What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Intend to watch Lone Survivor on Blu-ray, Tuesday morning.

And on Wednesday's Movie Night, with my friend, we plan on watching 2015's Everest on Blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Hands Across The Table which stars two of my favorite actors from the 1930s: Carole Lombard and Fred MacMurray. They didn't make many films together but I find them to be one of the best movie teams ever. (I wish Swing High, Swing Low was available on a good disc)

I chose this film because I wanted to see how noticeable Fred MacMurray's height is. Well, now that I'm looking for it, in some shots I can see that he's tall.

Tonight I'll be watching The Vikings.

Last edited:

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Last night I watched Hands Across The Table which stars two of my favorite actors from the 1930s: Carole Lombard and Fred MacMurray. They didn't make many films together but I find them to be one of the best movie teams ever. (I wish Swing High, Swing Low was available on a good disc)

I chose this film because I wanted to see how noticeable Fred MacMurray's height is. Well, now that I'm looking for it, in some shots I can see that he's tall.

Tonight I'll be watching The Vikings.

Robin, I got a kick out of you mentioning "The Vikings", which I assume is the 1958 film that includes Janet Leigh, and stars Kirk Douglas, as well as Ms Leigh's then husband, Tony Curtis. When I originally saw "The Vikings" at the movies, I was just in elementary school. But to this day, I can still remember how a classmate who also saw the film, was vividly describing to the other kids, "how cool it was" in the movie to see one of the Vikings throw hatchets into the wooden door of a castle that he was trying to storm, so that he could leap across a big gap, and grab onto the hatchets, enabling him to cling to the side of the castle. Here, at age 66, I still have a very clear memory of how that kid was so enthusiastic in talking about "The Vikings" as if it were the coolest thing on earth. Almost 10 years ago, I finally watched "The Vikings" again, on DVD, and though the initial impression of it gained as a 7 year old had, no doubt, built it up some in my memory, I certainly still enjoyed it. And that brief sort of tune that a Viking would play on that horn to greet a returning ship was just as I remembered it.

BTW, Robin, of course I remember that the late, great, Ernest Borgnine also played one of the Vikings, but was it he that sounded that horn, as I seem to recall?

Also, at that young age, before puberty, when I went to see "The Vikings" , Janet Leigh, with her obvious physical beauty, was of only a passing interest to me. But years later, when I went to see "Psycho" as a young teen, during a re-release of that film, Ms Leigh's charms certainly created a much more different sort of interest for me, than they had when I was in grade school.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Been awhile since I've posted. Haven't watched many movies in the past few months.

So I sat down with a film I haven't watched since it's 1975 theatrical run.

The Hindenburg.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robin, I got a kick out of you mentioning "The Vikings", which I assume is the 1958 film that includes Janet Leigh, and stars Kirk Douglas, as well as Ms Leigh's then husband, Tony Curtis. When I originally saw "The Vikings" at the movies, I was just in elementary school. But to this day, I can still remember how a classmate who also saw the film, was vividly describing to the other kids, "how cool it was" in the movie to see one of the Vikings throw hatchets into the wooden door of a castle that he was trying to storm, so that he could leap across a big gap, and grab onto the hatchets, enabling him to cling to the side of the castle. Here, at age 66, I still have a very clear memory of how that kid was so enthusiastic in talking about "The Vikings" as if it were the coolest thing on earth. Almost 10 years ago, I finally watched "The Vikings" again, on DVD, and though the initial impression of it gained as a 7 year old had, no doubt, built it up some in my memory, I certainly still enjoyed it. And that brief sort of tune that a Viking would play on that horn to greet a returning ship was just as I remembered it.

BTW, Robin, of course I remember that the late, great, Ernest Borgnine also played one of the Vikings, but was it he that sounded that horn, as I seem to recall?

Also, at that young age, before puberty, when I went to see "The Vikings" , Janet Leigh, with her obvious physical beauty, was of only a passing interest to me. But years later, when I went to see "Psycho" as a young teen, during a re-release of that film, Ms Leigh's charms certainly created a much more different sort of interest for me, than they had when I was in grade school.

Two points:

No, Ernest Borgnine does not play that horn. He plays the rapist Viking king, father of the characters played by Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis. The horn player is one of the village locals.

Second, Janet Leigh's eroticism is especially interesting because it was so variable. In some films, notably Touch Of Evil, Psycho and The Manchurian Candidate, she is one of the most desirable women ever in films. In many other films, she is pleasant but not sexy. For me, in The Vikings, Janet Leigh is halfway between the two extremes.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Double Indemnity for about the thirtieth time! In truth, I've lost count. This film never fails to hold my attention throughout.

Afterwards I tried the commentary with Nick Redman and Len Dobbs. Mr. Dobbs irritated me with some very simplistic over-generalisations, and I was particularly annoyed by his assertion that the only good films Fred MacMurray ever made were Double Indemnity, The Caine Mutiny and The Apartment. At that point I stopped listening. So, True Confession, Remember The Night, Murder, He Said, Pushover, There's Always Tomorrow and Face Of A Fugitive are not good films? Well, Mr. Dobbs: don't call me; I'll call you.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I always thought he did a good job in "The Absentminded Professor". The second was okay, but nowhere near the first one.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
October 20th, 2017 Friday

Saw
480p DVD
6.1 DTS

20171020_154306a.jpg

Saw II
480p DVD
5.1 Dolby Digital EX

20171020_154401a.jpg

Thought about upgrading the DVD's to 1080p blu-ray and while I would be happy enough with the DTS on the first movie. Dolby Digital on the second movie is a no purchase. I eventually want to upgrade the two DVD's and also add the additional movies I do not yet have. But there needs to be a lossless audio track before I buy it with so many other titles to buy that actually have lossless tracks. Maybe by the time I get around to it and they have a lossless release it might be on 4K UHD BD. Am done with buying movies over and over because of audio tracks so next purchse of any of these in the franchise needs to have lossless, I am fine with DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD as I like ether one.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched another Fred MacMurray film, There's Always Tomorrow, where again he co-stars with Barbara Stanwyck. I like this film a lot and for me, although not for film scholars, it's a key Douglas Sirk film. I have the U. K DVD which is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks