What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On TCM app. via iTunes "Larceny, Inc.". Video presentation on that stream was excellent.

220px-Larceny_Inc_1942_poster.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched:
Ice Cold in Alex (Studio Canal Region B) What a splendid film! This was the 2018 master.
Dark of the Sun (WA BD)
I have that Ice Cold In Alex Blu-ray disc too. A very good disc of a very good film. For me, The Wages Of Fear is redundant because Ice Cold in Alex takes a similar premise and does it so much better, so much more plausibly, far less obviously contrived.

I watched Boy's Night Out yesterday. It's a pleasant comedy, not laugh-out-loud funny, with a gorgeous Kim Novak and a supporting cast of very familiar and welcome faces. The DVD-R is not very good. I don't expect Warner Archive to put this film out on Blu-ray disc any time soon.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
One Night at Susie's (WA DVD) From First National Pictures (1930), with Billie Dove and the young and callow Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. 61 compact minutes. A few interesting angles and takes. For the curious only, i.e., me.
The mini-series Top of the Lake (BBC BD Region Free) From New Zealand, with a Jane Campion pedigree. All 6 episodes.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Was the commentary any good?
I viewed from the DVD Definitive Collection with Richard Valley doing the commentary. I thought he did a pretty good job. I finally learned that it was Basil singing (no dubbing)
I still need to listen to the commentaries on the Blu Rays but as you can see - I'm way behind.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I fell back on two old favorites tonight: Midnight Lace (UK Blu-ray) and To Kill a Mockingbird (U.S. Blu-ray). I had the DVD of Libeled Lady in my hand, but I remembered what a weak transfer it is and decided I wanted to see something a bit more visually appetizing.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched two films yesterday which is unusual for me. Both were films I had seen when they first came out and I was still a boy. I chose The Young Land because Yvonne Craig has been discussed recently and she's in this, playing a high-born Mexican. The film stars Patrick Wayne, son of John, and although uncredited, his father obviously was pulling some strings behind the scenes. The credits include Winton Hoch, Dimitri Tiomkin and Web Oberlander. The picture quality of the DVD is atrocious, marginally better than the out-of-focus garbage you find on YouTube.

The second film was Sink The Bismark! a good war film with a host of familiar faces. I'm no expert on "Cinemascope mumps" but in some of the close-ups the faces did seem a bit wide and fat to me. I'd be interested in an expert opinion.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
220px-Robin_and_the_7_Hoods_%28Rat_Pack_soundtrack_album%29_cover.jpg

Stellar cast, OK music (except for Chicago) but was worth it just for all the great character actors.
I thought Bing Crosby stole the picture away from the Rat Pack. "Style" is a fabulous song, and when the three stars go into a round robin verse, it just meshes beautifully and thrillingly.

And coincidence of coincidences, that LP stereo soundtrack is on my turntable right this minute!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I don't man, I kind of like "Mr Booze" quite a lot.:laugh:

I thought Bing Crosby stole the picture away from the Rat Pack. "Style" is a fabulous song, and when the three stars go into a round robin verse, it just meshes beautifully and thrillingly.

And coincidence of coincidences, that LP stereo soundtrack is on my turntable right this minute!

OK I feel suitably chastised!:D

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Mothers Cry (WA DVD) A First National weepie pairing Helen Chandler and David Manners as siblings. Prior to Dracula and to their finest hour: The Last Flight.
Alone in Berlin (IFC Region 1 DVD) Based on Hans Fallada's excellent novel (recommended reading). With Emma Thompson and Brendan Gleeson, directed by Vincent Perez (the actor). Worth seeking out.
The Kiss before the Mirror (Universal Vault Series DVD) Poor transfer of one of my favorite James Whale's pictures. Bill Everson's 16mm print was luminous next to this.
Unknown Soldier (SF Studios Region B) A Finnish 5-episode TV series. Another release worth seeking out. Kino is releasing the condensed theatrical version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks