What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Finishing up Christmas movies tonight with The Nativity Story, a very well-made major studio production directed by Catherine Hardwicke (the first Twilight movie, Lords of Dogtown, etc.). It simply tells the story, and for the first time puts some emphasis on Joseph, who's normally that guy off to the side somewhere. As played by Oscar Isaac, he's very much the man of the house and protector of his wiife and child.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Tomorrow is Christmas Day, the very FIRST Day of Christmas. The Twelfth Day of Christmas is January 5th, which is why Shakespeare named the play which takes place the evening of January 5th, Twelfth Night.
Anyway, Merry Christmas tomorrow!
I was away in Houston over the weekend to catch a large exhibit of Norman Rockwell's work centered around his Four American Freedoms. Rapidly eroding these days, alas!
Then on to a Mariachi Opera, The Miracle of Remembrance. Very tuneful and touching.
Last night we watched one of Scorsese's Republic restorations:
Laughing Anne (AppleTV stream) 1953. Based on a Joseph Conrad story. Starring Wendell Corey and Margaret Lockwood. Shot in Technicolor and directed by Herbert Wilcox. Surprisingly good.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
220px-Arthur_Christmas_Poster.jpg

A fun film
movie-white-christmas.jpg

Another yearly event

Merry Christmas HTF

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Merry Christmas, Marv, and to everyone else here at the HTF!

Have only been able to squeeze in one Christmas-type movie this year, but it was a good 'un:

3-godfathers.jpg

Gorgeously shot, this just might be John Ford's best-looking film. Strong performances from the leads, and a moving story.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Merry Christmas, Marv, and to everyone else here at the HTF!

Have only been able to squeeze in one Christmas-type movie this year, but it was a good 'un:

3-godfathers.jpg

Gorgeously shot, this just might be John Ford's best-looking film. Strong performances from the leads, and a moving story.
Yes indeed as I'm having my annual viewing of it right now. This beautiful looking movie really deserves a Blu-ray release. Anyhow, the iTunes HD Digital looks really good.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Shack (2017): What does an unwashed heathen watch on Christmas Eve? I chose this one. It's always interesting to watch a movie that has a 22% critics rating and 77% viewer rating on RT. I saw a lot of condemning it for being "preachy" or "intolerant", and similar things from critics. It's an interesting movie with an extremely ambitious story line that probably asks a little too much of some viewers. Even from my perspective, I don't find it preachy at all. I find it hopeful, idealistic, and like I said, ambitious. I can't say I completely buy everything it's selling, but that's fine. I genuinely appreciate the effort. Octavia Spencer really is quite good in this.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A Hidden Life (DCP) 2019. Terrence Malick's take on a modern Thomas More. It is the story of a man who will not take an oath to a leader (Hitler) who spears an immoral regime which goes against every fiber of his conscience. Parallels to today are pointed. The story is told in fragmented Malick style and accompanied by gorgeous cinematography and music.
The Titfield Thunderbolt (Film Movement BD) 1953. Ealing's first Technicolor production, and it's quite fetching. A winning comedy directed by Charles Crichton and featuring a group of great English comedians. A town attempts to save a railroad line with hilarious results. Perfect viewing after a the somberness of A Hidden Life.
Days of Christmas (Netflix HD) 2019. 3-part Spanish miniseries, each part taking part on a Christmas day taking place many decades apart in the history of a family. Engrossing and well acted. My sole concession to the Christmas day.
Fair Wind to Java (iTunes HD). 1953. A Trucolor spectacular from Republic starring Fred MacMurray and Vera Ralston (playing a half-caste). The film is an adventure yarn with a spectacular finish on Krakatoa, west of Java, you can imagine when, followed by a tidal wave.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A Hidden Life (DCP) 2019. Terrence Malick's take on a modern Thomas More. It is the story of a man who will not take an oath to a leader (Hitler) who spears an immoral regime which goes against every fiber of his conscience. Parallels to today are pointed. The story is told in fragmented Malick style and accompanied by gorgeous cinematography and music.
The Titfield Thunderbolt (Film Movement BD) 1953. Ealing's first Technicolor production, and it's quite fetching. A winning comedy directed by Charles Crichton and featuring a group of great English comedians. A town attempts to save a railroad line with hilarious results. Perfect viewing after a the somberness of A Hidden Life.
Days of Christmas (Netflix HD) 2019. 3-part Spanish miniseries, each part taking part on a Christmas day taking place many decades apart in the history of a family. Engrossing and well acted. My sole concession to the Christmas day.
Fair Wind to Java (iTunes HD). 1953. A Trucolor spectacular from Republic starring Fred MacMurray and Vera Ralston (playing a half-caste). The film is an adventure yarn with a spectacular finish on Krakatoa, west of Java, you can imagine when, followed by a tidal wave.
A Hidden Life sounds intriguing. It might be an interesting double feature with Mother Night, which is on sale for $5 in iTunes.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Followed that up with an earlier version of "You've Got Mail":

5153WKjYkZL.jpg
One of the great films! And featuring an endearing, unforgettable character: Pepi Katona.
I viewed the Garland remake in spite of Van Johnson, but I'll never cross the line into viewing Meg Ryan's version, who incidentally said that she never could understand what was so special about the Lubitsch version. I rest my case.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
December 25th, 2019 Wednesday (Christmas Day)

Merry Christmas

The following may not be Christmas titles but I needed to catch up on my plan to watch the Star Wars saga in storyline order before going to see Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker in the theater.

The Empire Strikes Back
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio to Auro 2D 7.1
empire_strikes_back_ver1_xlg.jpg

The Return Of The Jedi
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio to Auro 2D 7.1

star wars episode vi return of the jedi.jpg

The Mandalorian Episode 5 & 6
Disney +
4K Dolby Vision
5.1 Dolby to Auro 7.1

The last remaining films are The Force Awakens & The Last Jedi and the plan hopefully is to see The Rise Of Skywalker at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood.

Star Wars_f.jpg

Santa Clause 2
Disney +
HD Digital upconverted to 4K
Dolby to Auro 7.1

Down to two of the last Star Wars movies in the saga which would be The Force Awakens (4K Digital) & The Last Jedi (4K Blu-ray)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I had our first-ever (and also last-ever) viewing tonight of:

Operation_Petticoat_poster.jpg

We were extremely disappointed. We didn't hardly laugh once. It just didn't speak to us. There were some odd choices which included a fair amount of accuracy in how submarines leave dock and submerge, etc. About the only positive I'm taking away from this one is Joan O'Brien.

MV5BODhlM2VlNjEtZjU2OC00NzIzLThlZGMtNGMyMTUzYTE2ZjQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

We are now cleansing our palate with La La Land. :laugh:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Peg and I had our first-ever (and also last-ever) viewing tonight of:

Operation_Petticoat_poster.jpg

We were extremely disappointed. We didn't hardly laugh once. It just didn't speak to us. There were some odd choices which included a fair amount of accuracy in how submarines leave dock and submerge, etc. About the only positive I'm taking away from this one is Joan O'Brien.

MV5BODhlM2VlNjEtZjU2OC00NzIzLThlZGMtNGMyMTUzYTE2ZjQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

We are now cleansing our palate with La La Land. :laugh:
I've never found Operation Petticoat laugh out loud funny either. I agree about Joan O'Brien whom I saw the other day in The Comancheros. She was quite something on the screen and she should have become a big star.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Must be a film more of its time. I saw it first at Radio City Music Hall, and even though I was young, I remember the place rocking with laughter. Seeing it as an adult in our time now, I don't find it fall down funny either, but it's pleasant enough.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Must be a film more of its time. I saw it first at Radio City Music Hall, and even though I was young, I remember the place rocking with laughter. Seeing it as an adult in our time now, I don't find it fall down funny either, but it's pleasant enough.
Right, it's a film that hasn't aged well. However, I still find the movie enjoyable whenever I watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks