What's next after Orbital, Chemical Bros, Crystal Method?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason L., Dec 27, 2001.

1. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Hey Y'all,

I have been getting into Techno/Electronica music for the past year or so. I have pretty much listened to every album from Orbital, The Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, and Uberzone.

I was wondering if someone could suggest some artists for me to listen to next. I am more into the harder stuff, as trance music is a little dull for me [which is why I am dissapointed in where the Chemical Brothers are heading - their last album put me to sleep].

Any suggestions?

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

FAT BOY SLIM has been my fave techno/electronica music lately. Have you seen the "Push the Tempo" video yet?

3. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

Jason, too be honest I'm not really into the hard stuff anymore, I was from about 96 - 99. Nowdays I'm into the lighter stuff that you "sit down and listen to", so that's what these suggestions are, mostly. The hard stuff...just doesn't do it for me anymore unless I'm at the club. I'm not including a lot of comments, I'd say check out samples on amazon.com, download mp3s, read reviews, etc. I might post some more ideas when I get home and take a quick look through my cd collection.
    This is artists only, not specific albums:
    Kruder and Dorfmeister (includes their solo acts Tosca and Peace orchestra)
    Thievery corporation
    anything by Kid Loco (except for his new album which is some sort of shitty light rock music)
    Those first three are what I would call "lounge techno", check em out to see what I mean.
    Mogwai (not really techno but close, it's creative guitar work with some interesting effects)
    Delerium (kinda goth ambient music, although the new CD is more commercial and greared to more general, 20-something kind of crowd)
    Aphex twin. I'm guessing you've heard a few tracks by him. If not, check a few out, if you like it you might also like Squarepusher or Autechre, or anything on warp records for that matter.
    Banco de Gaia. This guy has amazing talent, he mixes world music with techno, thats as specific as I can get. Try to find his old CD's on mp3 as they aren't in print anymore due to probs with his old record label. His album "magical sounds of Banco de Gaia" has a few hard tracks on it.
    oh I do have one suggestion for trance though...Astral Projection. Their CDs are very hard to find in the US, but you can import them, or try going the mp3 route if you have that option. They are the gods of trance in a lot of people's minds including mine, as their tracks have an amazing amount of energy in them.
    Ok I'll think up some more, hopefully tonight at home if I remember [​IMG]
    Also check the below link from the orbital discussion board, it's a thread of people's favorite bands, most are techno. Since you like Orbital you might also like that discussion board in general (Orbital is my favorite band)
    http://pub69.ezboard.com/floopzoffic... ID=1254.topic

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Oh my god, this thread has got me all excited. If you like Chemical Bros., Crystal Method and Orbital, you NEED to hear these albums by the following artists. Crustal Method - Vegas is one of my three favourite albums.
    Good tracks, reflective of the whole albums, are bracketed:
    David Holmes - Let's Get Killed - released in 97 and still my 1st favourite album. Awesome. Unbreakable! (Gritty Shaker)
    Daft Punk - Homework - if you haven't heard this yet, your missing out on the best alternative dance album ever made. (Da Funk, Around the World)
    Les Rhythmes Digitales - Darkdancer - I suppose its an aquired taste, but only you aquire it, it'll be in the CD player day and night. ((hey you) whats that sound)
    Leftfield - Rhythm and Stealth - their first album Leftism is also really good, but this is certainly their most awesome collection of tunes! (Phat Planet)
    Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley Rhythm Ace. A really fun album. (Bently's Gonna Sort You Out)
    Aphex Twin - Windowlicker - only a single, but definately one of the coolest trackes ever produced. And it IS ESSENTIAL you find the video for this - its my favourite music video.
    Anything on Skint Records, though the following are essentials: Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry (go out and buy this one now), (and forget his latest album - it sucks!), Cut La Roc - La Roc Rocs, Midfield General - Generalistaion, Lo Fidelity Allstars - How to Operate with a Blown Mind (check out Battleflag for a taste of the allstars - you'll love it!)
    This niext list might not be your thing, but they're all brilliant, so if you like any of the above, you might wanna give em a try! Good tracks to check out are bracketed below album title:
    Squarepusher - Big Loada
    (come on my selector)
    Deejay Punk Roc - Chicken Eye
    (My Beatbox)
    Air - Moon Safari - more chill out that the chemical bros., but still a great album. (sexy boy, all i need)
    Kinobe - Soundphiles
    (slip into something more comfortable (instrumental only))
    Massive Attack - Mezzanine - my second favourite album, but nothing like chem bros, or orbital. Fantastic! (angel)
    Mr. Scruff - Keep It Unreal
    (get a move on)
    Roni Size/Reprazent - New Forms - techno drum 'n' bass, but you cant not like this one
    (Brown Paper Bag - essential!)
    Mirwais - Production - the track below is the best thing about this one.
    (disco science)
    Freestylers - We Rock Hard
    (b-boy stance)
    If you don't like trance, as you said in your post, these albums should be just your thing!

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Underworld - get to your nearest record supplier and get Beaucoup Fish now. Right now, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Utter genius; you might as well grab the just as good Second Toughest In The Infants album as well to save you going straight back for it. Besides, that has to be the best album title ever, as well.
    Other than them, I'll second David Holmes, although I might start you off on his soundtrack to Out Of Sight as its a cool film that you might find cheap; that way even if you don't find yourself liking the music you can watch the film. In fact generally I agree with Paul's nominations.
    And if you're into harder stuff then Aphex Twin's Classics and the LFO albums are pretty bloomin' loud!

6. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I am perhaps the biggest Aphex Twin fan and I must add that Richard James (a.k.a. Aphex Twin) has produced ear bleeding hard techno as well as soul-touching ambient. Me, I prefer the ambient stuff, in fact ever since I was a DJ in college 10 years ago, I have dedicated part of my life to finding the best in ambient techno, what some call intelligent techno, actually, there have been many different names.
    So here are my suggestions if you care, this is what I consider to be real gems, even if its not the next big thing, I would proudly call it the best music you've never heard.
    Ultramarine - Every Man and Woman is a Star (1992) tapers off a bit at the end but the first 80% of the CD is timeless, may seem a bit dated now.
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (The Holy Grail of ambient techno). Like nothing else I have ever heard.
    Aphex Twin has many other wonderful compositions scattered throughout all his releases so you have to scour the net and his cds to glean the good stuff because a lot of it is drum-n-bass acid techno (which I tend to dislike). I can give a list of the good stuff if you want and let morpheus do the rest.
    Orbital - In-sides is good.
    Banco de Gaia is quite good as is Joi.
    I like the early Orb especially U.F.Orb
    hmmm, what else....well, I wont even go into a discourse on
    my favorite electronic band .

7. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Hehehe... Right on guys... Pure classics.

8. John K Carter

John K Carter Stunt Coordinator

Of course if you want a real "hard" electronic adventure go back a few years and try some of these.

Skinny Puppy

Download

Plateau

Coil

Hallueinogen

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Are David Holmes' albums similar to the work he did on the Out of Sight soundtrack? I thought that was fantastic, but never got around to getting an album...(bought the soundtrack though)

-Dave

10. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

David Holmes's other work is usually a touch more electronic, although Bow Down To The Exit Sign in particular is very diverse. If there is a single thread running through everything, though, its that remarkable funkiness that he does so well on Out Of Sight. Tracks like My Mate Paul and Rodney Yates are probably your next step for you, by the sound of it.
    Oh, and Alex - I generally prefer the 'quieter' side of the Aphex Twin's work - my first Twin purchase was the sublime Polygon Window album (I liked the cover, and it was on Warp; I was into LFO at the time). Its just that his ear-shattering noise pieces are closer to the Chems brief we've been given.

12. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Great thread gang, and thanks a lot for increasing my CD 'want' list.[​IMG]
    Here's what I can add:
    1. DJ Shadow: Endtroducing - not electronic, but all original vinyl mixed on top of each other. Essential listening.
    2. Aphex Twin: Windowlicker - The greatest single I have ever heard. Plus, the video is on the CD. Great video.
    The Richard D. James album is outstanding, and I really like the new one Drukqs.
    3. Mu-Ziq: Linatic Harness
    4. If you like Aphex Twin + Mu-Ziq, check out the disc they did together - Mike and Rich: Expert Knob Twiddlers
    5. Splattercell: OAH
    6. Mouse on Mars: Idiology
    7. DJ Krush: Kakusei
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll chime in with more as I think of them.

13. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Of course, I find this thread when I'm at work, and don't have access to my CD collection!
    Just a couple comments...
    Orbital/Chem. Bros/Crystal Meth./Uberzone - all very cool...good start! Too bad you didn't like the Chem. Bros latest, though, I think it's their best yet.
    Fatboy Slim - the majority of his work (both original and remixes) will fit in well with what you've already found.
    Daft Punk - sorry, but I find them boring, boring, boring. The one and only time I ever actually enjoyed listening to 'Around the World' I was on two hits of acid...and now that I've stopped dropping, they're just not high on my playlist anymore.
    Leftfield - I haven't heard the new album yet, but their debut album and the single they did with Afrikaa Bambaata are excellent.
    Freestylers - some of the tracks on 'We Rock Hard' slide a little more into the modern hip-hop scene than I normally go, but certainly not a bad album.
    Underworld - oh, hell yes! My single favorite electronica band. Get anything you can find - it's all excellent (though I'll probably always have a soft spot for 'Cowgirl' as my favorite).
    Skinny Puppy / Download / Coil / Plateau / Hallucinogen - wow...nice little slide into the Industrial side of things there. From what JasonL started with, I'd recommend he sample these before buying them. I like them a lot, but they're not quite in the same vein as Crystal Meth. et. al.
    Other recommendations as I come up with them (U.K. members may have to forgive me...on the one hand, I've been DJ'ing for years so am not completely clueless...on the other hand, I was DJ'ing in Anchorage, Alaska - which is a minimum of 6 months to 2 years behind the rest of the US - and you know how far the US is behind the UK as far as _good_ music goes! [​IMG]):
    Josh Wink aka Winx ('acid' techno, can be either very cool or very annoying depending on your mood), DJ Keoki (fairly cheezy and slightly pop-oriented, but usually fun), Cirrus (one of the few US-based groups to put out decent stuff), Prodigy (I like it all, but their most recent album would probably be the safest start if you're new to them).
    And, one quick shameless plug - I've been DJ'ing off and on for about 8 years now, and have some mp3 files of mixsessions posted on my DJ propaganda page. You'll want a decent speed connection to grab them (or a lot of patience) as they range from 20-80 Mb each, but I'd love to get some feedback (well...except for 'Difficult Listening Hour 3' - listened to it last night and heard more trainwrecks than I remembered...time to re-mix that one!). Anyway, you might find some songs in those mixes that you like, too....

14. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

15. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Thanks for the help. Mark, that thread you linked was excellent.

After going through various sources, these artists generated the most number of responses:

Aphex Twin

Autechre

Squarepusher

Fatboy Slim

Underworld

Kraftwerk

Future Sound of London

RadioHead

The Orb

StereoLab

808 State

LFO

I had a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble. Not a good selection but I picked out

The Orb - Orbus Terrarum

Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

I'll see how it goes.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between techno/electronica and DJ albums? Can anyone tell me about Paul Oakenfold, John Digweed, or Sasha?

Thanks.

16. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I would consider these new bands the best in electronica/industrial today:
    Assemblage 23 (kind of a mix between Leather Strip and VNV Nation)
    NCC (their Seven Steps of Nervousness is the most creative electronic music I've heard in years)
    God Module
    Believe it or not, but they have all been published by the now defunct Calgary-based Gashed! label.
    For rave reviews of their music, head on over to http://www.newempire.com, a great webzine-type site for the latest in hard electronica.
    Other goodies:
    Front 242 (the band that started the whole thing. [​IMG] )
    Front Line Assembly (electo-industrial - the same folks on the Delerium project)
    VNV Nation

18. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    Assemblage 23 is AWESOME!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] That dude is like a Goth Dance God! (I'm also a Goth head) I had a bear of a time finding his two albums though. Had to find 'em on the web.
    I also just picked up Summerbreeze by DJ Tiesto today which is quite good. It's in the Techo/Trance genre. I think Tiesto is rated 4th or 5th on the top 100 DJ's list.

19. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

20. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I suprised no one has mentioned:
    The Propellar Headss
    Their album: Decksanddrumsandrockandroll is pretty good. Other than that, I don't listen to techno.