What's new

What's next for BCI? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura

Be warned that there is an issue with the mastering of this set-- someone threw the wrong switch, and the video has been transferred as 30fps progressive, instead of interlaced. Which means the original, crisp videotaped image now no longer looks as it should...

Just thought everyone might want to know, if it wasn't already general knowledge.

-Kevin

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yikes! :eek: Not common knowledge to me, Kevin. How bad is it? And, what does it look like? Soft? Or jagged edges? Ugh.

Any answers would be appreciated so I know if I should return it unopened.

I doubt we'll be getting it fixed considering the situation with BCI....

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura

On top of the now-slightly "film-ised" look of the show, the image seems a bit softer than it should, and any sudden movement now causes a noticeable flicker in the moving parts of the picture, due to the de-interlacing.

Sloppy mastering, I'm afraid... **very** disappointing.

-Kevin

Jobla

Supporting Actor
According to Amazon.com my copies of BCI's DRIVE-IN CULT CLASSICS VOL. 4 are being prepared for shipment, so hopefully this signals that Navarre will be honoring the pre-orders for the BCI titles announced for January and the first quarter of 2009.

Best Buy's website is also taking pre-orders for the BCI titles, including the two EXPLOITATION CINEMA double-bills scheduled for January 27th, but apparently won't be stocking the 2009 BCI titles in their retail stores.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
At least, Cliff MacMillan (the former honcho of BCI/Eclipse) has now landed at Shout! Factory DVD, as per the latest issue of Home Media Magazine. Cliff is the VP of DVD production and acquisitions, and will report to president Garson Foos. Hopefully, Cliff will carry on the great work he did at BCI at his new home, Shout!, and will continue to bring us great cult films on DVD.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
A number of BCI TV-on-DVD titles are now available as remainders at Oldies.com. Might be a good time to pick some of these up given who knows whether or not some other company will get future rights to these . . .

Ultraman, series 1, vols. 1&2 - $9.95 each volume
Space Academy, complete series - $8.95
New Zoo Review, season 1 - $5.95
The Ghost Busters (live action), complete series - $7.95
The Sweeney (British crime series), series 1 - $8.95
Man About the House (British comedy series), series 1&2 - $8.95
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom - Ultimate 50 episodes - $12.95
Secrets of Isis, complete series - $8.95

Oldies had been selling all three seasons of "Wanted Dead or Alive" but sold out.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

looks like it could be expensive due to the fact they charge $4.99 and then an additional $2.99 per discs in a boxset

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I just picked up the 80s version of He-man. I was wondering if the latter He-man series are in danger of going OOP as well? I ask because amazon.com has them listed as Navarre only and not BCI or BCI/Navarre as others are. I'm hoping to delay purchasing the newer series. It would be great to not have to worry about getting it yet....

EDIT: I went ahead and nabbed them.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Still interested if they are going to keep pressing them under the Navarre name....

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So I just found a copy of The Price Is Right at the local used record shop for 14 bucks. For that kind of bread, how could I pass it up (even tho it wasnt my favorite gameshow of the lot). It's a damn shame that BCI didnt mix up the series a bit more. It was cool to see the early 70's and 50's, but why were the 80's totally ignored? Ah well, the 70's stuff was still good fun.

So aside from the one set of Match Game, the one Family Feud and the one Price is Right - did BCI ever release any other game shows?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Tony J Case

So I just found a copy of The Price Is Right at the local used record shop for 14 bucks. For that kind of bread, how could I pass it up (even tho it wasnt my favorite gameshow of the lot). It's a damn shame that BCI didnt mix up the series a bit more. It was cool to see the early 70's and 50's, but why were the 80's totally ignored?
Probably because time has not healed the wounds between Bob Barker and the former models. IIRC, he had some influence over the content: therefore no furs and no Barker's Beauties.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Yes, they released a set of Password just before they shut down. And didn't they release an anthology of game shows as well?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The Password set alas was screwed up in one key way. They didn't transfer the material right and as a consequence the episodes they spotlighted have more of a kinescopey/film look to them rather than the pristine videotape look they're supposed to have. So unfortunately while I bought it, I may never watch it beacuse my recordings from GSN look so much better.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I can understand with the fur (not that I agree with it, but there you go), but it's a shame about the rest of it. I'd have loved to seen some of the ones run in my youth. It was also dissappointing that after such a good job delivering on the Match Game extras that Price got nothing.

Password. . . geeze, I'm drawing a blank on that one. I don't even vaguely remember it. Still, I'll have to keep my eye out and see if a copy ever turns up. I'm really liking these old game shows!

***EDIT***
Ah, yes - I remember password now. Youtube is your friend! (:

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Probably because time has not healed the wounds between Bob Barker and the former models. IIRC, he had some influence over the content: therefore no furs and no Barker's Beauties.
And this is exactly the reason why I loathe Bob Barker so much. He likes to cover up everything that he's guilty of. He likes to cover up the fact that he got Mark Breslow fired, he likes to cover up the fact that he became executive producer in 1986, he likes to cover up the fact that he mistrated Dian Parkinson, he likes to cover up the fact that he mistreated Holly Hallstrom, he likes to cover up the fact that he mistreated Janice Pennington and Kathleen Bradley, and finally, he likes to cover up the fact that he mistreated Rod Roddy.

His final episode was quite possibly the worst game show finale of all time. There was NOT ONE single human being that he made an apology towards in the last segment. He made sure that it was all about him. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if BCI actually didn't want to include the final week, but was forced by Bob Barker at the last minute to do so.

He is such a huge drama queen. He is also the biggest crybaby in the game show world. The fact that he threatened to sue Betty White over an Elephant in the L.A. Zoo really demonstrates his lack of maturity.

But fear not because one day, his cover will be blown by Chris Mann (the man who wrote a tell-all book on "Three's Company"), and people will get to know everything there is to know about the true nature and history of Bob Barker that Barker himself (pathetically) tried to cover up.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Barker's pettiness regarding fur coats given away is also incidentally the reason why GSN was not able to air any of the TPIR nighttime shows hosted by Dennis James on GSN back in the days when TPIR was part of their lineup. His obnoxious behavior as the years went by made me tune out watching the show altogether (I always say that the moment Bob stopped dying his hair was when his personality changed).

David Levine

Supporting Actor
We tried everything we could to get him to OK the use of episodes with fur. We offered to put an intro on the discs where Bob could explain his views. We offered to donate a portion of the sales to a charity of Bob's choice (and let him use that in the opening as a way of making amends for past transgressions), etc.

But in the end, we were only allowed a window of certain episodes, and only ones without fur. So Cliff had to watch every episode we wanted to use to make sure no furs snuck through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks