What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All three of the Oliver-Gleason Hildegarde Withers mysteries feature that kind of delightful banter. It looks like TCM is showing the Miss Withers series (sadly, not all have Edna Mae Oliver, a true cinema treasure) on successive Saturdays.
Yeah, I pulled out my 2013 DVD Collection along with the Philo Vance and Fast Company/Fast and Loose/Fast and Furious DVD sets. I plan on watching a number of those film for the remainder of the week.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another TCM app movie tonight: The Last of Mrs. Chyney. I can't believe there is a Joan Crawford movie I hadn't seen, but this was one I don't remember ever having seen. Quite a cast along with Joan: William Powell, Robert Montgomery, Nigel Bruce. Frank Morgan. And there is fun to be had though, of course, Joan turns good girl by the end and doesn't go to prison. Jessie Ralph and Sara Haden are also in it to good effect.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
December 5th, 2018 Wednesday

The Avengers
4K Blu-ray
7.1 Dolby Atmos to Auro 2D

The Avengers 1.jpg

Swordfish
HD-DVD upconverted to 4K
5.1 Dolby Digital Plus to Auro 2D

Attempted to watch but was not able to do so as I kept getting static noises coming from my surround channels! Did some troubleshooting and swapped out the player with my 1st generation player, changed out HDMI cables and even hooked up the player to the same HDMI I was using for the blu-ray player. And still had audio issues! I was not able to get the HDMI on the 1st generation HD-DVD player to work so I went back to the 2nd generation player and still having audio issues. Played a movie about a month ago in which I could swear I had it hooked up to the new Marantz. The TV has volume issues where I can not raise or lower the sound and sometimes the tv switches from HDMI 3 to HDMI 4 even though nothing is hooked up to HDMI 4. When I had my Pioneer SC-05 hooked up the sound never cut out from the tv. But with the Marantz if I power up the receiver the sound automatically stops on the tv once the Marantz is powered. So I will watch that movie once I am able to do so at a later date!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to post the following here too.

Those of us that have the TCM app on ITunes, I highly recommend "Crime Wave" for a viewing. Once I discovered it earlier this year, it became one of my favorite "Film Noir's. Eddie Muller loves this film and has done an audio commentary that's on the Warner DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another TCM app movie tonight: The Last of Mrs. Chyney. I can't believe there is a Joan Crawford movie I hadn't seen, but this was one I don't remember ever having seen. Quite a cast along with Joan: William Powell, Robert Montgomery, Nigel Bruce. Frank Morgan. And there is fun to be had though, of course, Joan turns good girl by the end and doesn't go to prison. Jessie Ralph and Sara Haden are also in it to good effect.
That's part of the film that always bothered me that she gets off and Powell's character doesn't get that break. I hate the production code!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had planned to watch The Trip to Bountiful this afternoon, but when I came in, my DVR was recording Laurel and Hardy's Way Out West which I hadn't seen in about twenty years, so I watched that instead. So funny and I just love the off-the-cuff musical numbers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My replacement 4K TV has HDR (old one didn't) so I may be scouring Netflix these next few days to see what all the hubbub is about.

I wouldn't necessarily judge HDR using content from netflix. I would go out and get a 4K blu-ray player and some 4K movies after you calibrate the display.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My wife and I just binged 7 episodes of Season 2 of the hilarious Canadian comedy called “Letterkenny”. I don’t think it is available in the US yet. When it is, I suspect it will need subtitles.
(They speak at lightening speed and have a lot of their own vocabulary.)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Ruthless yesterday. It's not a well known film but I find it interesting and it has some favorite people in the cast: Zachary Scott, Sydney Greenstreet, Lucille Ball, Martha Vickers . . . and a young Raymond Burr playing a feckless gad-about.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched Ruthless yesterday. It's not a well known film but I find it interesting and it has some favorite people in the cast: Zachary Scott, Sydney Greenstreet, Lucille Ball, Martha Vickers . . . and a young Raymond Burr playing a feckless gad-about.
I've been meaning to watch my Olive Blu-ray of it, but haven't done so yet.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've been meaning to watch my Olive Blu-ray of it, but haven't done so yet.
There are a lot speckles during the titles, but after that the picture quality is pretty good. The only thing about Ruthless I don't like is the inappropriate score which for me weakens the film instead of supporting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks