What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not only did I watch Doctor X this afternoon (nice mystery thriller a la The Cat and the Canary) and enjoy the two-color Technicolor (which, once you get involved in the storytelling, you forget is not three-color Technicolor), I also had time to squeeze in 20,000 Years at Sing Sing which I had also recorded off TCM yesterday.

I had never seen either of these 1930s classics before, and I had a wonderful time with both of them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not only did I watch Doctor X this afternoon (nice mystery thriller a la The Cat and the Canary) and enjoy the two-color Technicolor (which, once you get involved in the storytelling, you forget is not three-color Technicolor), I also had time to squeeze in 20,000 Years at Sing Sing which I had also recorded off TCM yesterday.

I had never seen either of these 1930s classics before, and I had a wonderful time with both of them.
I have both of them on DVD that I might watch again in the near future. "20,000 Years at Sing Sing" has a young Bette Davis with Tracy and I think that's their only film together. Have you seen "The Return of Doctor X" with a creepy Bogart in the title role? I'm glad you mentioned "The Cat and the Canary" as it reminded me that I wanted to buy the 1927 version on DVD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No, I haven't seen The Return of Doctor X all the way through, just excerpts from it during Bogart retrospectives. I must try to catch it the next time it's on TCM.

Bette Davis used to complain that with Warner keeping her pretty much under wraps at Warners, she never had the chance to star opposite Hollywood's greatest leading men. I think she really meant she missed out on Gable and Grant and Cooper, but during her career, she did get Tracy and Cagney, Bogart and Boyer, Robert Montgomery, Franchot Tone, Paul Muni, Edward G. Robinson, Leslie Howard, William Powell, Henry Fonda, Joseph Cotten, and Errol Flynn. She did better than all right.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 5th, 2018 Thursday

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
4K UHD Blu-ray
7.1 Dolby True HD (Atmos 7.1.4)

pirates_of_the_caribbean__dead_men_tell_no_tales_by_mintmovi3-db23bvy.jpg

pirates_of_the_caribbean_dead_men_tell_no_tales_3.jpg

Newest addition to the 4K library was Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Can not wait till my 4K titles pass up the number of titles on HD-DVD!

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks to the magic of Netflix I'm catching up on many of the older TV sitcoms I missed back in the day. Right now I'm binging That 70's Show which is much better that I expected.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 7th, 2018 Saturday

Star Trek: Undiscovered Country
5.1 Dolby Digital EX
Starz Edge HD / HD-DVR

1_385659c6-aa8e-4f1f-838e-41019ef7e25a_spo_2000x.jpg

Cradle 2 The Grave
5.1 Dolby Digital EX
Cinemax HD-DVR

cradle-2-the-grave-54ed9c53daaa1.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched An Inspector Calls which I hadn't seen for more than twenty years at least. It's still a well-constructed and very enjoyable film. It benefits hugely from having Alistair Sim as the central character. A less charismatic actor would have weakened the film greatly. The U. K. Blu-ray disc is excellent.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Today I watched An Inspector Calls which I hadn't seen for more than twenty years at least. It's still a well-constructed and very enjoyable film. It benefits hugely from having Alistair Sim as the central character. A less charismatic actor would have weakened the film greatly. The U. K. Blu-ray disc is excellent.
I have never seen this film, and I admire the play so much that I must have this. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just watched most the movie portion of my Blu ray of “The King of Jazz”. I will be tossing my DVD of the faded 1933 version that I think I copied from TCM! The difference really is astounding.
I can’t wait to tackle the extras and commentary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning on Blu-ray and watching Noir Alley's Eddie Muller before and after comments on "Suddenly" (1954) starring Sterling Hayden and Frank Sinatra.

SuddenlyBR.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This past Friday, "A Quiet Place" at the cinema. I will be revisiting this 90 minute film again this week. A really good suspenseful film.

A-Quiet-Place-Teaser.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This morning on Blu-ray and watching Noir Alley's Eddie Muller before and after comments on "Suddenly" (1954) starring Sterling Hayden and Frank Sinatra.

SuddenlyBR.jpg
I watched it, too, but I was bothered a bit by the excessive head room. I zoomed the picture, and it framed beautifully. Wouldn't this 1954 film have been shot with widescreen in mind? It's a gripping movie; almost as good as The Desperate Hours. I was expecting Eddie to talk a bit about man-of-all-voices Paul Frees who had a substantial supporting role in this and mammoth death scene, but he didn't mention him. His comments were, as always, very enjoyable.

After watching it, I watched The Rains Came, also recorded off TCM last night and a very good presentation of it, too. We got The Rains of Ranchipur from TT several years ago in a beautiful disc. This would make a wonderful companion disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched it, too, but I was bothered a bit by the excessive head room. I zoomed the picture, and it framed beautifully. Wouldn't this 1954 film have been shot with widescreen in mind? It's a gripping movie; almost as good as The Desperate Hours. I was expecting Eddie to talk a bit about man-of-all-voices Paul Frees who had a substantial supporting role in this and mammoth death scene, but he didn't mention him. His comments were, as always, very enjoyable.

After watching it, I watched The Rains Came, also recorded off TCM last night and a very good presentation of it, too. We got The Rains of Ranchipur from TT several years ago in a beautiful disc. This would make a wonderful companion disc.
It should be widescreen! I have two Blu-ray releases of "Suddenly", this morning for some strange reason I decided to watch the Film Detective release which is widescreen. The Image BD Release that I posted the Cover image of is in 1.37 aspect ratio. IMO, it looks a little better quality-wise than the Film Detective release. TBH, I didn't pay attention to the aspect ratio during this viewing as I was fully concentrated on the performances, particularly, Frank Sinatra's. One day I'll do a more in-depth comparison between the two of them and will zoom in the Image release with 1.37 AR. The Image release has two commentaries on it with Frank Jr. and the other one with Drew Casper. There are also some other bonus material too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks