What's needed for 7.1? (Denon 3802) and advice requested

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Maher, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Denon 3802 and will be purchasing Klipsch Reference series speakers (RF-3II models all around) and an SVS (20-39PC+) sub soon. I would like to know what is necessary to bring my system up to full 7.1. The Denon lists support for 7 channels, so is an extra amp necessary? If so, which would be a good one to consider? If I were to go to a 7.1 setup I'd only have about 400 to spend on both the extra rears and amp (cheap price on Denon and slightly different speaker config, gave me a bit extra spending money). Also, in terms of the extra rears, should I go with the same primary klipsch rears and get 4 of them (RS-3II) or go with 2 RS-3IIs and 2 RB-3 bookshelf speakers (which would actually cost a bit more)? Thanks for the help!

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

The 3802 has 7 channels of amplification. You can run 7 speakers with the receiver alone and not need a separate amp.

Can't help with klipsch speaker recommendations. sorry.

3. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I would do 2 RS-3IIs for side surrounds and 2 RB-3s for the back.

4. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

Excellent, I should be able to squeak in two more rears (or bookshelf speakers) in my current budget, but an extra amp would put me too far over budget to consider at this time. I am VERY anxious to listen to true DTS-ES, so this is good news indeed. I suppose I should pose my speaker question in the speaker forum. Thanks for the help.

5. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

tom,

don't let fool you by the number of amps or used speakers. maximum you will get is a 6.1 system nothing more, nothing less, regardless of how many backspeakers you will hook up to the avr3802.

regards, holger

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I bought 6 JBL 28s at UBID for $29 each plus shipping. They are now down to $19. Excellent for a medium bookshelf speaker. I don't use these for the mains, just the backs, surrounds, and another bedroom setup. The AR 2062 is another fine choice. There is no need to get fancy except for the fronts. IMO you need great front speakers and a great sub.[​IMG]

7. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

My personal opinion is that ES and EX sound better with 2 speakers(7.1) in the rear instead of 1(6.1), even though there is only one actual signal being sent to the 2 speakers. Besides, Tom will already have the amplification for 7 speakers.