What's new

What's Left on Your Grail Show List? (1 Viewer)

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Since I last posted a list like this in 2013, SIX of my shows have come out in Complete Series sets. Here's what's left::

IT'S A LIVING - Snowball's chance in h*ll with Paul Kreppel singing snippets of popular songs in nearly all of the 130 episodes made. I'd even take just the first 3 years with Ann Jillian but Never Gonna Happen. So glad I finally have the entire run minus one episode; makes that fact more bearable. At least it's reportedly coming to Logo.

ALICE - Warner's has got this show rolling again. I am hopeful the last 3 seasons will be out soon.

POLICE WOMAN - Only one more Season left and I think Shout will come though on this one.

THE DONNA REED SHOW - We have the Shelley years and are now stuck with Trisha, but the later seasons have the late great Bob Crane, so it's a tradeoff. I heard Sony would not give MPI the time of the day when approached.

PHYLLIS - In the minority for sure, but I always preferred the MTM trilogy in the opposite order of it's popularity, so "Phyllis" is my favorite of the three followed by "Rhoda", then "Mary". With "Lou Grant" wrapping up soon, Shout should put this out next.

THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW (and SUSIE) - I liked the second incarnation set in the hotel better, but this show may be too old now to ever see a release.

ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR - Only recently have I become hooked on "Presents" so now I would love to see S7 and the hour-long series come out.

MURPHY BROWN - Like "It's a Living", another WB show that we'll never see due to music in nearly every episode. Not as big of a want as it was now that I scored the complete series uncut from Encore, but would still like it nontheless.

MY THREE SONS - Another show I own complete via bootleg, but the transfers done by CBS were amazing! Too bad they ruined it by re-dubbing the score. With 10 more seasons left to go, and CBS releasing split-seasons, this one's too cumbersome an undertaking for them to resume IMO.

HONORABLE MENTIONS - Not really Grail shows, but I'd pick these up in a heartbeat:

THE HOGAN FAMILY - One of the rare Miller-Milkis shows I actually can tolerate.
THE PAUL LYNDE SHOW - For the sheer curiosity and ludicrousness of seeing the sneering "Center Square" cast as a family man.
JULIA - Diahann Carroll's groundbreaking 1968-71 series.
HOT L BALTIMORE - Controversial curiosity from Norman Lear
ALL THAT GLITTERS - See above (and with a pre-"Dallas" Linda Gray cast as a transsexual).
227 - I have the complete run from Encore Black, but would buy official

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
While there are many that would be nice to have, my list is only three — two that have no chance of ever coming out (Slattery's People and The Great Adventure) and one that could (St. Elsewhere). Just a cut below is the TV flick City in Fear, with David Janssen, Robert Vaughn, Mickey Rourke, Susan Sullivan, Perry King, WIlliam Daniels and Allen Miller. It never got even a DVD release, just a VHS at SLP speed on Avid Home Entertainment.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Still the Beaver / The New Leave It to Beaver: this is a very peculiar example of a revival series not on DVD, due to the syndicator for the series, Qintex Entertainment, having declared itself bankrupt not long after the final episode aired on TBS in 1990. That's according to an interview with the show's stars.

I hope Universal Studios has cleared these disputes!

~Ben

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Still the Beaver / The New Leave It to Beaver: this is a very peculiar example of a revival series not on DVD, due to the syndicator for the series, Qintex Entertainment, having declared itself bankrupt not long after the final episode aired on TBS in 1990. That's according to an interview with the show's stars.

I hope Universal Studios has cleared these disputes!

~Ben

Are any sequel series out? Golden Palace, Three's A Crowd, Gloria, After MASH, Ozzie Girls, Sanford, Sanford Arms, etc. Even if the initial series sold well, there doesn't seem to be much appetite for the sequels. The only ones I can think of which got a release are the first seasons of Archie Bunker's Place and What's Happening Now.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Are any sequel series out? Golden Palace, Three's A Crowd, Gloria, After MASH, Ozzie Girls, Sanford, Sanford Arms, etc. Even if the initial series sold well, there doesn't seem to be much appetite for the sequels. The only ones I can think of which got a release are the first seasons of Archie Bunker's Place and What's Happening Now.

There's The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour in its entirety and partial DVD representation of The Brady Bunch's original cast sequel series. They even released the 1980s reboot of Mission: Impossible. And of course, there are all the post-original series Star Trek series. Outside of those, I'm stumped. Funny how people seem more eager to disregard TV sequels than movie ones.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
VEI released The Untouchables two-season syndicated reboot on DVD, followed by a blu-ray release last March. It originally aired for two seasons from January 1993 to May 1994. 42 episodes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks to a new thread by William, I just had to update this one.

I've checked 7 titles off my list since that post in November 2013!

Batman
The Bob Newhart Show
Newhart
Sgt. Bilko
WKRP
The Brittas Empire
(gave up on R1 and purchased it in R2)
with Green Acres coming soon (it's been on pre-order since the day it went up)!

That leaves only:

Green Hornet
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett
Amos 'n Andy
My Hero (British - finish)
The Burns and Allen Show
Whose Line is it Anyway? (British - finish)

Of those, I have hope for only Green Hornet and even that one's a slim hope. The 3 BW comedies I never expect to see released properly and legitimately. Now I just need someone to prove me wrong.
And updated to add The Jack Benny Show...

Green Hornet
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett
Amos 'n Andy
The Jack Benny Show
The Burns and Allen Show
Whose Line is it Anyway? (British - finish)
My Hero (British - finish)

As before, the only one I ever expect to see in proper release is Green Hornet. The others are either too niche, too old, too unPC, and/or too unknown (well... by most non old farts).

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
The rest of The Beverly Hillbillies
The rest of Petticoat Junction
Our Miss Brooks
Love That Bob/The Bob Cummings Show
The People's Choice
More of the original Mickey Mouse Club
More episodes from Walt Disney Presents/Wonderful World of Color
The Jack Benny Program
My Three Sons (not musically butchered)
The Lawrence Welk Show
Amos 'n' Andy

Last edited:

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
What I really want are the stalled series to be completed. My top choices are:

Love American Style
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
Beverly Hillbillies
The Defenders
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Police Story
The Rookies
Marcus Welby, MD
Ironside
Love Boat
Fantasy Island

I would love to see the following, which have not been released in the US.

Alfred Hitchcock Hour
Felony Squad
Run for your Life
The Name of the Game

Jobla

Supporting Actor
There are several one-season shows that I would like, such as THE AMERICANS and FOLLOW THE SUN from 1961.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks