What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I rewatched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows last night on Blu-ray. I hadn't watched it in a few years, and I continue to maintain it wasn't up to the first film and too full of huge ammunition blasts and over-the-top violence to make it a real favorite. But with the talk of a third movie in the series in the offing, I would be down for another installment, hopefully with more surprise and wit and a tad less violence.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2019-3-23_11-53-15.png upload_2019-3-23_11-53-28.png

Last Night, imagine what this guy could do with a pencil

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ef5LNzF.png

Bucks don't play till tomorrow, so had time to spend with a lady today,

upload_2019-3-23_14-56-58.png

Sister Street Fighter Original Japanese and English Dub

Damn , if Arrow didn't knock it out of the park on this one, all i had ever seen before was the really bad BCI DVD's before, and what a revelation,
only through the first film, both cuts, original Japanese audio with subs, and the English Language dub.,Oh my the whole time i was watching the English language dub and looking at the big baddie laughing, i had this felling of nostalgia that i had seen this character before. Then it hit me, harder than Sonny Chiba. The guy looks and talks just like a villain on the old Speed Racer cartoons, What a riot. Shout Factory better match this in quality when "The Street Fighter Collection " comes out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did some Prime surfing today to find two items: one I hadn't seen in awhile and one I had never seen.

Double Jeopardy was a thriller I remembered liking at the theater, but watching it again today, the plotting and character mapping were very happenstance and irritating. This had potential to be REALLY good, but it was a bit of a disappointment on a second watch.

The PURE GOLD was the 1955 live presentation of One Touch of Venus. I NEVER knew Janet Blair had a versatile voice to rival Mary Martin's! She should have had a great Broadway career if she could project at all. And how super to finally get to hear some of the songs that didn't make their way on to Decca's truncated cast recording. Silly, fun musical.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I did some Prime surfing today to find two items: one I hadn't seen in awhile and one I had never seen.

Double Jeopardy was a thriller I remembered liking at the theater, but watching it again today, the plotting and character mapping were very happenstance and irritating. This had potential to be REALLY good, but it was a bit of a disappointment on a second watch.

The PURE GOLD was the 1955 live presentation of One Touch of Venus. I NEVER knew Janet Blair had a versatile voice to rival Mary Martin's! She should have had a great Broadway career if she could project at all. And how super to finally get to hear some of the songs that didn't make their way on to Decca's truncated cast recording. Silly, fun musical.
I'm glad you enjoyed One Touch of Venus. I recommended it to you a while back. It's also so much better than the film (although Ava Gardner is MY Venus).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last night I watched:
Suzuki's Yumeji (Arrow BD) The third installment in The Taisho Trilogy
I Was an American Spy (TCM) An Allied Artists programmer starring Ann Dvorak. I have a soft spot for her. Awesome actor.
French's The Man Who Loved Redheads (Network Region 2 PAL DVD) I have a very soft spot for Moira Shearer and redheads.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm glad you enjoyed One Touch of Venus. I recommended it to you a while back. It's also so much better than the film (although Ava Gardner is MY Venus).
Yes, I remembered your recommendation and had put the show on my Watchlist. Because of your enthusiasm for it, I chose it instead of Barbara Cook in Bloomer Girl. But that's coming.

Today, I'll be watching Noir Alley from last night - The Lady in the Lake, a wonderful and unusually filmed whodunit.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
220px-Voyage_to_the_Bottom_of_the_Sea_1961.jpg

My Sat morning watch. Good if you take it as a B movie and ignore plot holes and shoddy science.:P

This is a fun Saturday morning flick, and the Blu looks very nice...but hoo boy, you ain't kidding about the shoddy science!

On the plus side, the cast is great, and who can complain when Barbara Eden shakes her money maker...

33da8dd01beed09d48bd4dca78344f6c.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yes, I remembered your recommendation and had put the show on my Watchlist. Because of your enthusiasm for it, I chose it instead of Barbara Cook in Bloomer Girl. But that's coming.

Today, I'll be watching Noir Alley from last night - The Lady in the Lake, a wonderful and unusually filmed whodunit.
Bloomer Girl is fabulous! What a great score, and Cook is delectable. Right as the Rain melts you away.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last night I attended a performance of Puccini's La boheme at the Dallas Opera. Then I watched 3 newly arrived Twilight Time BDs:
The River's Edge
The Quiller Memorandum
The Big Fix
All films I don't remember ever watching. Enjoyed them all. I saved The Whole Town's Talking for a later date since I've seen that one quite often.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm a big Angela Lansbury fan, but I ran across something tonight I had read about but never seen before: the made-for-TV version of A Talent for Murder starring Angela and Laurence Olivier. It's not a great play and even with a twist or two woven into its tapestry, it's only a mediocre little lark. But it does allow Angela to display her felicity with accents, and she and Lord Olivier play very nicely together. Most of the supporting actors I was completely unfamiliar with, but I'll do a little research on them later this evening.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tonight's viewing:

Favourite_poster_jan19_788_292.jpg

What a weird, horrible film.

Two hours of my life I'll never get back.

And, Olivia Colman wins Best Actress for that?

Even the credits were hard to read.

I didn't like the wide-angle lenses, all the vomiting, the story itself. Something I never think about--or comment on--is set design. But the interiors of the castle were awful. I was constantly confused as to which room was which.

The music was atrocious. I looked at the closing credits (in freeze-frame so I could read them) and saw names like Beethoven, Bach, Schumann, Handel, etc...also Elton John. But so many of the pieces didn't seem to fit the odd tone of the film. Such a strange tone. When I saw Rachel Weisz' face covered at the end (due to her scar) she suddenly seemed like a character in a Quentin Tarantino film.

I dunno. But there's a blind buy which got the better of me.

Peg gave up on it completely about a half-hour in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tonight's viewing:

Favourite_poster_jan19_788_292.jpg

What a weird, horrible film.

Two hours of my life I'll never get back.

And, Olivia Colman wins Best Actress for that?

Even the credits were hard to read.

I didn't like the wide-angle lenses, all the vomiting, the story itself. Something I never think about--or comment on--is set design. But the interiors of the castle were awful. I was constantly confused as to which room was which.

The music was atrocious. I looked at the closing credits (in freeze-frame so I could read them) and saw names like Beethoven, Bach, Schumann, Handel, etc...also Elton John. But so many of the pieces didn't seem to fit the odd tone of the film. Such a strange tone. When I saw Rachel Weisz' face covered at the end (due to her scar) she suddenly seemed like a character in a Quentin Tarantino film.

I dunno. But there's a blind buy which got the better of me.

Peg gave up on it completely about a half-hour in.
:laugh: I'm not surprise as I've heard similar comments about this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks