What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Need to plan out the first movies I will watch after I purchase and receive my new Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray player from Value Electronics! Going to be fun checking out the HDR optimizer on the Panasonic and that player should be a big step up from my current Samsung 8500 4K UHD blu-ray player!

First movie with the UB9000 might be a re-watch of Alien in 4K or Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol2 in 4K or maybe Hacksaw Ridge in 4K.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On Blu-ray, "This Gun for Hire" (1942) A great looking disc with a very informative audio commentary.

MV5BYzMwODBlNDYtZDYxZS00NzMxLWI3YjItMzgxMGU0YjZiMjIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc0MzMzNjA@._V1_.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yesterday:
Kean (Flicker Alley DVD) 1924 French film directed by Alexandre Volkoff, starring Ivan Mosjoukine. Based, ever so lightly, on the life of the famous 19th century British thespian, Edmund Kean.
The Corruption of Chris Miller (Vinegar Syndrome BD) Spanish "giallo" directed by JA Bardem (Death of a Cyclist). Starring Jean Seberg and Marisol.
Assignment Paris (Mill Creek BD) 1952, ably directed by Robert Parrish, with two beautiful women: Marta Toren and Audrey Totter; and Dana Andrews and George Sanders.
The Miami Story (Mill Creek BD) 1954. Taut thriller starring Barry Sullivan and favorite Beverly Garland.
La Terre (Image DVD) The Milestone Collection. French film released in 1921. Directed by A. Antoine. Based on the novel by E. Zola. A retelling of the Lear story in the French countryside populated by common folk. Needs a modern restoration.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I stumbled on Pal Joey on Prime this evening. It's a 1080p stream though I didn't think it looked as good as the Twilight Time Blu-ray release. Still, it was nice to see that it's available for those who didn't get it on disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This afternoon I settled on The Gypsy Moths from the TCM app. I saw this at Radio City Music Hall a million years ago and never since. Not a great film even with a great director and wonderful stars in the leads, but those aerial shots were certainly impressive all those years ago at Radio City, and I did enjoy seeing them again today.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last night:.
Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion (Arrow BD Zone AB) Spectacular, stylish Japanese exploitation fun film. First in a series of 4 films.
Asylum (Severin BD) Gorgeous Barbara Parkins and Charlotte Rampling in 1972! And Peter Cushing (not gorgeous, alas).
Therese Raquin (Kino DVD) Ancient transfer of a 1953 French film based on Zola's novel; directed by Marcel Carne; starring the incomparable Simone Signoret and Raf Vallone.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the original The Killers yesterday, another Robert Siodmak/Woody Bedell masterwork.

Not sure what I'll watch today. I want to have another viewing of D Day The Sixth of June but I have Big Wednesday on Blu-ray waiting plus two Max Ophuls Blu-rays: Madame De and Le Plaisir.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I watched the original The Killers yesterday, another Robert Siodmak/Woody Bedell masterwork.

Not sure what I'll watch today. I want to have another viewing of D Day The Sixth of June but I have Big Wednesday on Blu-ray waiting plus two Max Ophuls Blu-rays: Madame De and Le Plaisir.
Love The Killers. Even Big Wednesday is better than D Day The Sixth of June. I have the French BD of Madame D. Which version of Le Plaisir do you own?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last night I attended the Fort Worth Opera premiere performance of a mariachi (not kidding!) opera: El pasado nunca se termina (The Past Is Never Finished). Very tuneful and very moving.
As soon as I got home I started watching:
Rocco and His Brothers (MoC BD Zone B) Visconti's extraordinary 1961 film in a beautiful 4K restoration supervised by Giuseppe Rotunno. It didn't even feel long at 177 minutes. Starring Alain Delon and Annie Girardot.
Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 (Arrow BD) The second installment in the Scorpion series. Wildly inventive and entertaining.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Love The Killers. Even Big Wednesday is better than D Day The Sixth of June. I have the French BD of Madame D. Which version of Le Plaisir do you own?
I enjoy D Day The Sixth Of June. It stars Robert Taylor and Dana Wynter, both of whom I like a lot plus Robert Gist ( who's he? ask the plebs) whom I also like. Unless my ears are playing tricks on me - quite possible - the music score seems to be playing a weird variation of You'll Never Know much of the time. The DVD is poor. Any Blu-ray disc would require a lot of work on the elements.

My Blu-ray disc of Le Plaisir is the Arrow U. K one which comes with a booklet and a DVD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I lost power last night during a huge thunderstorm, so the DVR didn't record White Heat. I awoke this morning to find my DVR not functional (it's hooked up to a surge protector, but somehow it got fried), so I can't record the rebroadcast at 10 a.m. either. I have to hope the Eddie Muller version of the movie is on the TCM app which I'll check later this morning.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I lost power last night during a huge thunderstorm, so the DVR didn't record White Heat. I awoke this morning to find my DVR not functional (it's hooked up to a surge protector, but somehow it got fried), so I can't record the rebroadcast at 10 a.m. either. I have to hope the Eddie Muller version of the movie is on the TCM app which I'll check later this morning.
@Matt Hough I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Yes, it's on the TCM app.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
ILi lost power last night during a huge thunderstorm, so the DVR didn't record White Heat. I awoke this morning to find my DVR not functional (it's hooked up to a surge protector, but somehow it got fried), so I can't record the rebroadcast at 10 a.m. either. I have to hope the Eddie Muller version of the movie is on the TCM app which I'll check later this morning.
Lightning surges can come through cable as well as power lines. I fried a TV 2 years ago that was on a surge protector strip.

It sucks. Hope you get everything back to normal soon.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Today on our big screen we watched Captain Marvel. Who needs to wait - watch it now.
It was great and they actually made Captain Marvel a MAN. What creative thinking.
captain-marvel.jpg

Now we have to watch chapter 2. ;)

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
After a recital by Three Tenors from the Metropolitan Opera (at the Dallas Opera), whose voices reduced me to tears of aesthetic joy, I went home and watched:
The Vampire and the Ballerina (Scream/Shout BD) Italian version. Fun film. The 8mm digest version is a hoot!
Rope of Sand (Olive BD) Dieterle's fine, violent, film noir, stolen by Claude Rains.
City That Never Sleeps (Olive BD) John H. Auer's noir set in Chicago. Good thriller.
The File on Thelma Jordon (Olive BD) Siodmak's noir in a disappointing transfer.
All the noirs were beautifully lit, even if the transfers were not uniformly great.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
A1kYWlaMrXL._SY445_.jpg

When this first came out I didn't care much for it. Watched it today but decided to view it as an action movie not Sherlock. Not too bad. (But not Sherlock)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A1kYWlaMrXL._SY445_.jpg

When this first came out I didn't care much for it. Watched it today but decided to view it as an action movie not Sherlock. Not too bad. (But not Sherlock)
Not a classical interpretation of Sherlock, that's for sure. There are moments where one could settle into accepting this as legit Sherlock Holmes, but then it veers off on another wild tangent and does its own thing again. I did greatly appreciate a new villain rather than the tired, overused characters from earlier stories and films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks