What's on your Daily Viewing List?

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
They Came to Cordura (Mill Creek BD) 1959. I saw this film then (probably too young to capture all the nuances), and have liked it in subsequent viewings. Quite good cinematography in CinemaScope and a nuanced script by the underrated Robert Rossen. The cast shines as it travels through its ambiguous paths towards the climax at Cordura (Spanish for sanity). The PQ could stand some cleanup.
Greetings and The Wedding Party (Arrow BD) 1968 and 1969. De Palma and De Niro at the beginning. The films exhibit a joyous, nervous excitement, very nouvelle vague, reminiscent of Richard Lester and The Knack, also of silent movie slapstick techniques, as well as Brechtian and Godardian distancing effects. They were also satirical in its view of politics, society, marriage, courtship, sex, etc. Quite funny at times.

Toronto Argonauts

Second Unit
Reaction score
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
Tonight:

1590027240478.png

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Hi, Mom! (Arrow BD) 1969. Another biting satire in the vein of Greetings, of which this is the sequel, following the further misadventures of Jon Rubin (now radicalized) upon his return from 'Nam. His Peep Art theory is put into practice and this leads to several hilarious episodes. The opening, as he looks for an apartment, is funny as hell, particularly if you've lived in a NYC apartment. The Black Power Group theatrical experience, filmed in TV-documentary style, is hysterical. Still, too much is still grounded in techniques used by the French New Wave.
Curse of the Werewolf (Scream BD) 1961. My first werewolf was Chaney's version with the unforgettable Ouspenskaya. On the big screen no less, sometime in the '50s. Then came this color version shown uncut in Puerto Rico (I never knew how mangled it was in the UK upon its release), and i loved it. Of course, I was 11. Well, I still love it. And that tear from that conflicted soul, that human beast, that cursed human...it's just heartbreaking. And now I understand that lust brings out the wolf in men, just like in a Tex Avery cartoon! Great Reed performance and a transfer that finally does justice to the film.
Eight Hours Don't Make a Day (Criterion BD) 1972. German TV miniseries directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. A look at a German working-class extended family and their circle of friends, lovers, co-workers. I watched the first 2 episodes (roughly 3.5 hours). So far, good of its kind. A shower scene for male workers displaying full frontal nudity. A female stripteaser. All for TV in 1972. No holds barred.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Toronto Argonauts

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
David Thompson
Tonight: I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

1590112847755.png

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Tonight: I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

1590112847755.png
As much as I love my action movies I love this film!

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just finished Chapter 3 of 5 of the German TV miniseries from 1972, Eight Hours Don't Make a Day, directed by Fassbinder. Same comments as before in post #7664 apply.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
While the 30 Rock binge continues (we are up to Season 5!), we took time out last night for:

Both Peg and I--going in--realized neither one of us knew anything about this particular Austen tale.

We both enjoyed this particular film. We've never seen another based on the story. For one thing, it was absolutely beautiful. And quite colorful. But did I mention how beautiful it was?!? :D Just gorgeous. When it was done it seemed like you could count the number of times the camera panned right or left on one hand.

I kept having this weird thing happen. Whenever Anya Taylor-Joy was onscreen, I kept thinking that the actress who played Emma should have been Lily James. Don't get me wrong. Anya Taylor-Joy was terrific in the role. I just kept expecting to see Lily James. I can't explain it. :rolleyes:

It's too bad it wasn't released in 4k. Oh. And the music was terrific. Outside of the score, the vocal interludes were used in an edgy and innovative way to bridge scenes. It was very interesting and effective.

We are both looking forward to revisiting it (not in a La La Land way, mind you :D )...but, soon!

HawksFord

Stunt Coordinator
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Maurice
The Return of Frank James (1940) - The story here is a fairly simple tale of revenge and redemption. It's elevated by the cast (Henry Fond, Gene Tierney, John Carradine), Fritz Lang's direction, and the glorious color. I'm very happy with this Twilight Time release.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I finally watched the fifth season of "Luther". I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed with the ending and I'm going to miss John Luther and Alice Morgan dynamic.

1590155708355.png

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Street Scene (Broadway HD) 2018. Kurt Weill's first American opera with lyrics by Langston Hughes, based on Elmer Rice's play which was also the basis for King Vidor's 1931 eponymous classic film. This excellent production from Spain (sung in its original English) was headlined by Patricia Racette, Paulo Szot and Joel Rubio (a native Puerto Rican). This opera is a favorite of mine. Funny, exuberant, tragic and ultimately moving. It works as musical theater and as opera.

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
Trying this one on tonite.

Color out of Space [Blu-ray]

Toronto Argonauts

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
David Thompson
Tonight:

1590199060272.png

Reactions: Dave Moritz

dana martin

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dana Martin
Tonight's Feature
1590208658871.png
Budd Boetticher steps away from the west for a nice crime thriller

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
Tonight's feature at the Frezon home:

The Great Escape

We watched the new Criterion Blu release. It was excellent. But this is one of those films that is SO enjoyable, I forget to think about things like PQ and SQ. What a treat. Those 172 minutes flew right by.

It's not Peg's kind of movie. But she LOVED it. At one point near the end, she remarked, "I can't believe it's still going on so long after the escape got ruined. But it's still riveting." :D That put a BIG smile on my face.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Tonight's feature at the Frezon home:

The Great Escape

We watched the new Criterion Blu release. It was excellent. But this is one of those films that is SO enjoyable, I forget to think about things like PQ and SQ. What a treat. Those 172 minutes flew right by.

It's not Peg's kind of movie. But she LOVED it. At one point near the end, she remarked, "I can't believe it's still going on so long after the escape got ruined. But it's still riveting." :D That put a BIG smile on my face.
Man, I love that movie!

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
An early start to my Memorial Day film tribute was the following this morning on iTunes HD digital:

1590228535299.png

Reactions: bujaki and Mysto

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
Trying this one on tonite.

Color out of Space [Blu-ray]
I enjoyed it No HDR, so my Penny 420 couldn’t tone map it. Picture no better than a BD, upscale to 4K. Audio was pretty good.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I enjoyed it No HDR, so my Penny 420 couldn’t tone map it. Picture no better than a BD, upscale to 4K. Audio was pretty good.
@John Sparks Wait a minute, the box clearly says "HD Ultra" and you're saying the disc doesn't have HDR? Edit: Disregard the following: If so, I'll be returning that disc for false advertising.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derpok