What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Adore (Paramount BD) Directed by Anne Fontaine, a director I like. Starring Robin Wright and Naomi Watts. Co-scripted by Fontaine and Christopher Hampton from a Doris Lessing story. Two middle-aged women (who have been life-long friends) are swept into affairs with their respective sons. Handled delicately and very well acted.
The Gumball Rally (WA BD) Utter mindless nonsense, perfect after Adore. The Archive's work is top notch.
That was Monday. Tuesday's viewing was:
The Lion King (IMAX 3D DCP) Beautifully shot by Caleb Deschanel. The rest was CGI I suppose.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Chief Crazy Horse (aka Valley Of Fury) which I saw as a small boy when it first came out. Until today, I'd never seen it again, not even on television. I'd forgotten most of it but some scenes and individual shots I remembered immediately.

The German Blu-ray disc is good, perhaps too good. It shows very clearly what was stock footage - blurred, seemingly out of focus - and the difficulties the make-up man seemed to be having, particularly with Suzan Ball in her scenes when she is near to death. The main scenes are all very well presented on this Blu-ray disc. There are English and German soundtracks but no sub-titles.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
July 24th, 2019 Wednesday

Crimson Tide
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K UHD
5.1 Uncompressed PCM upmixed to 7.1 Auro 2D

crimson-tide-poster.jpg

The Haunting
480p DVD upconverted to 4K
DTS-ES 6.1 upmixed to Auro 2D 7.1

The Haunting.jpg

Home Alone
1080i Dish Network DVR
Dobly 5.1

home alone film poster.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Glass Bottom Boat (WA BD) Frank Tashlin and Doris Day heaven. Beautiful work from the Archives.
The Baker's Wife (Criterion BD) Pagnol's study of limitless love with a sublime turn from Raimu. What a pleasure to finally see this great film in a transfer that does justice to its innate sublimity. Gone are the memories of murky, poorly subtitled prints. Grab this one!
Criss Cross (Shout Select) One of the great noirs. Burt Lancaster was on a roll! Yvonne De Carlo makes an alluring femme fatale. Franz (Frank) Planer's B&W cinematography is outstanding in this transfer. It took me back to the one time I saw this film in a flawless 35mm print at the Bleecker St. Cinema in NYC a lifetime ago. Grab this one as well!

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
With the death of Rutger Hauer I decided watch my DVD of Split Second tonight, it’s been on my watch list for a while. Besides the obvious BladeRunner and Ladyhawke I enjoyed everything I have seen him in. I would also recommend Fatherland and Inside the Third Reich although neither was released on DVD as far as I know.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, watching "Uptight" (1968) remake of "The Informer" (1935). The HD digital is selling on iTunes for $4.99 and it looks very good on my OLED.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have Archer from Wednesday and Elementary from Thursday to watch. I also started watching a new sci-fi series Another Life on Netflix yesterday.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Today, watching "Uptight" (1968) remake of "The Informer" (1935). The HD digital is selling on iTunes for $4.99 and it looks very good on my OLED.
I bought the Olive release of Uptight and watched it some time ago. It is a very good adaptation of the original story. Great cast and acting.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last night I was able to watch only one film in a very ragged condition. I recorded it off TCM.
Living on Velvet (1934) Directed by Frank Borzage. Another story of redemption through transcendental love. It's amazing how he got performances from George Brent and Kay Francis. The screenwriters wrote a scene where they wickedly make fun of Kay's inability to "pwonounce" her "r"s. She plays it sportingly.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched The Defiant Ones which I hadn't seen for a long time. I'd forgotten that Cara Williams is it. She's good and completely different from her roles in Never Steal Anything Small and Meet Me In Las Vegas. Claude Akins once again is cast as a villain and Lon Chaney Jnr is good in an unusual role.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last night I watched The Defiant Ones which I hadn't seen for a long time. I'd forgotten that Cara Williams is it. She's good and completely different from her roles in Never Steal Anything Small and Meet Me In Las Vegas. Claude Akins once again is cast as a villain and Lon Chaney Jnr is good in an unusual role.
Robin,

Did you watch it on Eureka's BD release? If so, how is the PQ?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Bandit Queen (TT BD) An astonishing film portraying the brutality of the caste system in India and the violence perpetrated against women. Unflinching in its brutality but never graphic.
Swing Time (Criterion BD) Something light and delightful after Bandit Queen. Fred and Ginger and Kern and Stevens: pure magic.
The Raven (Scream BD) Karloff & Lugosi in another fanciful Poe "adaptation." Very good transfer and the leads are appropriately scary.
1984 (Criterion BD) I don't recall ever having seen this one. The rallies look awfully familiar as the people are fed lies. And yet, the human spirit can't be totally broken. There's still hope. Excellent transfer.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robin,

Did you watch it on Eureka's BD release? If so, how is the PQ?
I did. The picture quality is very good.

If you're thinking of importing this, there's also a very good "talking heads" interview with Kim Newman who has some interesting observations. For example, something I had always over looked, two people in conflict handcuffed together comes from The Thirty-Nine Steps.

And for those for whom these are crucial: there are sub-titles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks