What's new

What's Latest... To live and die in LA ?? (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Anyone know what the latest news is regarding To Live and Die in L.A. on DVD? Haven't heard anything much on this title.
Any news appreciated,
Troy

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I think they are working on it, I'm desperate for this title :) Maybe we'll see it late this year...?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Do any of you "insiders" have any fresh info on this title? I'd sure like to strike this off my most wanted list.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Hey Thanks Jeff for waking this thread back up. Sure wish we could get some kind of news regarding this title.

I too would like to take the title off my list.

This was a cool movie and Willem Dafoe was one bad dude in this one!

If anyone has any news, please chime in.

Later
Troy

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased the VHS copy for $10.00 and converted it to DVD-R with excellent results when your consider the source material. The Samsung recorder I used has special filters that clean up the video making it much improved when compared to the source VHS copy. The audio rocks.

The aspect ratio for TL&DILA in 1:85 x 1 so it was cropped for converting to VHS, not pan'n scanned. This makes a big difference as the movie looks natural without vital parts missing as happens when 2:35 x 1 is converted to 4 x 3. Anyways what I have will do for now when they finally release this title on DVD I will buy the commercial product.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I haven't seen To Live and Die in LA in years, but I'm very curious about seeing it again.
Just out of curiosity, what studio owns it now? If I remember correctly, MGM had theatrical distribution, yet the video rights were by another studio.
The aspect ratio for TL&DILA in 1:85 x 1 so it was cropped for converting to VHS, not pan'n scanned.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Was the VHS version widescreen or did you crop it yourself using the DVD software?
Or if you mean that the full frame version of "To Live..." is "open matte", that is incorrect. This is a common misconception with 1.85:1, as 1.85:1 is also heavily reframed and modified to a pan-and-scan version of a film, and not a simple exposure of the full negative.
Jason

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I definitely want to get a hold of this one - William Peterson, Willem Dafoe, and one of the greatest car chases ever filmed.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
William Friedkin recorded a director's commentary for TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA early this year. I have no idea what's holding up the DVD.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Yes give us the following:

16x9 from HiDef transfer
5.1 remixed soundtrack
Director's commentary
Deleted Scenes
Documentary w/ new interviews

Pete L

Agent
Just out of curiosity, what studio owns it now? If I remember correctly, MGM had theatrical distribution, yet the video rights were by another studio.
My old VHS copy was Vestron, and my understanding is that Artisan acquired much of Vestron's catalog.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little concerned about what Artisan might do (or not do) with this title on DVD.
Then, too, perhaps it'll be released by MGM. Hope we find out soon.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I believe it will be an MGM release. To Live And Die in L.A. was screened at San Francisco's Roxy a few years ago in a newly struck print. The Roxy prints up real nice, color film schedules each season and under the entry for TLaDiLA, it says something like, "After the surprise success of last year's screening, MGM has struck a new print especially for this event." I think Friedkin was scheduled to appear at the screening, but then cancelled.
S.F. has been the site of several Friedkin revivals and local critics and audiences there have been instrumental in re-evaluating some of his previously maligned films like TLaDiLA and Cruising. Now I really want to see the rumored, much longer director's cut of that truly misunderstood film. Cruising showed in S.F. in a new print, six or seven years ago, and received excellent reviews and great box office, a significant turnaround from the initial backlash it spawned over twenty years ago. MGM has seen the success of these repertory screenings. I hope Warner will follow suit.
Got The French Connection. I need the aformentioned titles to complete my Friedkin fix (as well as a widescreen Sorcerer )
Jon

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see a director's cut of Cruising as well. I heard it really suffered from the cuts they had to make.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I know this film is an older title before the days of 5.1, a DTS track may be in order, albeit not as good as a modern DTS track but if Artisan gets the rights to it's DVD release, we may get a DTS track on this title since Artisan supports DTS. Let's Hope!
:)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I want to get this on DVD, with all the features suggested, and also:

I would like to have some info about the movie's music. Wang Chung (yes, the guys who did "Everybody Have Fun Tonight") composed an excellent score for the movie, as well as provided an excellent theme. I'd like a featurette on the music, and if there were any music videos made for songs from the soundtrack, include those also.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

With every word that you say, I feel my freedom slip away.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure MGM will have the rights. God, if it's Artisan, they'll probably jack us with a full-frame transfer based on their treatment of their other 1.85:1 catalog reissues.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Here's a quote from moviehole.com from Friedkin (during an interview about The Hunted)

I finished a DVD of “To live and Die in L.A” about three months ago – It’s a pristine beautiful copy and I did re-did the soundtrack – remixed it – so it’s now in digital stereo – it was originally in mono all track – and so we mixed it differently and we timed the picture in a way that I could never get a print.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks