What's new

Todd Gilchrist

Premium
Reviewer
The abundance of new material on streaming services – from television series to films – provides a bonanza for viewers eager to consume as much as possible and keep up with whatever is trending. But that sometimes means that older series and films sometimes disappear, or become difficult to watch. Moreover, new options often overshadow old ones that might provide familiar, even essential comfort, or in other cases, overshadow those must-see films gathering dust in our mental rolodex, soon to be forgotten despite their venerated merits as entertainment or art.
While downgrading its DVD service to focus on streaming choices and juggling its expansive slate of original programming, Netflix has not always preserved the same library for “the classics” – films celebrated for decades or which have otherwise earned a place in the cinematic firmament. So while you’re sorting through seasons of Queer Eye (hint: skip the ones in Japan) or side-eyeing that “bonus episode” of Too Hot To Handle...

Continue reading...

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Not sure why they don't have Criterion and Major classics for film buffs.........

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not sure why they don't have Criterion and Major classics for film buffs.........

Well, Turner Classic Movies kind of fills that niche. I think the question is whether or not Netflix would attempt to aggressively pursue licensing for that type of content.

- Walter.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Netflix only seems interested in the under-40 crowd.

I have noticed that also. I recently watched "After The Fox" on Amazon Prime which is something you would not expect to find on a streaming service. Netflix is focusing more on original material. I especially liked the new "Young Wallander" series based on a well known Swedish police drama. However you can tell it is aimed at the youth market.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I send out a list to friends and family every few weeks, not all classics but films I've enjoyed, all free at Amazon Prime at the time of sending. Excuse my comments if they offend. Some Netflix movies are tacked on at the end:

Mademoiselle: what is it with these Chatterleyesque wood cutters?

The Go-Between: everything directed by Joseph Losey (a HUAC victim) is worth watching.

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle: every rich mom's nightmare, the scheming maniac nanny.

Keeping Faith & Blood: two recent UK TV series that we've enjoyed/survived.

Jacknife: time for a 'breakfast beer'. One of my favorite TV movies, sad but rewarding.

Days Of Heaven: Terence Malick's first masterpiece. Most scenes were shot at dawn or dusk to get the dreamy atmosphere.

The Hunting Parting: starring Oliver Reed, the bad boy of British cinema, in this violent (for its time) western.

The Organization: the return of Virgil Tibbs, accompanied by a jazzy score by the great Gil Melle.

The Lillies Of The Field: name me a bad Sidney Poitier movie? Enjoy with the kids.

Scorpio: a little know but excellent old fashioned spy movie.

The Birdman Of Alcatraz: more Burt.

Don't Look Now: the best 'giallo' is not Italian, it comes from the British director Nicolas Roeg.

Annie Hall: a laugh a minute, quintessential Woody Allen, IMHO only bested by Love & Death.

Hannah And Her Sisters: the sexual references (listen for them) are disturbing in this otherwise great movie.

The Statement: Michael Caine.

The Whistle Blower: Michael Caine, directed by Simon Langton (Amazon used the wrong graphic for this movie (Rachel Weisz Whistleblower), so search by the director).

Across 110th Street: Anthony Quinn (not your average 70s blaxploitation movie, far superior).

Cutter's Way: Jeff Bridges.

Hidden Agenda: Frances McDormand.

No Escape: Pierce Brosnan.

The Commuter: Liam Neeson.

Unknown: Liam Neeson.

From Netflix:

Den Of Thieves: Gerard Butler.

Good People: Tom Wilkinson.

Everybody Knows: Penelope Cruz.

Triple Frontier: Ben Affleck.

The Foreigner: Jackie Chan, Pierce Brosnan.

The Peacemaker: George Clooney.

The Baztan Triology: The Invisible Guardian, The Legacy Of The Bones, Offering To The Storm; from the novels by Delores Redondo. Spanish cinema continues to impress with a very strong female lead in these movies. Not for the kids though.

These should keep you busy for a while.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have noticed that also. I recently watched "After The Fox" on Amazon Prime which is something you would not expect to find on a streaming service. Netflix is focusing more on original material. I especially liked the new "Young Wallander" series based on a well known Swedish police drama. However you can tell it is aimed at the youth market.
It depends on the streaming service. I see plenty of older titles on HBO Max, Peacock and Amazon Prime for example.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Well, zero for twenty. Almost a year ago, I posted the OP, and not a single title from my list has made it to Blu-ray. Has WAC released any RKO Blu's in 2020?
A new Blu-ray of After The Fox is being released by the BFI next week. Some nice extras on it and since i have all region player i might get it.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I use Netflix DVD for Criterion, they have 95% of them. I've never had a Netflix Blu-ray subscription, so you're on your own there. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks