What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (6 Viewers)

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
81neVJKiuJL._SL1500_.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I started Queen of Outer Space last night on the TCM app. I thought I had seen it long ago, but nothing about it was familiar yet (other than those costumes taken from Forbidden Planet). I got them to Venus but before they'd met any inhabitants, and I got restless with its abysmal science and cut-rate production values. Maybe I'll finish it today, or maybe I'll just head on to something else.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched the excellent Warner Archive Blu-ray disc of Big Wednesday. I've always enjoyed this film but I hadn't seen it for a long time, and last night was the first time I realised it's a companion piece to It's Always Fair Weather. It's not primarily about surfing; it's about friendship over an extended period while the friends are maturing and developing. I think Big Wednesday is a good film.

I was going to watch a Max Ophuls film tonight but in view of the sad news, I'll watch a Doris Day movie.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I also enjoyed Big Wednesday on its latest incarnation as a WA BD.
Saddened by Ms. Day's death. Long, rewarding (I hope) life, though.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This is going to be a heavy TV viewing week since many shows are either having their season finales this week or are starting the first of two-part season finales that will wind up next week. If I can squeeze in a film today, I'll return to my stack of discs waiting for some attention and pick one out.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Eyes of Orson Welles (TCM HD) Interesting documentary by Mark Cousins. Off the beaten path.
Cat People (Criterion BD) Musuraca's lighting, Tourneur's direction, Bodeen's evocative script...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've had a busy day. Picked up my new cable box to replace the fried one from the weekend and got it installed. Then got tonight's shows set to be recorded. Then, I got caught up on last night's shows that I recorded on my Fire TV Recast. Finally, I streamed Nancy Goes to Rio from the TCM app. (It hasn't been given an HD transfer yet, at least not one that TCM has access to.)

A very full afternoon.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
51NZ1AZPF2L.jpg

Remembering -
This movie had a lot of lasts:
Last full musical for Doris Day
Last movie with Busby Berkeley as choreographer
Last orchestrations from Conrad Salinger who passed away during production

It also has the distinction of being one of the very few box office bombs from Doris. Although it didn't do that well when released - it is an enjoyable watch and well worth the time. R.I.P. Doris.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Billy-Roses-Jumbo-1962.jpg

Remembering -

It also has the distinction of being one of the very few box office bombs from Doris. Although it didn't do that well when released - it is an enjoyable watch and well worth the time. R.I.P. Doris.
Hey you...get back to those threads where I'm used to seeing you. You're scaring me by your absence...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Gay Falcon and The Falcon Takes Over (TCM app) Enjoyable programmers starring George Sanders.
Fosse/Verdon (FX HD) What a great showcase for both leads!
Yours, Mine and Ours (TCM app) Very funny tale of extended families with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda.
You Only Live Once (Classic Flix BD) Fritz Lang's film of lovers trying to outrun their fate. With Sylvia Sydney and Henry Fonda.
The Sheik (Kino BD) Valentino in 1921 in the role that was parodied no end. Not a great film by any means, but essential in the understanding of his allure at the time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Billy-Roses-Jumbo-1962.jpg

Remembering -

It's funny; Jumbo has never had much success. The original Broadway show only ran half a year (much shorter than expected) and didn't turn a profit, and the national tour was such a fiasco that it ended soon after it started. And yet, it has that great batch of Rodgers and Hart songs. I've always found the movie a very enjoyable watch.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It's funny; Jumbo has never had much success. The original Broadway show only ran half a year (much shorter than expected) and didn't turn a profit, and the national tour was such a fiasco that it ended soon after it started. And yet, it has that great batch of Rodgers and Hart songs. I've always found the movie a very enjoyable watch.
I saw Jumbo when it came out and loved it then; still do. How can one go wrong with those glorious songs sung by DD, and which I memorized by playing the original soundtrack to death? Her rendition of Little Girl Blue breaks your heart; My Romance just soars. Ah, what memories of being 12-13 and my treble voice breaking.
I also saw Love Me or Leave Me, The Man Who Knew Too Much (several times) upon release. I had to catch up with the earlier ones later. A lot of pleasure. Thanks for being such a great part of my (and my mom's) life.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Apparently it was one of the last shows to run in the Hippodrome. This was a vast auditorium really only suitable for a circus. It had not been profitable for years and was torn down soon after.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks