What's on your Daily Viewing List?

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I wonder where they found stereo tracks for a mono film.
I know that for musicals at MGM, in the 1940s, they often put microphones in 2 areas of the orchestra and recorded from 2 perspectives. These “stems” were combined for the mono soundtrack.

If the stems still exist today, they can be combined for stereo. That is why late 40s musicals like “The Harvey Girls” and “Meet Me In St. Louis” have some numbers in Stereo on CD and DVD/Blu ray, depending on what stems are still in existence.

Perhaps this is what happened with the film you are discussing.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since Netflix has dropped the second season of Mindhunter, I've been watching an episode a day in my usual fashion. This is a show that gets under your skin.

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One False Move (1992): A gritty, low budget cops and drug dealers drama from director Carl Franklin, co-written by Billy Bob Thornton (with Tom Epperson), who also co-stars. Also notable as Bill Paxton's first starring role, though he'd gotten a lot of attention in supporting roles in movies like Aliens and Near Dark. Thornton wasn't very well known at the time either. Paxton plays a manic small town Arkansas Police Chief as a trio of violent drug dealers drives toward his town after a series of rather nasty drug related murders in Los Angeles and Houston. Paxton is sort of an amped up, 'R' rated version of Andy Taylor. In fact, there's one sequence in the movie that's lifted straight out of an episode of The Andy Griffith Show(!).

It's a well made (and at times, rather vicious) movie, and I've seen it several times through the years. This time, the low budget kind of stuck out to me (it was originally direct-to-video), but that's probably because movies have simply gotten so polished these days. Even the smaller ones. It's still a movie I recommend for anyone who enjoys the more brutal crime dramas.

Last edited:

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
One False Move (1992): A gritty, low budget cops and drug dealers drama from director Carl Franklin, co-written by Billy Bob Thornton (with Tom Epperson), who also co-stars. Also notable as Bill Paxton's first starring role, though he'd gotten a lot of attention in supporting roles in movies like Aliens and Near Dark. Thornton wasn't very well known at the time either. Paxton plays a manic small town Arkansas Police Chief as a trio of violent drug dealers drives toward his town after a series of rather nasty drug related murders in Los Angeles and Houston. Paxton is sort of an amped up, 'R' rated version of Andy Taylor. In fact, there's one sequence in the movie that's lifted straight out of an episode of The Andy Griffith Show(!).

It's a well made (and at times, rather vicious) movie, and I've seen it several times through the years. This time, the low budget kind of stuck out to me (it was originally direct-to-video), but that's probably because movies have simply gotten so polished these days. Even the smaller ones. It's still a movie I recommend for anyone who enjoys the more brutal crime dramas.
Another impressive effort that I saw back when it opened and not since. Glad that you appreciate it as well.

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Another impressive effort that I saw back when it opened and not since. Glad that you appreciate it as well.
I never came across anyone who actually saw it in a theater, though I've read it did have an extremely limited run in a couple cities.

Robin9

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched a little-known film, Portrait Of Alison which I found really absorbing. The two leading players had no star quality at all and it would be interesting to see this story done again with actors with a bit of charisma.

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm considering digging into some camp. I have two or three weird, obscure titles in mind, and I just received the remastered steelbook of Lifeforce. I'm not sure which version of that to watch.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Hopscotch (Criterion BD) 1980. Droll pairing of Walter Matthau and Glenda Jackson in a cat-and-mouse story of an agent getting his revenge on a stupid bureaucrat. I last saw this when it opened and I still find it delightful. Very good PQ.
Cold in July (IFC BD) 2014. A fellow HTF member recommended this Jim Mickle film, and I'll pass along the recommendation. A break-in and a shooting takes the lead character and us into very dark alleys. Great work from veterans Don Johnson and Sam Shepard.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm considering digging into some camp. I have two or three weird, obscure titles in mind, and I just received the remastered steelbook of Lifeforce. I'm not sure which version of that to watch.
I went with the long version. It's been years (since the premiere) since I watched the short one so I wouldn't be able to judge. But I enjoy the movie and I believe one of the characters is named Dr. H (is it Hans?) Fallada. If it is Hans Fallada, could it be an homage to the great German writer who was churning out anti-Nazi novels in his homeland while Hitler was in power? What guts! Could you listen for me whether his name is Hans?

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I probably should watch Cold in July again. Michael C Hall (Dexter) was in that too, wasn't he? There have been several movies in that same vein in recent years. No Country For Old Men probably being the most well known.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I probably should watch Cold in July again. Michael C Hall (Dexter) was in that too, wasn't he? There have been several movies in that same vein in recent years. No Country For Old Men probably being the most well known.
Hall is our main character. He undergoes quite a transformation.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
@John Rice, Dr. Fallada in Lifeforce is named Hans. On purpose, I don't know. Are you acquainted with Hans Fallada's novels? They are very good. At least 2 of them have been filmed. Little Man, What Now?, directed by the great Frank Borzage and starring the sublime Margaret Sullavan; and Alone in Berlin, starring Brendan Gleeson and Emma Thompson.

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
August 20th, 2019 Tuesday

The Prestige
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K UHD
5.1 Uncrompressed PCM (48KHz, 24bit) upmixed to 7.1 Auro 2D

prestige_2006.jpg

Drive Angry
1080p HD (Dish Network DVR)