What's more important - reciever or floor speakers?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ryan.Masters, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ryan.Masters

ryan.Masters Auditioning

Hello all, newbie here. I am trying to take my surround sound to the next level and as a poor college student have limited options. I currently am running a JVC Rx6000 reciever with 4 Polk RM2300 SAT series speakers and a same series center speaker plus a good subwoofer. As far as clarity and definition for movies which would be a more noticeable improvement... adding floorstanding tower speakers for the front two channels, or getting a new reciever? I'm thinking of getting the floorstanding speakers since these satellite ones are pretty small (but they sound great). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Tough decision...

I pick speakers. But that'll bring up the "non-matching center" problem.

I lived with the same HK AVR for 4 years, but changed speakers like 9 times.

Now I have a new HK AVR, several generations and steps up the ladder, and the difference isn't all that noticeable.

Speakers.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, if you're talking specifically movies, i gotta say it may not really matter.

you already have decent satellite speakers and (per you) a good sub ... correct? then think about this. for the most part, movies are dialog. you'll have the occasional crash and explosion, but that's about it. dialog is mostly mid to high range ... so your existing speakers will handle that. your sub will take care of the rest.

now, if we're talking about music, then (personally) i feel a good floorstanding speaker is better then a sub/sat combo. some will definitely disagree with me, but that's my .02.

in general (and i think most will agree regardless of my above blabbering) a change of speakers will be more noticeable then a change in amplification.

4. ryan.Masters

ryan.Masters Auditioning

Yes it is for pretty much movies and the dialog is handled well, but I do watch mostly action movies and I'm just looking to hear every little detail so I think I'll go with the speakers. Thanks all!

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well... wait a second.

If you mean floor-standing speakers with a woofer - you are duplicating effort.

Your L/R speakers are placed to help create a sound-stage for the dialog/effects/music. But this location in your room is NOT usually the best place for a woofer.

Having a good external sub is generally superior to full-range tower speakers because you can place the sub in the better spot in the room.

Plus - tower speakers with a woofer will take a lot more power from your reciever. (Those low-frequency sounds take a lot of air movement/power). So while your current receiver works fine with small sats, you have now dramatically increased the power demand with full-range speakers.

My advice: stick with small speakers. But find some that are more detailed. Even if this is for a HT application, use an audio CD for auditions. Music is a lot harder for speakers to reproduce than movie soundtracks and will show you things that a DVD will not.

Hope this helps.

6. ryan.Masters

ryan.Masters Auditioning

Hmm interesting point. I just thought a 2 or 3 way speaker would provide more clarity, I'm not looking for one with a woofer but they may all come with it anyways. I'll do some more searching.

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I went from small 2-way 5.5" woofs to big-ass 3-ways with 15's. Not crap either, but JBL Pro - the difference was major. Bass was now all around me, like being in a swimming pool instead of a bucked getting tossed on me.

But ultimately they didn't stay - the mids and highs were meant for rooms larger than mine and the cabinets are fugly per the WAF. So I went back to the above mentioned 2-way and lowered my crossover to 60, the lowest allowed by the mains. A good compromise.

You have to try it to see for yourself. We can only offer opinions based on experience.