Tron-Legacy-Poster-Wallpaper.jpg

Reactions: Toronto Argonauts

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
I bought the HD stream of The Prince and the Showgirl from iTunes last night and plan to watch it today. I haven't watched the movie all the way through in many, many years.

Reactions: Mike Boone

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Out of the Blue (Classic Flix BD) 1947. What a pleasant surprise! Everybody was so good in this obscure comedy. Of course, fave Ann Dvorak steals the show, but it's just such a nice way to spend an hour and a half. Beautiful transfer too.
The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid (Shout Select BD) 1972. Well-executed film from writer/director Philip Kaufman detailing the last raid of the Younger/James gang on a bank. Gritty, realistic, funny, brutal.
Five Came Back (WA DVD) 1939. This is an absolutely gorgeous transfer. Effective, tight 75-minute study of people under pressure. Very good cast and direction from John Farrow.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
Is it still the 1.37 transfer?
It is, and I was disappointed with that. I did watch it this afternoon and let my TV zoom the open matte transfer into 1.78:1 with decent results. Though it's based on a hit play, the movie is rather a slug to watch even though Marilyn in many shots is at her most beautiful. Stories are now well known about what a nightmare for Olivier it was to film this with her, but the editing smooths out any performance problems on Marilyn's behalf making it look like she was in full command of her abilities.

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It is, and I was disappointed with that. I did watch it this afternoon and let my TV zoom the open matte transfer into 1.78:1 with decent results. Though it's based on a hit play, the movie is rather a slug to watch even though Marilyn in many shots is at her most beautiful. Stories are now well known about what a nightmare for Olivier it was to film this with her, but the editing smooths out any performance problems on Marilyn's behalf making it look like she was in full command of her abilities.
Thanks; I'd still like a decent transfer with the OAR. The film does have some felicities.

dana martin

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2020-4-2_18-46-41.png

saw the original at the drive i in "77" and everyone that followed suit up to and including Revenge of the Sith, When the force Awakens, i had a grandiose idea that one of the articles i think i read in a Star Log in the 70's might actually happen, and it was good, then Rogue One came and it was good, then Last Jedi, and there he was in all of his glory, the same whiny kid that wanted to go in an get power converters or some crap in the first movie, this wasn't some Jedi Master, so i took a pass on seeing this on the big screen, Not great, not bad, decent popcorn flick , but for something that is supposedly one of the greatest cinematic sagas, personally the ending left me a little flat. That place must have the worlds worst realtor if that property sat barren for 42 years.

Toronto Argonauts

Second Unit
Reaction score
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson

Reactions: Dave Moritz

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Great Waldo Pepper (Shout Select BD) 1975. The same creative team behind Butch Cassidy...is behind this flying saga, and dare I say, it holds up better than the better known film? The story, much like Butch's, is about a dying breed of man and the passing of an era. It's more somber and elegiac than Butch, perhaps reflecting the mood of the country. PQ is good.
Made for Each Other (Kino BD) 1939. The other 1939 Selznick melodrama. Starring James Stewart and Carole Lombard (excellent) as a young married couple facing many vicissitudes. Many many vicissitudes. All's well that ends well. The contributions of Leon Shamroy and William Cameron Menzies are invaluable. The PQ improves as the film progresses.
CSI: Grave Danger (Paramount BD) 2005. The one directed by Tarantino. I'm not familiar with the show, and so I watched it just for the Tarantino factor. My wife bailed after a while once the grave factor kicked in (she's claustrophobic). I know fire ants and that didn't help me either. Good thriller.

Toronto Argonauts

Second Unit
Reaction score
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
upload_2020-4-3_22-28-10.jpeg

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 3rd, 2020 Friday

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker
4K Blu-ray / HDR10
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

Star Wars Collection 4_2020.jpg

Discs are way to tight in the holders which is very irritating!

Reactions: Toronto Argonauts

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
Watched Attack of the 50 ft Woman from the iTunes stream. We all laughed at the cheesy special effects.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Website
gmail.com
Real Name
Michael
The Great Waldo Pepper (Shout Select BD) 1975. The same creative team behind Butch Cassidy...is behind this flying saga, and dare I say, it holds up better than the better known film? The story, much like Butch's, is about a dying breed of man and the passing of an era. It's more somber and elegiac than Butch, perhaps reflecting the mood of the country. PQ is good.
Made for Each Other (Kino BD) 1939. The other 1939 Selznick melodrama. Starring James Stewart and Carole Lombard (excellent) as a young married couple facing many vicissitudes. Many many vicissitudes. All's well that ends well. The contributions of Leon Shamroy and William Cameron Menzies are invaluable. The PQ improves as the film progresses.
CSI: Grave Danger (Paramount BD) 2005. The one directed by Tarantino. I'm not familiar with the show, and so I watched it just for the Tarantino factor. My wife bailed after a while once the grave factor kicked in (she's claustrophobic). I know fire ants and that didn't help me either. Good thriller.
I find your reaction to modern viewings of Butch Cassidy to be a somewhat strange one, since after originally seeing the movie 2 times in theaters, in 1969, and then at a college presentation of it in 1970, or 71, when viewing Butch Cassidy on DVD last weekend, I had as much of a blast watching it, as when first seeing it, over 50 years ago. Of course, maybe having a few beers along with last week's viewing, plus a strong desire to just kick back, and enjoy a flick, to help reduce the stress on an old guy from this coronavirus situation, really helped me to just escape into the movie, & laugh at all of its clever lines, and incidents.

Last edited:

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I find your reaction to modern viewings of Butch Cassidy to be a somewhat strange one, since after originally seeing the movie 2 times in theaters, in 1969, and then at a college presentation of it in 1970, or 71, when viewing Butch Cassidy on DVD last weekend, I had as much of a blast watching it, as when first seeing it, over 50 years ago. Of course, maybe having a few beers along with last week's viewing, plus a strong desire to just kick back, and enjoy a flick, to help reduce the stress on an old guy from this coronavirus situation, really helped me to just escape into the movie, & laugh at all of its clever lines, and incidents.
Mike, don't get me wrong about Butch Cassidy. I too saw it quite often in '69, and several times after that, including more recently on the big screen. It does share a lot of the same qualities as Waldo (a disappearing world peopled with men who no longer fit), and I enjoy it as well. It's funny and sad, and the chemistry between Newman and Redford is palpable. Maybe the Bacharach score has not aged well. The whole bicycle interlude is whimsical but I now find it jarring. Bottom line: I enjoy Butch a lot and I don't mind watching it from time to time (same as with their other collaboration, The Sting).

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just one film, but it was a whopper: 284 minutes!
16 Days of Glory: The 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympic Games (Criterion BD) The template for many of the future documentaries on the Olympic games. It delves in depth into many sports while glossing or omitting many others, but it doesn't feel incomplete. There are many interviews which give the games a human face These are the games where Mary Lou Retton, Carl Davis and Greg Louganis won medals and fame. A shorter version of this doc was released to theaters.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohantbhena