What's new

What's next for BCI? (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I would just hope that they can include the actual pilot episode this time out (on the original release, the episode they list as "pilot" is actually the first telecast episode, not[/i] the actual pilot, which had a few differences to the series (including the "Super Match" being called the "Jackpot Match" instead, the sign just saying 'Match Game' instead of 'Match Game 73', etc.)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Did they ever get around to fixing the first Match Game set? Is there any way I can exchange it now for non-defective discs?

David Levine

Supporting Actor

It should be. For the first one we were just given finished DLTs, so we didn't have any control over the content. We're picking everything (with the help of a number of consultants) on all the upcoming Game Show sets.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Wha haaa! More Match Game...yes!! Maybe this time you can do an entire week's worth on one disc; just so we can see if the panelists are drunker on Thurs & Fri's episodes. hehehehee!

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on The Secret Lives of Waldo Kitty or Zorro or The Lone Ranger? They were part of the Filmation announcement a year ago and were supposedly scheduled for 2007. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for these releases!

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

Announced for 2007 but currently unscheduled

* The Cat Pack: Waldo Kitty & Fraidy Cat Volume 1
* The Cat Pack: Waldo Kitty & Fraidy Cat Volume 2
* Zorro & The Lone Ranger Volume 1
* Zorro & The Lone Ranger Volume 2
* Bravestarr: Volume 1
* Bravestarr: Volume 2
* Fabulous Funnies — The Complete Series
* A Snow White Christmas

Most of them are probably pushed back to 2008. As far as I know, none of them have been cancelled.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
How about they Wrest Have Gun Will Travel from the Steely Death Claws of CBS/Paramount.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It would be great if BCI could get their hands on The Gobots. Considered by most people of my age as the poor man's Transformers, but I used to really enjoy this cartoon. It ran 60+ episodes, and it would be great to get the complete series with the fantastic care, and quality that BCI is known for.

Duane Alford

Second Unit

I was just thinking the same thing.

And since Fox doesn't care about The Big Valley, oh how I wish they could get ahold of it and give us whole season sets of seasons 2-4. :D

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

What I can't understand is why release "Lone Ranger" and "Zorro" in a combined collection"?

"Zorro" has 13 episodes and "Lone Ranger" has 28 Episodes - I can't believe that individual volumes of both series wouldn't sell as well,or better.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here is a recent article about BCI:
__________________________________________________ _______________
Navarre Q2 Loss Up as BCI Struggles
Author: ERIK GRUENWEDEL
Posted: November 7, 2007
Ongoing restructuring problems with DVD distributor BCI contributed to Navarre Corp. posting a second quarter loss.

Navarre lost $400,000 during the quarter ended Sept. 30, compared to income of $1.6 million during the same period last year.

Minneapolis-based Navarre properties include publishing subsidiaries Funimation, Encore and BCI.

Navarre said it realized a $6 million comparable-year decline in distribution revenue, following a strategic decision to exit an unprofitable major studio DVD contract with an unnamed retail partner.

“BCI's results were disappointing relative to budget, as we consolidated its operations and work towards defining its niche in the DVD sector,” said Cary Deacon, CEO of Navarre, in a statement.

Deacon said the company would continue to focus efforts to reposition BCI into the Latino and budget categories.

“We continue to work towards getting BCI on track,” he said.

Overall revenues totaled nearly $144 million, compared to nearly $159 million last year.
__________________________________________________ ________________

This is so sad! The Filmation releases in my opinion are still the most impressive dvd releases I have seen! Beautiful packaging,(just check out the packaging and disc art for the Isis set...stunning) low prices(I would have gladly paid double the price for every Filmation title without a second thought) and tons of fantastic extras. I'm hoping the second volume of Bravestarr is still a go, because I just purchased the first one. Just doesn't seem fair. The big studios continue to frustrate potential buyers with their half-ass attempts. Bare bones, long wait(or abandonment) releases of tv season sets. BCI comes along, and they do everything exactly right, and in most cases exceed expectations. It's strange that perfection can result in financial losses. I was hoping BCI would someday get to release the Sid,and Marty Kroft shows that have been untouched, but at any rate, I now own some of the coolest 70's live action shows(Isis, Space academy, Ark 2, Jason of Star Command) and most of the animated Filmation shows on dvd.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
Exactly.

We are hardly becoming strictly a "Budget and Latin" company. We're just rediscovering our roots - and we've had some real success lately with both of those genres. All that we're doing is instead of ignoring those tried and true revenue streams, we're bringing them back into the fold.

This doesn't affect our Ink and Paint line (our upcoming 2002 Mike Young He-Man series is easily going to be the most impressive set we've ever put out), our expanding Martial Arts lines, our Game Shows (Match Game, Family Feud, Price is Right and more to come) and definitely not our MMA lines (we distribute both UFC and PRIDE).

And we've been having luck with non-animated TV of late. Wanted Dead or Alive turned out to be a big hit for us, and like I said in the above quote, we have a few surprises up our sleeves that will be announced soon.

-David

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
one should never lose focus on profit making divisions.

although I'm curious about the upcoming live action project.

Do hope you can get Life of Reilly, the documentary about Charles Nelson Reilly seeing how you've had such good luck with the Match Game DVD set.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
Nope. Its just that we knew neither show would sell that well on their own, so the hope was that they'd do better combined.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I love what BCI has released in the past and hope to see more things I want coming from them. I am not so in to the Latin and Budget lines though it would be nice if some pd material received the kind of quality treatment the Filmation series have gotten.

On a side note, is Fabulous Funnies still coming? and would the 1 Tumblweeds cartoon be included? I understand there was some tale of it not being approved by the creator, that is it was made without his knowledge.

What happened to Animated All Stars Volume 2? I never knew what the content was to be but it was listed as coming some time ago, I do believe.

Will Snuffy Smith get a release like Beetle Bailey?

Some suggestions of things I'd like to see BCI release: Robotman, Pogo, Miss Switch, Fish Police, Spitting Image, Covington Cross, Johnny Bago, The Outlaws, Probe and Phoenix.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I would like to see BCI try and get some of those shows that ran for 1/2 season or less. I just posted in the wish for 2008 thread that Fantastic Journey would be great. If BCI could get other short run series like Logan'Run, Man From Atlantis, Quark, Manimal, or Werewolf. Make it some kind of line not unlike MGM's Midnight Movies. Id buy em.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks