife had never seen the film, and she, being Cuban and a Montgomery fan, decided to watch it. Good, not great.
Three on a Ticket (Classic Flix DVD) 1947. Michael Shayne gets mixed up with another blonde and murder. As usual, he's one step ahead of the law. OK of its kind.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
May 24th, 2020 Sunday

Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil
4K Digital / Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos

MV5BZjJiYTExOTAtNWU0Yi00NzJjLTkwOTgtOTU2NWM1ZjJmYWVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

A Bridge Too Far
HD Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Was looking over my library and thought to myself how I had not seen this movie in sometime and decided today was the day. Plus since I paid a good amount of money for a really nice 4K blu-ray player I want to make sure I actually use the player. I also forgot how many well know actors are in this film.

A Bridge Too Far.jpg

Captain America: Winter Soldier
4K UHD Blu-ray / HDR10
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

scarlett-johansson-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-movie-poster-01-1313x1915.jpg

RV
HD upconverted to 4K
Dolby 5.1

RV.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanauk1