What's new

What's More Important: Transport or DACs? (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I am considering getting a fairly decent DAC to use for CD listening. Here is my equipment list:

Panasonic RP-91

Denon DCM-370

Denon AVR-2700 (as pre/pro)

QuickSilver V4 Mono-Block Amps

Vandersteen Model Fives

I've been building this system for quite some time: I started with the speakers and then got the amps. I tried a QuickSilver Line Stage but just couldn't justify the price at the time. So now I am looking at upgrading the signal I feed to the pre/pro.

I go back and forth between the Panny and the DCM - it just depends on what I feel like when I am putting the CD in the player. I am considering getting something like the new Music Fidelity A3 24 DAC (retails for about $1200) and using either the Panny or DCM to do the transporting.

Would I be better off just getting a really good quality CD player (like a Rotel or one of the nice Sony ES units) than getting a dedicated DAC?

Thanx,

Lin

Larry B

Screenwriter
Lin:

While I am a firm believer in the importance of a good transport (in fact, I use a dedicated transport), the DACS are of greater importance. However, it is a mistake to judge the perfomance of a player simply by the brand of DAC it uses, as this says nothing of the all-important DC power, and the way the circuits are isolated. Circuit isolation is the reason many really high-end manufacturers (e.g., Naim, Ayre, Mark Levinson) use external power supplies in their top-of-the-line equipment.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks