What's left?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John DeSantis, Nov 27, 2001.

1. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

I just read a post about power cord upgrades. Even the king ( Mike Knapp ) uses them which would suggest that there may be something to this. I know I'll get attacked for this but, $54.00 a foot for power cord? Where might I find the tests, data etc. that would warrant upgrading my power cords? What's next, building your own sub station in the basement? It seems to me that a maker of a 2000.00 receiver isn't going to compromise the perfomance by using a cord that limits it's ability to perform to specifications. Not trying to be ( too ) sarcastic but are we running out of areas to upgrade?

Let the attacks begin !!

2. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Hmmm... All that other stuff aside I think the only real question you asked is are we running out of stuff to upgrade. I don't think so, my x-mas list certainly isn't a short one. [​IMG]
    Now I don't know what all the Mike Knapp stuff is about.. it seems apparent you understand his position on the subject. But I agree with him in that there is little room to debate human perception and even less room to debate what someone does with their money.
    Simply put, if you feel you're getting the most out of your power cords, then thats $54/ft you saved. Spend the savings on things you truely feel upgrade your system.
    Kevin

3. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

Let me be clear. The Mike Knapp reference was used to illustrate that there may possibly be something to this in that I respect his opinions. I've seen many of his posts and it's clear he knows his stuff. I don't know the man and I certainly didn't intend any disrespect.

Yes, I am asking if this upgrade IS more than a perception? Is there any test results or data to back this up?

4. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    I have never seen any tests, but I dont look for the tests either...there may well be some, and they may well prove that no measurable difference exists, or that it cannont possibly effect the audio. I simply dont care what the tests say, I use my own built in test gear.[​IMG]
    The standard argument is that the electricity travels many miles through lots of different wires before it gets to your wall outlet so how can the last 6 feet improve anything? This is where the skeptics get lost I think, it doesent always improve things...it can change them however. Sometimes good, sometimes not and sometimes not at all even.
    I like to think of it in an analogy to water. Water from a garden hose tastes different than water from your tap which also tastes different than water from your refrigerator door. All of the water has travelled through miles of pipes to get to your house, how could the last 6 feet make any difference? [​IMG]
    I recommend you buy a cable from a company with a liberal return policy, if you realize no difference (or a degradation) return it. Perhaps you will notice a change, like it, but not deem it worth the expense....return it and get a refund. Nothing lost but some time.
    As with all products, I would not purchase anything I couldnt return if I was not satisfied with the performance.
    If you hear the differences, the tests are not necessary, if you cant hear the differences, the tests are not going to make you hear them. and so the tests are again un-necessary. Either way, the tests are not necessary.
    Good luck!
    Mike

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Mike,

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

7. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

8. RossB

RossB Extra

I could be missing the point here but if the 6 foot power cord could make a difference, why wouldn't you just extend the 14/2 electical cable from the outlet right onto your amp. It would take just a bit of figiting...but at a saving of 47 bucks a foot...that a bit of a savings.

Perhaps even better when designing your home theater why not run a 12/2?

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

10. Mike Knapp

Mike

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

12. John Morris

John Morris Guest

13. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

John,

I think Ross was refering to DIRECTLY WIRING into the amp with the Romex home wiring. This can be done but you had best know damn well what you are doing or your insurance agent will not answer your calls or give you the time of day, let alone send you a XMASS card.

It is a UL issue when you come down to it. No cert., or approval, on "special wiring"... etc... you are SOL.

Another way of looking at your aftermarket PC is----- the FIRST 6 ft of wire your equipment sees is your aftermarket PC, NOT the miles and miles of infrastructure consisting of wire and transformers. Half empty/half full argument.

BOK

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Saurav, I agree almost entirely with what you wrote.
    But

15. Mike Knapp

Mike
    If you become an engineer that thinks outside the box then you will become a great man that creates new things. Go get 'em! [​IMG]
    Mike

16. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

17. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

18. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Holy Cow! Saurav IS in Sonoma. How could I be so stupid and disagree with him occasionally in the past? I am always looking for a great place to stay, with a fine music system, and a nice wine sippin porch... every Harvest... Dang! How quickly can I edit my last 300 posts...?:b

19. Mike Knapp

Mike
    Thinking inside the box is not dismissing science....it is the strict adhesion to it.

Engineers are taught to think inside the science box....the good ones will suspect there is more out there and seek it from beyond their science box confines.

Mike

20. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

LOL!!! Yup, I do love in Sonoma, been here for about a year now, and I absolutely love it. It's pretty cool to be within walking distance from what are arguably some of the best vineyards in the country, if not the world. The obvious advantage is that I don't have to drive to go wine tasting [​IMG]
    And anyone who wants to come up here for wine tasting and music is more than welcome [​IMG] I don't think my stereo counts as a "fine music system" yet, not by the standards of some of the members here, but it's certainly nice enough to be enjoyable at some level. Oh, and I don't have a home theater, just so you guys know [​IMG]