What's new

What's Left on Your Grail Show List? (2 Viewers)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Although my tastes tend toward the 1960's, I'll vote for DOUBLE TROUBLE starring the Sagal twins.

I guess LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE is a stalled title. I've heard that the later seasons were all chopped up for syndication.
I'll suspect that when the show entered syndication in 1974, the specific edits were made right on the original negatives... correct?

~Ben

sullum

Agent
Real Name
Sam
I would love to see the short lived David Lynch series "On The Air". Only three episodes aired in the US, on ABC, but a total of seven were filmed. All seven aired in other countries.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
My Original List in 2013:

Ben Casey
The Dakotas
77 Sunset Strip
Bourbon St. Beat
Surfside 6
Hawaiian Eye
The Alaskans
The Californians
The Lineup (San Francisco Beat)
Hennessey
Temple Houston
East Side/West Side
The Defenders
The Trials of OBrian
12 O'Clock High

Of those, The Dakotas and Season 1 of the Defenders have been released, and reportedly The Californians is due for release before the end of the year. I don't hold much hope for the rest of these to ever be released. I have "unofficial" episodes and seasons of most of the others on my list, but quality suffers, and I would much rather have real DVD releases so I could retire the ones I already have.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
TV movies and unsold 30-minute pilots by Paramount Television that are on my grail list:
Seven in Darkness
The Silent Gun
Quarantined
Two Boys
The Murdocks and the McClays
Weekend of Terror
Assault on the Wayne
Dr. Cook's Garden
Escape
Terror in the Sky
God Bless Mr. Ferguson
Women in Chains
Wheeler and Murdoch
The New Healers
Night of Terror
The Heist
The Weekend Nun
Poor Devil
Call to Danger
A Time for Love
Catch-22 (TV)
Egan
Paramount Presents (a rare 1974 TV documentary seen on ABC hosted by Gloria Swanson, featuring numerous clips and highlights that document the studio's 62nd anniversary as a theatrical film company; such highlights include some of its then new films like Chinatown and The Godfather: Part II, and also featuring footage from Paramount Pictures' 61st anniversary in 1973, which was also the 100th anniversary of the birth of its founder, Adolph Zukor)
The Underground Man
Locusts
Delancey Street: The Crisis Within
Wives
The Lives of Jenny Dolan
The Killer Who Wouldn't Die
Law and Order (1976; not to be confused with the 1990-2010 series of the same name produced by Universal Television)

~Ben

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
Remaining seasons of...
Alice
The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Perfect Strangers
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper
Mr. Belvedere
Small Wonder
Mayberry RFD

Complete series of...
Step by Step
Empty Nest
Amen
Major Dad
The Torkelsons

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Mine for this year...

Seasons 2-5 of Love, American Style
Barefoot in the Park (1970 TV series)
Funny Face/The Sandy Duncan Show
Me and the Chimp
Love Story (1973 TV series)
Paper Moon (TV series)
Archer (1975 TV series)
Kate McShane
Serpico (TV series)
Blansky's Beauties
Who's Watching the Kids?
Brothers and Sisters
Makin' It
The Bad News Bears (TV series)
Out of the Blue
Working Stiffs
The Associates (US TV series)
Goodtime Girls
Here's Boomer
Making the Grade
The Powers of Matthew Star
The New Odd Couple
Star of the Family
Madame's Place
The Renegades
Ryan's Four
Mr. Smith (1983 TV series)
Bronx Zoo
Duet/Open House
Marblehead Manor
Dear John

~Ben

Last edited:

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Good news for me--Warner Archives will reportedly release season one of MR. NOVAK in a few months. I'm guessing that the format will be DVD-R, but at least the episodes are being remastered.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
For what it's worth, I emailed Ken Ross with CBS yesterday regarding my favorite show. For anyone else wanting their favorite CBS property out to DVD/Blu, here's his email: [email protected]. Anyway, here's the email I sent, and I hope to hear something from him:

Hi, Mr. Ross. I am possibly the biggest fan of The Beverly Hillbillies around. Tall order, huh? I help moderate a Beverly Hillbillies group on Facebook, Well, Doggies, and I constantly am asked, as are other moderators, if we know what the holdup is on getting seasons 5-9 to DVD. We also get asked a lot about its sister show, Petticoat Junction. Shout! Factory recently gave fans of the Henning shows a gift with the full release of Green Acres, although I know it isn't under the CBS HE umbrella.

Mr. Ross, I guess I am curious myself what the holdup is. We have a show that was quite popular during its first run, even having episodes that ranked at an all time high-"The Giant Jackrabbit," for example, still ranks on the all time most watched list along with "Who Shot J.R." from Dallas and the finale of M*A*S*H. I don't know of a time that Uncle Jed, Granny, Jethro, and Ellie Mae have ever left the airwaves either in first run or in syndicated reruns. Growing up in the 70's and 80's, it was a fixture on several local stations. We aren't talking an obscure show like the 50's version of Dragnet or The Life of Riley here, but we're talking about a show that is still popular to this day, even appearing on various retro networks. Yet where do we stand, Mr. Ross, on getting this beloved show to DVD in its entirety?

I was elated years ago to find S2 was being released unedited. Shortly thereafter we got S3. Man, we're on a roll here! Then a quite disappointing S4 complete with musical edits including "Pretty Woman" being removed from an episode. No cast commercials, no bonus material whatsoever. Then a goldmine with S1 being restored to HD quality along with cast commercials intact and no music replacement. And then? Nothing. The show has been left hanging while other CBS contemporaries such as Gomer Pyle, USMC, The Andy Griffith Show, Hogan's Heroes, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and many others have been given the full series treatment on DVD and sometimes blu-ray. The Californians, a fairly obscure 50's Western, has received the blu-ray treatment even, although it's through your MOD program. I'm not wishing to be nasty or hateful, but what is the holdup on getting one of the most popular series ever finished on DVD?

At the going pace, there are still 5 more seasons to go, which would take about 10 years considering the release schedule the show seems to be on. Me-TV has been advertising that they have new HD masters for the show, so I would venture a guess that the entirety of the show has been remastered, although the Syndication Bible doesn't reflect it. At this point, sir, I don't even care about HD remastering just as long as the shows are the standard 25 minute length and not taken from 80's tape masters that run 22 minutes. Go over to YouTube and see how many views episodes over there are getting and look at comments from people asking when will the rest of the show be released. Unedited episodes haven't even been shown on TV in years for anyone to grab decent recordings of them. The last time I know of unedited episodes being shown was around 1992 when WREG in Memphis was still running 16mm prints of the show, and even then they only had the first 6 seasons, parts of 7, and none of 8 or 9.

Simply put, Mr. Ross, you would be the favorite person of a lot of people if you would fast track the show to completion or license out the unedited masters to a 3rd party such as Shout! Factory. I feel many of us would be willing to purchase it via your manufacture on demand program. Thank you; I would love to hear from you when you have a moment.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I don't think that CBS would ever clear all the music for a release of seasons 4-7 of PJ, but I don't see why they cannot release the last 5 seasons of TBH. It is one of the most popular shows in the history of television and a glaring omission in the DVD landscape!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
My question for Ron is, how many BH episodes did Columbia House release? Did they do the entire run?
Not anywhere close, Neil. I believe there were 30 tapes in the series all total with 3 episodes per tape. In some cases you have episodes back to back to back (the first England trip) and then you'll have random episodes thrown together on a tape with some sort of common theme. I still have 22 of the 30 (gave the 8 away that had episodes already released to DVD), and I believe it works out to 25 or 26 episodes from seasons 5-9 plus "Jethro Goes to College" from S4 with no music edits. I can get a list together of what episodes are what later. I have a crappy VHS copy of an unedited "The Hot Rod Truck" from S7. Recorded in SLP, copied again, and was being shown on a washed out 16mm print, but it's unedited and watchable. I had several other S6 and S7 episodes on VHS-no clue where they went. Oh, and the nice thing about the Columbia House tapes? No copyright protection, so you can transfer straight to a DVD without a problem.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
In the year (plus a couple of months) since my last post, some more of my grails have seen release, namely The Westerner, Coronet Blue, Decoy, The Immortal, Longstreet and (very soon) The Outer Limits (Blu-ray, remastered). Also, Dragnet: 1967 (Season 1) and Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 1 have been announced for imminent re-issue on single-sided disc sets, replacing their former, problematic DVD-18 releases, and I've pre-ordered both (as well as Outer Limits: S1 on Blu). So, times have been pretty good for me in TV-on-DVD/Blu-land.

It'll be interesting to see if domestic releases of any of the following grail shows will see the light of day in the next year or so--

Unreleased in Region 1:

T.H.E. Cat

Terriers

Suspicion

Way Out

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - Region 1 release (though I currently have the Region 2 import)

Panic! (a.k.a. No Warning)

Dragnet (1950s version, official release)

Bus Stop

Amos & Andy

The Space Giants

Wichita Town

Klondike / Acapulco

Blue Light

The Man Who Never Was

The Lineup

Hawk

Shotgun Slade (official release)

Journey to the Unknown (1960s British horror/suspense anthology from Hammer Studios)

Great Ghost Tales

Darkroom - Region 1 release

Captain Nice

Raumpatrouille Orion ("Space Patrol Orion", 1960s German sci-fi series)

World of Giants

G.E. True

Ripley's Believe It or Not (1980s version with Jack Palance)

Q.E.D. (a.k.a. "Mastermind")

12 O'Clock High: Season 1

The Rogues

The Green Hornet

Richard Diamond, Private Detective

Adventures in Paradise

Tightrope

Trackdown

Hoppity Hooper (a.k.a. Uncle Waldo)

The Outcasts

Cliffhangers!

The Champions (1960s ITC series) - Region 1/Region Free release

The National Geographic Specials (1960s and early 1970s episodes)

The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau

When Havoc Struck

Diana

77 Sunset Strip

TV-Movies:

Spectre (1977)

The Savage Bees (1976)

Birds of Prey (1973)

Stalled/Abandoned:

The Jack Benny Program (remaining unreleased)

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 7 - Region 1 release (I currently have the Region 2 import)

One Step Beyond (official CBS/Paramount release): Seasons 2 & 3

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (remaining unreleased)

Saturday Night Live: Seasons 10 (Crystal, Guest, Shearer, etc) & 12 (Carvey, Hartman, Lovitz, etc)

SCTV (remaining unreleased)

Zane Grey Theatre: Seasons 4 & 5

Beany & Cecil (remaining unreleased)

Zatoichi: Seasons 2-4

Password (1960s version, remaining unreleased)

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (remaining unreleased 1960s/early 1970s episodes)

This Is Your Life (another set, with the Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Joel McCrea, Nat King Cole, Maureen O'Hara, Ida Lupino, Carolyn Jones and Ann-Margret episodes included)

Burke's Law / Amos Burke: Secret Agent

DVD upgrade:

M Squad (remastered from studio materials)

Blu-ray upgrade:

The Avengers Season 4 (Emma Peel in B&W) - Region A release

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bus Stop
Many Happy Returns
The Tycoon
The Don Rickles Show (sitcom)
The Little People
90 Bristol Court

Then there are a bunch of series where I have some or most of the episodes but I'd love to complete the series or get upgrades:
Nancy, Temperatures Rising, Love on a Rooftop, The Jean Arthur Show, Pistols 'n' Petticoats, Run Buddy Run, Blondie (1968), Adam's Rib, Accidental Family, Mr. Roberts, Second Hundred Years, Paul Lynde Show, Hey Landlord, The Great Adventure, Trials of O'Brien, Mr. Novak, The Outsider, The Good Life, To Rome With Love, The Smith Family, No Time For Sergeants, Double Life of Henry Phyfe, The Good Guys, Make Room for Granddaddy, Governor & JJ, Medical Story. However, if none of these ever saw availability in some form or another, I could live with what episodes of them that I have.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
updated

The Pruitt's Of Southampton/ The Phyllis Diller Show
1966-67
The Paul Lynde Show 1972-73
Oh Madeline 1983-84
The Thin Man 1957-59
Blondie 1968-69
Blondie 1957
Harper Valley 1981-82
Gloria 1982-83
Cher 1975
Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour 1971-74/Sonny & Cher Show 1976-77 -complete series
Valerie/Valerie's Family/Hogan Family 1986-91
Phyllis 1975-77
Tab Hunter Show 1960-61
Strange Paradise 1969-70
All That Glitters 1977
Cliffhangers! 1979
Topper 1953-55
Surfside Six 1960-62
Burke's Law 1994-95
A Year In The Life 1987
Diana 1973-74
Fresno miniseries 1986
Malibu miniseries 1983
Shirley 1979-80
Peaceable Kingdom 1989
5 Mrs Buchanans 1994-95
Maybe Its Me 2001-02
Life with Lucy 1986
Nutt House 1989
Jesse 1998-2000
Less Than Kind 2008-2013

Unfinished:
Family
Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Once And Again
My Three Sons
Knots Landing
Falcon Crest
Life Goes On
Mister Peepers
SCTV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks