What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
a-man-called-peter-movie-poster.jpg

Peg and I watched this the other night. We had mixed reviews.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Wednesday, February 13th, 2019

Predator (1987)
4K UHD Blu-ray
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

The last time I watched this movie was a 35mm presentation just this past October.

MV5BY2QwYmFmZTEtNzY2Mi00ZWMyLWEwY2YtMGIyNGZjMWExOWEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Julio Medem's The Red Squirrel (Olive BD)
Victoria in Dover aka The Early Years of a Queen (Film Movement BD) with the radiant and young, young, young Romy Schneider
Capernaum (DCP) nominated for Best Foreign Film AA, well deserved

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Streamed one of my all-time favorite fantasies from the TCM app tonight: The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao. Sadly, the TCM transfer is still disappointingly SD rather than HD, but the color seemed a bit stronger than that on the DVD. Lots of interlacing artifacts, though, that were sometimes quite distracting.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched the Blu-ray disc of Jumbo for only the second time! I was suddenly in the mood for it. It's a nice film and the disc is superb. Doris' renditions of My Romance and Little Girl Blue are even better than Ella Fitzgerald's: no small achievement.

The Grissom Gang has just arrived so I'll watch than tonight. "A Brand New HD Master from a 4K scan of the Original Camera Negative!" Should be good!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Streamed one of my all-time favorite fantasies from the TCM app tonight: The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao. Sadly, the TCM transfer is still disappointingly SD rather than HD, but the color seemed a bit stronger than that on the DVD. Lots of interlacing artifacts, though, that were sometimes quite distracting.
7 Faces of Dr. Lao is one of a handful of guilty pleasures for me. Movies that don't get a lot of respect but I like probably more than I should. I saw it at the theater and then took many friends to see it. Since then I have watched it well over a dozen times and in fact watched it within the last month. If a Blu Ray comes up - I'm in but I'm afraid we may be in the minority.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Randall said in an interview that he loved doing all of the quirky characters but he didn't feel the movie was a very good film. I've never read the book, so maybe there is something it in that didn't get transferred to the screen.

I was enchanted with the film from the first time I saw it and have never wavered in my support for it. Love the Leigh Harline score, too.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Randall said in an interview that he loved doing all of the quirky characters but he didn't feel the movie was a very good film. I've never read the book, so maybe there is something it in that didn't get transferred to the screen.

I was enchanted with the film from the first time I saw it and have never wavered in my support for it. Love the Leigh Harline score, too.
I see many of the warts - low budget - poor special effects (stop motion for vanishes and appearances that are obvious) - sometimes wooden dialog - etc. but the story is so charming and many of the actors give great performances - Tony Randall is outstanding - It just makes me happy.

Lots of neat stories on this one. Randall had already shaved his head before they decided to have him do a cameo so he had to wear a wig to play himself.

The book is very close but much more cynical - very little hope unlike the movie.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Cesar (Criterion BD), the last installment in Pagnol's Marseilles Trilogy. Taken as a whole, this is a monumental cinematic achievement.
Howards End miniseries scripted by Kenneth Lonergan (4 chapters in toto, Starz stream)
Period. End of Sentence. (Netflix) AA nominated for short-subject documentary

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
samwhiskey1-kopie.jpg

First time watching this lighthearted western caper, and the Kino Blu looked real nice. Very enjoyable movie, and Burt Reynolds, Ossie Davis and Clint Walker really make for a fun team who pull off a "reverse heist" ala Mission: Impossible. It doesn't hurt that Angie Dickinson is (no surprise) super sexy here, as the instigator of the plan.

Burt+Reynolds+%252B+Angie+Dickinson+-+Sam+Whiskey+%25282%2529.png

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

I love this movie, too, and think it is a fine, unusual fantasy western. Randall has a field day, and is very good. I also think John Ericson, Arthur O'Connell and Barbara Eden do good work here. Ms. Eden gets a nice sexy scene where her buttoned-up librarian character gets all hot and bothered when she encounters Pan.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A few nights ago I watched a Roy Rogers movie over TCM: Under Western Skies, inducted into the National Film Registry. Not a good print. A song was nominated for an AA.
Last night was a Republic flic, The Man Who Died Twice (Kino BD)
Today, so far, Never Look Away (DCP) nominated for 2 major AAs. The long running time seemed short to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks