What's new

What's left, unreleased on 4k, that you would pay $50 to own on day one? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don't want to go off script but were any of you lucky enough to obtain the MY Fair Lady box set (125.00) with her original singing tracks?
If you’re talking about the laserdisc box set that comes with the book, CD, film prints etc, then I have it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Criterion LD boxset days were completely different context than now though. Back then, especially even before VHS could be had at sell-through prices, you had no real (reasonably affordable) alternatives nor already built a very sizeable collection on high quality media. You probably weren't buying them at those prices to round out an already large (nearly completed?) collection of virtually equal quality LDs.

Most any new 4Ks coming out in near future won't be giant leaps in quality over existing BDs, if those exist for whichever titles (and may already be in your collection). Sure, you may still have some (relatively) small-ish number of titles not already on decent BDs (nor acceptable quality DVDs or near-BD-quality streaming perhaps), but really, they're not gonna be charging say $300-400 for such a release (to be comparable to inflation adjusted Criterion LDs back in the day)... and almost nobody would be buying them even at say $100 me thinks...

Major studio 4K output is still only a trickle so it's tough making these types of lists without going into a deep depression. We're actually getting more 4K product from small boutiques, which I find bizarre. Anyway, I would gladly pay $50 (or more) for:

A Dirty Harry box set. Ideally, Warner would replicate their fantastic DVD set, which I still own but have swapped the DVDs for Blu-rays so it feels like a patchwork job. I'd like something that feels store-bought (if that makes any sense).

Lethal Weapon Collection. It wouldn't feel complete without the Director's Cuts so they need to do both DC and theatrical. Sadly, Warner no longer knows what constitutes classy packaging design so when this finally materializes, it'll probably be similar to their flimsy set.

On the subject of packaging, US studios really have no clue when it comes to design. Either that or they're under the impression US fans don't care. To date I've preordered many Warner titles from the UK because they have much nicer editions. There's (extra) money to be made from packaging alone - plenty of collectors eat this stuff up and we're the primary market for physical media. Studios are still designing packaging for the Walmart sixpack crowd. They're stuck in 2006.

Are you saying you'd be willing to buy those boxsets in 4K at $50/movie, eg. $200 for the Lethal Weapon 1-4 set???

_Man_

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Are you saying you'd be willing to buy those boxsets in 4K at $50/movie, eg. $200 for the Lethal Weapon 1-4 set???

_Man_

I'm saying a lot of films are overdue for upgrades and, yes, there are certain properties I'm ready to spend good coin on. I am, by nature, not a cheapskate and have spent a good chunk of disposable income on movies. Having said that, I highly doubt Warner will ever attempt to charge $200 for Dirty Harry or LW collections. If I'm proven wrong, I'm still 100% on board.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I'm saying a lot of films are overdue for upgrades and, yes, there are certain properties I'm ready to spend good coin on. I am, by nature, not a cheapskate and have spent a good chunk of disposable income on movies. Having said that, I highly doubt Warner will ever attempt to charge $200 for Dirty Harry or LW collections. If I'm proven wrong, I'm still 100% on board.
I would pay $50 easily for a 4k of Dirty Harry. Not the others. I know it will never happen but maybe someone will do a Blazing Saddles level special box 4k of DH (or and it will never happen - a Criterion of that title.) It's a seminal film for Eastwood and Siegel, and an essential part of 70's American cinema.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would say there probably is still some kinda niche-within-niche market for $100-plus deluxe 4K comprehensive box-of-stuff (ala the Star Trek: The Motion Picture 4K Complete Adventure edition from couple years ago), but pretty sure they wouldn't force everyone interested in a particular title to buy something like that though... although Paramount came arguably close w/ that Star Trek: TMP release since that's the only way to get the "Special Longer Cut" (at least in excellent quality on 4K disc anyway)... but you'd also not really be paying for just 1 movie nor just the addition of the significantly different Director's Cut in 4K though (and both the theatrical and director's cuts in 4K are available separately for much less).

Heck, if Disney ever puts out the Star Wars OT in its original form, but in not-DNRed/tweaked-to-death 4K, and bundle that w/ good replicas of Luke and Vader's lightsabers (that they actually sell exclusively at Disney World for ~$150 each) or something like that for each movie, sure, I'd probably pay $150-plus, maybe even $200 for each of ANH and ESB -- throw in a 3rd nice merch comparable to a Sphero R2D2, which I already own, to go w/ RotJ, and I might be willing to spend $600 total for that, LOL. :D

_Man_

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I would say there probably is still some kinda niche-within-niche market for $100-plus deluxe 4K comprehensive box-of-stuff (ala the Star Trek: The Motion Picture 4K Complete Adventure edition from couple years ago), but pretty sure they wouldn't force everyone interested in a particular title to buy something like that though... although Paramount came arguably close w/ that Star Trek: TMP release since that's the only way to get the "Special Longer Cut" (at least in excellent quality on 4K disc anyway)... but you'd also not really be paying for just 1 movie nor just the addition of the significantly different Director's Cut in 4K though (and both the theatrical and director's cuts in 4K are available separately for much less).

Heck, if Disney ever puts out the Star Wars OT in its original form, but in not-DNRed/tweaked-to-death 4K, and bundle that w/ good replicas of Luke and Vader's lightsabers (that they actually sell exclusively at Disney World for ~$150 each) or something like that for each movie, sure, I'd probably pay $150-plus, maybe even $200 for each of ANH and ESB -- throw in a 3rd nice merch comparable to a Sphero R2D2, which I already own, to go w/ RotJ, and I might be willing to spend $600 total for that, LOL. :D

_Man_

Great thread discussion! So the Star Trek TMP complete adventure set was that first $50+ title for me. I bought a standard version and the set with the exclusive cut too.

Other than that it would be any of the older James Bond films in 4K for me. 1962 - 2002. I would favor the Connery and Moore films though if I have to pay $50 each. They would have to be new restoration prints and improved + original audio included in the sets to pay $50+. New extras would be great too.

I’m hoping when 007 comes to 4k they will be in sets. That was the best I could come up with though.

I’ve slowed down on discs (due to costs) as digital is so much cheaper and to my aging eyes looks great.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sell me a Kill Bill 4K boxset w/ a decent kimono & good, full size, replica katana and I'd also be willing to spend upto maybe $400 for the set, heh. ;)

Of course, they could also just sell me the discs for $20-30/movie and let me go buy my own kimono and katana of perhaps better quality (at whatever higher prices), heh...

Basically, I don't want "junk" in such, but really good quality merchs I'd normally already consider buying separately would be another story -- yes, I would actually like a decent kimono and good replica katana... and actually already own a few lightsabers (and that Sphero R2D2) exclusive to Disney World, but could use some replacements for them, heh... :P

_Man_

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Still awaiting The Woman Next Door, Two English Girls (uncut version), Le Femme Infidele, NADA, Le Bitches, Silverado, Deadfall (Michael Caine/Bryan Forbes), Confidentially Yours, all Edgar Wallace Titles, Bugsy, La Race des seigneurs/ Creezy (Alain Delon, Sydney Rome.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Sell me a Kill Bill 4K boxset w/ a decent kimono & good, full size, replica katana and I'd also be willing to spend upto maybe $400 for the set, heh. ;)

Of course, they could also just sell me the discs for $20-30/movie and let me go buy my own kimono and katana of perhaps better quality (at whatever higher prices), heh...

Basically, I don't want "junk" in such, but really good quality merchs I'd normally already consider buying separately would be another story -- yes, I would actually like a decent kimono and good replica katana... and actually already own a few lightsabers (and that Sphero R2D2) exclusive to Disney World, but could use some replacements for them, heh... :P

I'm not into kimonos or katanas, but was quite happy with the "junk" in the Japanese DVD box sets of those movies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm not into kimonos or katanas, but was quite happy with the "junk" in the Japanese DVD box sets of those movies.

I could probably also go for the (cult) classic yellow biker suit, heh... but that would definitely not be worth extra $150-200 or so (to me anyway). :P

_Man_

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
God forbid If/When? physical media ever permanently goes under one day and studios stop producing discs, every single remaining used and new DVD/Blu-Ray/4k on planet Earth will start selling for $100-$1,000+ on ebay depending on how rare and in demand it is. $50 would be a STEAL.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
God forbid If/When? physical media ever permanently goes under one day and studios stop producing discs, every single remaining used and new DVD/Blu-Ray/4k on planet Earth will start selling for $100-$1,000+ on ebay depending on how rare and in demand it is. $50 would be a STEAL.

That could certainly happen if so... BUT you're probably also ignoring the streaming trend too much in that thinking.

It's possible that we simply won't really have that much of a 2ndary market for discs by that point too due to streaming (and/or maybe something new yet to come... on top of the next stages along the YouTube/Twitter/TikTok trend), which isn't limited to subscription streaming either -- some of us actually also buy (or maybe even "rent") our digitals, particularly during good sales.

Hard to know until the time actually arrives as there are a lot of factors/variables including completely new tech trends that weren't really around in the past revolutionizing the marketplace...

_Man_

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

That's not exactly what happened when Laserdisc went obsolete.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
That's not exactly what happened when Laserdisc went obsolete.
And it took decades for anyone to really start caring about records again.
But vinyl is still SOMETIMES an aurally superior experience than listening to digital (I think that fact is pretty undisputed among most audiophile types (and I think that's reason behind it's comeback - above and beyond nostalgia - it sounds warmer and fuller.) Laserdisc was important and so much better than tape but it always was just a low res, inconvenient and pricey niche specialty format that was never a real competitor to video tape - and we know what happened to laserdisc once dvds took over.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Laserdisc was important and so much better than tape but it always was just a low res, inconvenient and pricey niche specialty format that was never a real competitor to video tape - and we know what happened to laserdisc once dvds took over.

A "niche specialty format" is exactly how the majority of the public today feels about any and every form of disc-based physical media, compared to what they perceive as the superiority of streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brandNbusiness
Recent bookmarks