What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Last night at 10:00 p.m. at my local theater on their largest screen with Dolby Atmos. I'm seeing it again today at a Dolby Cinema theater. I liked this movie quite a lot which surprised me as I wasn't thrill with the Brie Larsen casting, but she was really good in that role. She and Samuel L. have good film chemistry as I enjoyed their back and forth dialogue.

Hey Robert I will look into renting this movie later as I was honestly not impressed with the trailer and thought, oh here is another PC female movie like Ocean 13 and Ghostbusters. But I will give this movie a look and rent it after I get my Apple TV and the network switch I need for my a/v rack. Thank you for the positive feedback on this movie.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I finished watching the Rathbone Holmes series (MPI BDs):
Terror by Night
Dressed to Kill
Then we watched Part One of Leaving Neverland (HBO on Demand)
And to wash the bad taste out of my mouth: Goodbye, Christopher Robin (Netflix)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Part Two of Leaving Neverland. (HBO)
The Late Matthias Pascal (Flicker Alley BD), a 3-hour silent directed by the great Marcel L'Herbier
Bedazzled (TT BD), the charming and hysterically funny Stanley Donen version

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight screening Vertical Limit, 35mm SDDS with a DTS backup.

vertical limit.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Having recently watched The Narrow Margin (the Gene Hackman film) I just had to watch From Russia With Love for the zillionth time last night. It is evident that the screenplay for The Narrow Margin was influenced greatly by the Bond movie. Which is somehow appropriate because Ian Fleming was obviously influenced by Narrow Margin (the original film) when he wrote his novel.

I understand some people have issues with the Blu-ray disc of From Russia With Love. I don't. I think it's a superb disc; and I saw the film several times when it first came out

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've just re-watched the Ryan O'Neill/Van Heflin version of The Big Bounce. For once I agree with many of the "reviews" in IMDB: The music is unbelievably bad and the best performance was from the child actress. I was impressed by Leigh Taylor-Young who, I thought, captured the mentality and spirit of a psychopath who is energised by excitement and danger. To some extent her relationship with the leading male character is a re-run of the relationship in Pretty Poison.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Puccini's Manon Lescaut at the Dallas Opera; then I binged on Season 1 of Babylon Berlin (Netflix), an exceptional German TV series. Will continue Season 2 today.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
First time viewing for Peg and me:

poster_themagnificentambersons.jpg

It's amazing that the movie held us both strongly for the first two-thirds of the film...but that things really fell apart in the final-third. I pretty much expected that knowing what I know about the title. And now I know why people are so upset not to to be able to see what Welle's originally produced.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was poking around Amazon Prime at lunchtime and stumbled on some new additions to the site that thrilled a musical nut like me.

First was the kinescope of the 1958 Kiss Me, Kate with Alfred Drake and Patricia Morison reprising their Broadway roles. I have known about this Hallmark Hall of Fame version for ages but I had never seen it before today. On my many visits to the Museum of TV and Radio in NYC, I never seemed to get around to this always opting for other hard-to-find gems from yesteryear.

Anyway, it was a more complete version of the show than I was expecting. Only "Too Darn Hot," "Were Thine That Special Face," and "Bianca" were completely eliminated, and only a few verses of "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" made it in. It was such a thrill to see those two Broadway legends doing those parts having listened to them for most of my life on the cast recording, but never seeing this until today.

I also stumbled on the Li'l Abner film that has been recently added to Prime. It looked very colorful but sharpness was just above average, so I'm assuming this was not a high definition transfer since a high def Vistavision transfer should have made it really pop. Anyway, it's still just as entertaining as ever with Peter Palmer and Leslie Parrish the living images of the comic strip characters. One thing I've always lamented is that the lush, full-sounding orchestra on the soundtrack LP is not what we hear in the movie, a more muted and dull accompaniment. Would that all those musical sequences could be replaced with that stupendous album rendition of the songs.

I also noticed that Flower Drum Song and the kinescope of Barbara Cook in Bloomer Girl have been added to Prime, too, but, of course, I didn't have time to squeeze them in this afternoon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was poking around Amazon Prime at lunchtime and stumbled on some new additions to the site that thrilled a musical nut like me.

First was the kinescope of the 1958 Kiss Me, Kate with Alfred Drake and Patricia Morison reprising their Broadway roles. I have known about this Hallmark Hall of Fame version for ages but I had never seen it before today. On my many visits to the Museum of TV and Radio in NYC, I never seemed to get around to this always opting for other hard-to-find gems from yesteryear.

Anyway, it was a more complete version of the show than I was expecting. Only "Too Darn Hot," "Were Thine That Special Face," and "Bianca" were completely eliminated, and only a few verses of "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" made it in. It was such a thrill to see those two Broadway legends doing those parts having listened to them for most of my life on the cast recording, but never seeing this until today.

I also stumbled on the Li'l Abner film that has been recently added to Prime. It looked very colorful but sharpness was just above average, so I'm assuming this was not a high definition transfer since a high def Vistavision transfer should have made it really pop. Anyway, it's still just as entertaining as ever with Peter Palmer and Leslie Parrish the living images of the comic strip characters. One thing I've always lamented is that the lush, full-sounding orchestra on the soundtrack LP is not what we hear in the movie, a more muted and dull accompaniment. Would that all those musical sequences could be replaced with that stupendous album rendition of the songs.

I also noticed that Flower Drum Song and the kinescope of Barbara Cook in Bloomer Girl have been added to Prime, too, but, of course, I didn't have time to squeeze them in this afternoon.
My main problem with Amazon Prime is that they too many of their presentations in SD.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

Barbara Cook is absolutely wonderful in Bloomer Girl. That Kiss Me, Kate is a treasure! The VAI releases may be kinescopes, but they do preserve great performances. Have you seen One Touch of Venus?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just saw Greta. Block your number.
That man/woman from The Crying Game still looks good after all these years. Wait, is that a spoiler?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks