What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I stumbled on another classic on Amazon Prime tonight: Joan Crawford in Harriet Craig. I hadn't seen this in many years, and it was an eye-opener seeing it again. She's playing a character who is almost as conniving and awful as the title character in Queen Bee, also made for Columbia five years later. She certainly excelled playing these cold, calculating women at this stage of her career.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Another viewing of a thriller.....The Perfect Storm.
We love movies that makes you feel tired when it's over!
35mm, Scope, SDDS with DTS as backup.

220px-Perfect_storm_poster.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't turned my cable box on in two days, so I need to start watching some of the shows that are lying there on the DVR. I've also been rewatching Feud: Bette and Joan, and I have the final episode of that to watch today.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Polanski's Carnage (Sony BD)
Lee Tamahori's The Devil's Double (Lionsgate BD) Dominic Cooper in a truly amazing turn.
FW Murnau's Faust (MoC BD Region B) This film just keeps getting better, and this transfer is the way to go.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Watched 4 Region B locked BDs last night. In order:
von Sternberg's The Last Command (MoC) with a commanding Jannings performance
Antonioni's La signora senza camelie (The Lady without Camellias) (MoC)
Bogdanovich's Paper Moon (MoC)
Furie's The Ipcress File (Network) Great direction, acting and superb sets and cinematography.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I rewatched Bringing Up Baby on the TCM app tonight, and while it looked wonderful, there is still that jarring jump cut where one of Hepburn's jokes gets sawed in half as she sits in the window at the jailhouse. My DVD has this same cut though a commercial videotape I had of the movie many years ago didn't have that edit.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Wall Of Noise, not a well-known film. The movie doesn't really work because the drama is not intense enough and the man/woman relationships are not sexy enough. It's mainly due to the screenplay but I think Richard Wilson, whose work I normally admire, was not the right director for this subject. Someone with a large measure of prurience like Terence Young or Allan Dwan would have been more suitable.

The two main actresses, Suzanne Pleshette and Dorothy Provine were excellent.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I hope to get to The Wild Bunch today noit only to watch the movie again but also to listen to the commentary. I also have The Blacklist from last night's TV to watch.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope to get to The Wild Bunch today noit only to watch the movie again but also to listen to the commentary. I also have The Blacklist from last night's TV to watch.
You still watch that show. I gave up last year. It just wasn't the same to me when they cutout Mister Kaplan.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Suzuki's Kagero-Za, the second installment in The Taisho Trilogy (Arrow BD)
Fellini's Il bidone (The Swindle), with Broderick Crawford among others (MoC BD Region B)
Cy Endfield's Hell Drivers (Network BD) with Stanley Baker. 4K in VistaVision. Excellent film and encoding.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Suzuki's Kagero-Za, the second installment in The Taisho Trilogy (Arrow BD)
Fellini's Il bidone (The Swindle), with Broderick Crawford among others (MoC BD Region B)
Cy Endfield's Hell Drivers (Network BD) with Stanley Baker. 4K in VistaVision. Excellent film and encoding.
I had the good fortune to have tea with Cy many years ago. Instead of talking film, we did card tricks for each other. He was not only one heck of a director he was also a consummate card magician.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You still watch that show. I gave up last year. It just wasn't the same to me when they cutout Mister Kaplan.
For me, it continues to surprise and exhilarate. Yes, losing Mr. Kaplan was not helpful to the show, but there is so much else about the show to enjoy (and now that romantic subplots are taken care of for the moment, there is no distraction from those either).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"You're a one-eyed jack around here Dad, I seen the other side of your face"

I looked at One-Eyed Jacks this evening. I think it's a great western, quite talky, but with dialogue this good I don't mind. Everyone is so good in it, & beautifully shot, & everything seems to be filmed at the time of day it was set, I suppose you can do that with a very long shoot. It's really great to have this on Blu-ray looking so good.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
"You're a one-eyed jack around here Dad, I seen the other side of your face"

I looked at One-Eyed Jacks this evening. I think it's a great western, quite talky, but with dialogue this good I don't mind. Everyone is so good in it, & beautifully shot, & everything seems to be filmed at the time of day it was set, I suppose you can do that with a very long shoot. It's really great to have this on Blu-ray looking so good.
Yeah, it's about time I watched that Blu-ray disc again.

I watched the new Warner Archive Blu-ray disc of Wild Rovers yesterday. It was the first time I've seen this film since it first came out and I enjoyed it a lot more than I did then.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A quartet of Network Region B BDs:
EA Dupont's Moulin Rouge (1928-29) Fascinating late silent film in service of a commonplace story
Michael Powell, et al., The Thief of Bagdad (1940) Quite good transfer
Skolimowski's The Shout (1978) Intriguing film with a great cast: Alan Bates, Susannah York, John Hurt
Dearden's All Night Long (1962) Retelling of Othello with a great jazz jam session in the background. Top-notch production.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
A quartet of Network Region B BDs:
EA Dupont's Moulin Rouge (1928-29) Fascinating late silent film in service of a commonplace story
Michael Powell, et al., The Thief of Bagdad (1940) Quite good transfer
Skolimowski's The Shout (1978) Intriguing film with a great cast: Alan Bates, Susannah York, John Hurt
Dearden's All Night Long (1962) Retelling of Othello with a great jazz jam session in the background. Top-notch production.

Love Network, all the great TV series and films they put out. Their dedication to getting the ITC catalog out on Blu makes them tops in my book. Good film releases, too.

Glad to hear about their Thief of Bagdad Blu looking nice...will have to pick that up at some point. I have Hell Drivers, Perfect Friday and several other films from them waiting in the queue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks