What's new

What's left for Warners to release? (1 Viewer)

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
I know this sounds selfish but what is it left for Warner to release so they can start focus on Davis, Garbo, Harlow,Crawford & Shearer. I relly don't care about MGM musicals and B movie noirs with Robet Mitchum ect

I know that Harlow is on the way, and Crawford & Davis next year. Shearer will be in "Forbidden set" and Garbo...well no word on her. What buggs me is the wait. I Know it takes time to restore & remaster but I relly don't want to spend 40 dollars och a crappy VHS when I know I can get a DVD with better quality and cheaper price. They also only release 5 movies in a set, and then we have to wait 2 years(3 years with Crawford) for more.
I think Warners should focus on STARS insted of B Noirs & campy cult classics.
So what is left for them to release exept those things that we know are comming( things that's been mentiond in HTF Chat this year)

SORRY FOR MY SELFISHNES!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I spoke with Hurrell protege/Garbo biographer Mark Vieira at an event held at one of Harlow's old homes in Beverly Hills last week to celebrate the 70th anniversary of her passing, and he told me that he's surprised that WHV hadn't released all of Harlow's films years ago. I believe Mark also did the commentary for "The Temptress" in the archive collection for Garbo and contributed to the Kevin Brownlow documentary included in the first Garbo boxset.

As far as Liz goes......

I'm waiting for that 50th anniversary edition of Raintree County. Hopefully, WHV will also give it a simultaneous HD release as well.

I would not be interested in seeing any more Harlow films in forbidden sets, but feel they should be reserved for her boxset (perhaps Riff Raff could go in a Spencer Tracy collection). Some films such as Bombshell, Red Dust & Girl from Missouri are signature Harlow titles and shouldn't be in any other boxset but hers. I also feel that WHV should consider doing a Shearer boxset instead of lumping her titles in with other collections. She may not be widely known among today's young people, but I still feel that she's popular enough among film fans to warrant a collection, imho.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Sheesh, I'm still waiting for "High Road to China." Outside of some rather obscure conspiracy theories regarding Tom Selleck, I really can't imagine what's holding this up. :rolleyes

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

Apparently you missed the big announcement this morning!

Reggie...I'd consider purchasing an HD-DVD player for an HD Raintree County!

Andy

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm waiting for several 80s titles:

-"URGH! A Music War"
-"Killer Party"
-The Director's Cut of "9 1/2 Weeks"
-The Daryl Hannah movie "Reckless"
-"Blue Skies Again"
-"Personal Best"
-"Made In Heaven"
-"Impulse" (The Theresa Russell movie...Although released to theaters in 1990, it has a 1989 copyright date).

I'm also waiting for anamorphic re-issues of "Arthur", "Action Jackson", "Stealing Home" and "Sharky's Machine" (Boy, there's a group of movies).

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I would've included "Electric Dreams", but in the most recent chat, Warner said that they no longer own the rights to it.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly

I'm still waiting for that!

I'm also waiting for a Ginger Rogers set.

No offensive but at least Joan Crawford, Davis and Garbo have sets. I'm still waiting for the following stars and more! And the fact that they get volume 2 and 3s before other stars is even more annoying!

I feel bad for the Harlow fans. They keep waiting for the set but there's no news on it.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
In Warners chat in February, they said a Natalie Wood set was being released in 2008.

As opposed to Junior, I love 'B' noirs with Robert Mitchum! More please :D

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm more of an "auteurist" kind of guy rather than gaga over movie stars. So I'm more interested in directors and their films than box sets of actresses. Which is NOT to say there aren't actors I like and whose careers I follow.

Warners has tons of stuff still unreleased from their Warners, MGM and RKO library that have me salivating at the thought of their eventual release. I think Warners is doing a splendid job of trying to keep everybody happy but we have to realize, they ARE a business and at the end of the quarter need to show a profit. Like it or not, they're more than likely to realize this on something like Gymkata than a Norma Shearer box set.

Claude North

Second Unit

I don't think that Warners would dare to release a Natalie Wood box set that doesn't include INSIDE DAISY CLOVER. (lol) Count me among the many anxiously awaiting this release.

I'm also looking forward to the eventual release of the two DARK SHADOWS films (HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS). According to the chat, they were planned for this year, but according to ShadowGram (a DS current events newsletter), the films have been pushed back until 2008. This bodes well for the possibility of the restored director's cut of NODS being released.

I agree that Warners is doing its best to please as many people as possible. After all, they can't release everything at once, and it's fun to have titles to look forward to.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I felt the same way during the long wait for the Esther Williams set of films, I thought they would never be released. Now I too am eagerly awaiting sets for Harlow and Shearer, both ladies are just ripe for re-discovery and the wait for their classic films has been so long.

But there is still so much for Warners to release. Other than a few Garbo films, virtually their entire silent catalog remains unreleased. And in regard to the "Camp" and "Film Noir" sets, I like these theme sets, we get a lot more releases that just do not fit into the standard "Star" package.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I am actually more concerned about Shearer, though I'm a bigger fan of Harlow. We already know that WHV has confirmed that a Harlow set is coming- eventually, but they have never said there would be one for Shearer, only that some of her films would be restored and included in other sets. Perhaps the Harlow set will surface in the 4th quarter, but this would be surprising since they usually limit this quarter for their big guns. I feel that if the Harlow set doesn't appear in the Fall, it probably won't show up in 2007.

The Silents - WHV will eventually place their efforts towards these films, but I feel it won't be until they've released most of the classic sound films. I think we'll get some heavy hitters first like "The Jazz Singer," which'll probably provide a litmus test to show how WHV will go about marketing silent films.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The Films of Ken Russell

The DEVILS
The Boy Friend
The Music Lovers
Listomania (Though this is is quite bad and I wouldn't purchase it - but if it came in a box set - oh well)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I LOVE surprises so every announcement makes my heart skip a beat with glee! :)

Looking forward to Harlow too, also Burt Lancaster and Sinatra (both of which were mentioned in Warner chats of past 2 years I believe), Bette Davis vol. 3, more Film Noir and pre-codes and of course any musicals including the wonderfully surprising Eleanor Powell set. This year's chat also referred to a new Cary Grant set that I would buy right now if I could. ;) And any wonderful surprise they have in store for us!!!!!

I've made a list of over 200 titles I would love to see from Warner so if they can keep them coming, I will keep on buying! :)

A few of my most wanted titles:
Waterloo Bridge (40)
Three Comrades (38)
The Voice of the Turtle (47)
Holiday Affair (49)
The Constant Nymph (43, if the rights issue can ever be cleared)
The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34)
.............basically romantic dramas and comedies. That's what I miss most.

I could not be happier with their choices for this year so far!!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of films from the 60s that have yet to be released from the WB and MGM vaults. On the top of my list:

You're A Big Boy Now
Last Summer
Sweet November
- the original with Sandy Dennis
The Power
The Rain People
Period of Adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks