What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess I don't understand what Ghostbusters and Oceans 8 have to do with Captain Marvel. Wonder Woman was good.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Green Dolphin Street via the Warner Archive DVD-R. I'm a Lana Turner fan. If Lana wasn't in this film, I don't think I'd have to patience to see it through to the end.

Tomorrow I might begin Criterion's new Blu-ray disc of War And Peace. I know I won't be able to take that in one sitting!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (Arrow BD) 1988. Directed by Vincent Ward. A group of 14th century Cumbrian villagers attempt to escape the Black Death by burrowing a tunnel to the other side of the world. They surface in 1988 New Zealand. Fascinating.
My Man Godfrey (Criterion BD) Revisiting an old childhood favorite. Undimmed through the years, even after multiple viewings, including a 35mm print. A perfect film.
Adventures of Zatoichi (Criterion BD) More background on Zatoichi's past; more breathtaking swordplay. High quality standards maintained.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (Arrow BD) 1988. Directed by Vincent Ward. A group of 14th century Cumbrian villagers attempt to escape the Black Death by burrowing a tunnel to the other side of the world. They surface in 1988 New Zealand. Fascinating.
That’s an interesting movie. Well done cinematography.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What happened to THE PRESTIGE and THE ILLUSIONIST???

I realize this was meant for Don but I have The Prestige and that is a really good movie, will have to put it in rotation sometime this month. And will have to admit I have never seen The Illusionist and it sounds like I need to see that sometime soon. :D

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Today I watched Green Dolphin Street via the Warner Archive DVD-R. I'm a Lana Turner fan. If Lana wasn't in this film, I don't think I'd have to patience to see it through to the end.

Tomorrow I might begin Criterion's new Blu-ray disc of War And Peace. I know I won't be able to take that in one sitting!
I have completed the first half and am enjoying it. The funny thing is that although it is a period piece and made in the USSR, there is something about it that still screams “‘60s!!!”

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (TT BD) A Jackie Chan show that reminded me of The Karate Kid with a lot more humor and much more serious consequences at stake.
The Chase (TT BD) The Marlon Brando one, written by Lillian Hellman from a Horton Foote source. Terror in a Texas town. Were these leads ever so young? I saw this way back in 1966. I didn't live in TX then. I do now.
The Keys of the Kingdom (TT BD) Another fine film from my teenage years, last seen, I think, in a 16mm print. I really like movies directed by John M. Stahl. This is one of them.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2019-8-9_13-45-34.png

2nd try, and finally got to enjoy it, was a little distracted the first time and every time Boyer spoke all i could picture was Pepe Le Pew, still love this film but just cant watch Loony Tunes for a while.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Martha Marcy May Marlene: A fascinating, unusual, low key movie about Martha (Elizabeth Olsen), a young woman who reappears after an unexplained two year absence. She spends the next few weeks trying to adapt to the real world, living with her sister Lucy (Sarah Paulson) and Lucy's husband (Hugh Dancy) in the well-appointed lakeside home they rent in northern Connecticut. Martha spent the previous two years at an upstate New York commune, and the experience has left her mind traumatized and fractured. The story is told in a severely disjointed (for the audience) manner, but that, as well as the ending (which annoys a lot of people), and even the title are all aspects of Martha's state of mind. It will take most people more than one viewing to get their bearings, but the narrative style is not a gimmick.

This was my third viewing of Martha Marcy May Marlene in about as many years, and this time I found myself wondering who is actually more dysfunctional. Martha, who has lost any sense of boundaries, or Lucy who has far too many boundaries. It's a spectacular story. The visual style will probably put off a lot of people. It is extremely flat, muddy and colorless, which is probably (the best I can guess) a reflection of Marcy.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Event Horizon: I originally saw this in the theater when it came out. Just gave it another spin.

Really not a good movie.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Drunken Master (TT BD) Jackie Chan learns to fight while fueling his skills with wine (like Popeye with spinach). But what fighting!
Gustavo Dudamel conducts the Vienna Philarmonic Summer Concert (PBS HD) It it what it is. Mostly American music in spectacular surroundings.
Sayonara (TT BD) Revisiting another Brando movie from my early days. Very good transfer.
The Shining Hour (WA DVD) Very old TV master of a Borzage movie starring Joan Crawford and the transcendental Margaret Sullavan (a personal favorite). Another story of love gained through sacrifice and redemption. Quite touching.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Whiplash: I have a theory about appreciating movies. That there's no valid reason to hate any movie. If you hate a movie, it's probably your fault, not the movie's. I first watched Whiplash about four years ago, and I hated it, with a passion. It annoyed the hell out of me. Lately I'd been wondering if I just had the wrong idea about it. I thought it was condoning, even justifying abusively cruel behavior as motivation for greatness. So, I watched it again this afternoon, and I clearly got the wrong impression that first time around.

That theory is probably a topic for it's own thread, so I'll move on.

Needless to say, I got a completely different impression of Whiplash this second time. Fletcher (J. K. Simmons) clearly is not being held up as a productive motivator. I found it a lot more realistic this time. In fact, it struck me how I was reminded of an insecure college professor I encountered, who had just as much effect on my senior year of college as Fletcher had on Andrew (Miles Teller). He was nearly as big a jerk as Fletcher, and every bit as insecure and egotistical. So a major story detail that fell flat for me the first time, definitely resonated the second. The first time through, I was also bothered by Andrew's worship of Buddy Rich, but now I wonder if there's a subtle parallel in that detail. I hope someone here gets what I'm alluding to.

I definitely enjoyed the movie more this time, but I still don't think it quite measures up to the hype. In particular, there's a change in a character in the final minutes that simply doesn't fly for me. It's a lot more like Ordinary People than I understood the first time through.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks