What's new

Whats New Pussycat DVD release this week (1 Viewer)

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't know this was being released this week until just a few minutes ago and was wondering if anyone had picked it up and could give a brief review?

LOVE this film and am happy with my copy on LaserDisc but would pick this DVD up in a heartbeat for extras or better than better picture improvement.

Maxx

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I picked it up today along with "Never Let Go". I will post my thoughts later, but according to the box, it is letterboxed 1.66:1 with no 16:9 enhancement, and the only extra is a trailer.

I will freeze frame and slow-mo the Ursula Andress segments extensively to try and determine if the source was a progressive transfer. Sheeesh! The things I do for you guys in the name of cinema. Oh well, I guess someone has to take one for the team. ;)

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The A/V is serviceable, but this DVD authoring is not likely from a new hi-def master based on artifacts like frame jitter. The audio on the title song during the opening credits is especially bad. You may want to stand pat with your laserdisc, although I don't have a copy of the LD to compare, myself.

Regards,

Guido Bibra

Stunt Coordinator
The european R2 release does have an anamorphic transfer which looks quite nice - but the AR is 1.78:1 and crops way too much on the top and bottom of the frame. I thought of getting the R1 because the english soundtrack on the R2 is really bad - but it seems MGM didn't manage to fix that on the R1. Even the sound on the german dub of the R2 is better than the english track!

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
As I have read (but not confirmed), this movie has a bad transfer and sequences have been edited out.

True?

Paul

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
What sequences were supposed to have been edited? There are definitely some awkward edits, but they are pretty much as I remember them. Then again, I never watch this film that intently. The transfer is an old one, for sure.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks