What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
220px-Reluctant_Dragon.jpg

Worth the watch just to see Disney before his "Uncle Walt" days.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yesterday I began the afternoon with:
Peterloo (DCP) Mike Leigh's amazing film about the massacre of unarmed men,women and children in Manchester by British troops, orchestrated by the 1%.
Then I went to the inaugural concert by the newly-appointed conductor (Fabio Luisi) of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. Electrifying.
Back home I finished the last 4 episodes of the Netflix series Cathedral by the Sea (HD). the 14th century cathedral in Barcelona is finally completed. I decided to view this series in memory of the gutting of Notre Dame.
Paradis perdu (Lost Paradise) (Pathe Zone free BD) Abel Gance's 1939 film, a favorite of Truffaut's. I'd seen this once in my youth and could still remember the very catchy waltz tune.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Prince Of Foxes yesterday, a film which doesn't seem these days to be liked and admired as much as it deserves. The cast is awesome and they're all pretty good. I like Wanda Hendrix more each time I see her. I note that some cretin on IMDB has sneered at her performance, but I think it's good.

The Zone B locked French Blu-ray disc is a good transfer of unrestored elements. Leon Shamroy's deep focus lensing of the interiors is especially well-served.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Three Coins in the Fountain (TT BD) Beautiful transfer with directional dialogue. I first saw this as a teen on one of its reissues, but it was not 2.55 ratio nor stereo.
The Prisoner (Arrow Academy BD Zone Free) Peter Glenville's film with extraordinary performances from Alec Guiness and Jack Hawkins. Unrestored HD transfer. Really worthwhile film.
Border (Vudu HDX stream) Swedish film from the director of Let the Right One In. Nominated for an Oscar in Makeup. Very interesting and offbeat film about trolls in human society. Troll sex is quite a spectacle and very unusual.
Mary Queen of Scots (Vudu UHD HDR stream) Lavishly mounted spectacle. Costumes nominated for an Oscar. Ronan is quite good. Not as good as the old version we are all pining for in HD.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Dodge City (Warner BD) Simply gorgeous transfer. Last time I saw this was a 35mm nitrate Technicolor WB's archive print at MoMA.
The Snake Pit (TT BD) Continuing my de Havilland evening with one of her best performances. Superb transfer. First time I saw this was as a teen. It was a 35mm revival print, and the "snake pit" sequence watched on a large screen was really impressive.
Stagecoach (TT BD) The 1966 version. Excellent transfer. Good film in its own right, quite exciting. Began my evening with a Western starring Olivia de Havilland; ended with a Western starring Ann-Margret.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Quantum Of Solace, the worst edited film I have ever seen. This was only the second time I've watched the Blu-ray disc. I doubt I'll watch it again.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Last night I watched Quantum Of Solace, the worst edited film I have ever seen. This was only the second time I've watched the Blu-ray disc. I doubt I'll watch it again.
Yeah, it's one of three Bond films I have a tough time getting through. The others are Moonraker and A View to a Kill.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
High Life (DCP) Directed by Claire Denis; starring Robert Pattinson and Juliette Binoche. Beautifully shot and scored. Intriguing, elliptical film with top performances.
Melvin and Howard (TT BD) Looks beautiful. Last viewed this film upon release. It's somewhat endearing.
Legend of the Holy Drinker (Arrow Academy BD) Ermanno Olmi's extraordinary film, never released in the USA. Based on a Joseph Roth novella, starring Rutger Hauer and Anthony Quayle, among others. Masterfully lit with painterly tones by Dante Spinotti. Igor Stravinsky's music is used throughout. A quiet masterpiece.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 23rd, 2019 Tuesday

Alien (1979 Theatrical Edition)
4K UHD Blu-ray
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Audio options also include original 4.1 for theatrical only and 2.1 audio! Video transfer is a upgrade from the standard blu-ray which was a good transfer to begin with. Good color saturation with excellent black levels and detail. I would place this release into the category of reference level titles even though the audio portion doesn't compare with many titles with better audio tracks. The audio is still good and there is the availability of 5.1 surround mix and original 4.1 mix and stereo. I highly recommend the new 4K release of Alien and it is a good reason to get into 4K UHD if you have not yet pulled the trigger or if you have the display but have not yet purchased a 4K Blu-ray player! 20th Century Fox outdid themselves on this very excellent home video release! Looking forward to the release of Aliens on 4K UHD Blu-ray!

System:
Marantz SR-8012 11 Channel Surround Sound Receiver
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV
Altec Lancing A-7 L&R
Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel speaker
Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers
Advent Marbles (Height Speakers)
HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer (15")

1979.jpg

Season Finally of Lethal Weapon S3 Ep 15 The Spy Who Loved Me
5.1 Dolby Digital

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Fosse/Verdon Part 3 (FX HD)
Two Weeks in Another Town (WA BD) Beautiful transfer of Minnelli's Hollywood on the Tiber epic. I first saw this when it premiered (I was 12); saw it again at MoMA, and I think I also saw the WA DVD. I enjoy Minnelli's melodramas, though this one is not one of his best.
Egypt by Three (TCM) A little known portmanteau picture comprising 3 stories taking place (where else?) in Egypt. Little known actors except for Eddie Constantine before he became a French vedette. Directed by Victor Stoloff and released in 1953.
This may be my last post till Monday or Tuesday of next week. I'm traveling to Houston for the premiere of an opera, The Phoenix, and for Don Giovanni at the Houston Grand Opera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks