What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
War and Peace: Part Four (Criterion BD) 1967. Last section of this great epic. The sack and burning of Moscow beggars description; the retreat from Moscow of the French army is simply staggering. This is epic and intimate film making in a scale of inventiveness that is only equaled by Gance's Napoleon. Having read the book for a second time within the last decade,
I've long recognized that you have exceptional stamina by the number of films you manage to watch in a single day. But that you've somehow read Tolstoy's novel twice is super impressive! :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've long recognized that you have exceptional stamina by the number of films you manage to watch in a single day. But that you've somehow read Tolstoy's novel twice is super impressive! :)
Tolstoy's novel is that good! Read once in your youth and once in your maturity: two different experiences!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Manny & Lo (Criterion Channel) 1996. Very young Scarlett Johansson. Two young sisters on the lam kidnap a woman who they think might help them with the pregnancy of the older sister. Good film.
A Lesson in Love (Criterion BD) 1954. Bergman's first comedy, and a successful one at that. Inspired pairing of Eva Dahlbeck and Gunnar Bjornstrand.
1952 Helsinki Summer Olympics: Where the World Meets (Criterion BD) Another exciting entry which continues to amaze for its cinematography and editing. Bob Mathias, at 21, wins the Decathlon for the second time!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Did you watch this on a projector and would it look better on a smaller screen?
I had a look at this today on a 50" plasma, and it's more acceptable at that size than on a 10' wide screen. It's still not good but it's not distracting either.

One curious feature of this film is that Thomas Brown Henry who play the police captain Kerrigan gets no screen credit even though his supporting role is important.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight is Shallow Grave...BD

shallow grave.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Gold and Glory: 1952 Helsinki Olympic Games (Criterion BD) More coverage, still exciting. 17-year-old Floyd Patterson wins Gold!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just came back from Gemini Man in IMAX 3D+ Laser projection HFR of 60 (alas, 120 not available in Dallas). I enjoyed it and I don't find the HFR offensive. Silent movies were projected at variable speeds that could go as slow as 16 fps; and 24 fps was not the standard until late in the silent era and into talking pictures.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Silent movies were projected at variable speeds that could go as slow as 16 fps; and 24 fps was not the standard until late in the silent era and into talking pictures.
I believe some even went below 16 fps. But, that's off the top of my head.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Bright Victory, a film I don't remember seeing before. It's a good movie, without a scrap of cheap sentiment, about a man, blinded in combat in WW2, adjusting to a new way of life and taking a good look at himself while doing so. In one scene the "N" word is used very effectively, partly because it comes out of the blue. I was impressed by a young Julie Adams who, it seems to me, brings more subtlety and precision to her role than the screenplay expected. In the opening sequence an uncredited Rock Hudson is clearly recognisable.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Today I watched Bright Victory, a film I don't remember seeing before. It's a good movie, without a scrap of cheap sentiment, about a man, blinded in combat in WW2, adjusting to a new way of life and taking a good look at himself while doing so. In one scene the "N" word is used very effectively, partly because it comes out of the blue. I was impressed by a young Julie Adams who, it seems to me, brings more subtlety and precision to her role than the screenplay expected. In the opening sequence an uncredited Rock Hudson is clearly recognisable.
I've always liked this movie and I agree with your assessment of it. Adams (a favorite) transforms her character subtly, making way for Dow. Kennedy, an unsung actor, won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for this performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks