What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I fell in love with Anna Lee when I first saw her play Bronwyn in How Green Was My Valley. Ford gave her such a beautiful entrance that impressed young Huw (and me) so much. I was about Huw's age when I saw the film and was instantly smitten by Bronwyn's beauty and charm.
Adding to my Anna Lee admiration story:
I first saw How Green Was My Valley in a 16mm print when I was around 11-12 years old, ca. 1961-62. I cried like a baby, which I was.
Next I saw it at the Carnegie Hall Cinema in a beautiful 35mm print. Unspoiled, unmarred print. I cried like a baby. I wasn't one.
Then I saw it at MoMA in a stunning, I repeat, stunning 35mm nitrate print. I cried like a baby because I had seldom seen anything as beautiful as Arthur Miller's B&W cinematography. And of course, Ford repeats Bronwyn's entrance at the end of the film, affording me another look at Anna Lee's beauty through my tears.
Thank you Ford, Miller and Lee for such a memory!

I hve been a long time Anna Lee fan myself! My love affair with her started when she was in the waning years of her career as the matriarch of the Quartrmaine family on General Hospital. At that time I knew little of her long, successful career in feature films. I have more than made up for that in subsequent years!

Do you know what part of the world that poster is from? The United States release date for The Lion King was in June, so it's obviously not our poster because it says October.

Not a clue. Go with what Travis says! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Last night's feature for me and Peg:

i-remember-mama-movie-poster.jpg

I Remember Mama is a delightful film. While the the story was unspooled in a rather old-fashioned technique, the richness and simplicity of the various plots and characters more than made up for it. A tremendous cast with heartfelt performances. Great fun!

I watched this on the TCM app. There was a fair amount of dirt and noise on the print. It seems like this should be a film which gets a nice restoration and release sometime.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tonight's feature for me and Peg:

lf

Peg has been asking me for years to show her some Shirley Temple movies. I have held off not wanting to buy those old DVD packages with suspect transfers of her films. I figured a Blu-ray collection was inevitable. Well, in the absence of such a set I was delighted to see that The Little Colonel was available on the TCM app.

What a treat! And again, what a cast! Temple, Barrymore, Robinson, McDaniel. The staircase dance sequence is certainly the high point, but using Temple's personality to melt curmudgeonly ol' Lionel Barrymore (I guess that was his specialty!) was a stroke of genius.

Temple was amazing. Obviously, her history and importance to the film industry is likely unparalleled. Her films should be available in high-definition. TCM's copy of The Little Colonel looked great. I'll keep hoping for that Blu-ray set.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Triple Feature Night
1589870840451.png
Neo- Noir and a solid story, great all around performances

1589870920743.png
Jumped on early to the Twilight Time bandwagon, and pre-ordered this as soon as it was available back when you had to order from Screen Archives, the current thread mad me take another look, and realize it has sat on the shelf unwatched for almost 9 years. Nice Big Budget Epic.

Late Night Drive-In Feature
1589871321033.png

Two Girls Hitchhiking, and the adventures they lead, the end credits has an X rating , for the nudity and simulated sex, but the odd part of that screen is no one under 16 admitted. 16 for an X rated movie, my how times have changed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I Remember Mama is a delightful film. While the the story was unspooled in a rather old-fashioned technique, the richness and simplicity of the various plots and characters more than made up for it. A tremendous cast with heartfelt performances. Great fun!

I watched this on the TCM app. There was a fair amount of dirt and noise on the print. It seems like this should be a film which gets a nice restoration and release sometime.
A good film, but, it's a little too long. I need to watch it again as it's been years since my last viewing. Perhaps, it won't feel long this time.;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tonight's feature for me and Peg:

IHUz_g8afgYNNys-nNx2K9CglMWJHTiytVB8z83sj9WEmF_GCLYBqEhGYdnHK1tn3mMDtHXeRLT6B6u86ISI7FsPpKWERrjSazh8E2Wt4XHbpL0D

Peg has been asking me for years to show her some Shirley Temple movies. I have held off not wanting to buy those old DVD packages with suspect transfers of her films. I figured a Blu-ray collection was inevitable. Well, in the absence of such a set I was delighted to see that The Little Colonel was available on the TCM app.

What a treat! And again, what a cast! Temple, Barrymore, Robinson, McDaniel. The staircase dance sequence is certainly the high point, but using Temple's personality to melt curmudgeonly ol' Lionel Barrymore (I guess that was his specialty!) was a stroke of genius.

Temple was amazing. Obviously, her history and importance to the film industry is likely unparalleled. Her films should be available in high-definition. TCM's copy of The Little Colonel looked great. I'll keep hoping for that Blu-ray set.
Mike,

That TCM app on AppleTV sure comes in handy.:D

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I watched Five Weeks In A Balloon yesterday. It's essentially a children's movie and adults need to be fairly tolerant which I was last night. The Blu-ray disc has been de-grained and the faces of Barbara Eden and Fabian were far too smooth. In other respects, the Blu-ray disc is good.

Five Weeks in a Balloon was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and I watched it regularly well into adulthood. I remember having it on VHS tape to show to my kids. Haven't seen it in years, and now I'm feeling very much like watching it again.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched the U. K. Blu-ray disc of The Iron Curtain, an interesting cold war film starring Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney with June Havoc in a supporting role. The disc is very sub-standard with picture quality no better than that of a mediocre DVD. There are also no sub-titles. If a proper Blu-ray disc worthy of the name comes out, I'll gladly upgrade.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

I love I Remember Mama. I've seen it many times. On one occasion, I saw a 35mm print that was spectacular in its pictorial beauty. Unfortunately, it was a reissue print and it was severely cut. Maybe Robert would have liked it in this shorter version. RKO did this to many of their films. I also saw Gunga Din and It's a Wonderful Life in shortened 35mm reissue versions, but damn, they were beautiful to look at.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Organization (Kino BD) 1971. The third and final merciful appearance of the Tibbs character so indelibly created in the far superior In the Heat of the Night. What great writing and direction brought to that film is missing from this one. Well, at least it has the young Raul Julia. And Poitier is still Poitier.
Leonard Bernstein's Mass (PBS) 2019? I'm assuming this was recorded last summer at the Ravinia Festival in Chicago. Presented under the aegis of Great Performances. Well worth the watch for a striking and moving performance of a still controversial composition.
Hollywood Story (Mill Creek BD) 1951. Not quite cleaned-up print, but very good. And it's a good William Castle mystery with good performances. And Julie Adams. And Julie Adams. And...
The Man from the Alamo (Mill Creek BD) 1953. I hadn't seen this one since I was a kid and it played in my hometown theater. I only recalled the premise: Ford has to leave the Alamo and is branded a coward. He has to fight to regain his honor. And it co-starred Julie Adams. Julie Adams. Julie...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike,

That TCM app on AppleTV sure comes in handy.:D

I am learning that to be true. Sometimes an old dog CAN be taught new tricks!

I'm still kicking & screaming, but coming around. ;)

I forgot to mention the kinda cool two-strip Technicolor segment at the very end of The Little Colonel. Audiences must've been thrilled to see that back in 1935. I was also surprised that the film didn't end with an extreme close-up on Temple.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Watched Conan the Barbarian (1982) in the HD stream on iTunes. All the sound cues were in the right place so I was a happy camper.

i originally saw this on opening night at the Plitt Century Plaza as a freshman at UCLA with a bunch of friends from my dorm. Fond memories.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I forgot to mention the kinda cool two-strip Technicolor segment at the very end of The Little Colonel. Audiences must've been thrilled to see that back in 1935. I was also surprised that the film didn't end with an extreme close-up on Temple.
I believe that's a three-strip Technicolor segment at the end of The Little Colonel. Shirley is in a blue dress if I'm remembering it correctly, something that would have been impossible with two-color Technicolor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks