What's new

What's It Worth To You? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The recent posts in the thread for the exclusive release of the Egyptian Bd got me thinking, If Twilight Time can license a title from one of the big studios, and put it out in a limited edition of 3000 units at $40 per, and turn a profit on it, then there is hope that other films that lack mass appeal can make it out as well. So as an adjunct to Ron's recent thread asking for your want-lists based on studio- I'm asking what your want lists are based on buy-in cost. I.e. just how badly do you want those movies that you want? So since Twilight Times release is the model for this, here's the game: name 5 titles from any studios you would absolutely be willing to purchase for $40 each. These would be limited to 3000 units or less, would all be first class a/v presentations with basic extras limited to an isolated score/ trailer/ or less. And no fudging on that last point- all you can get are basic, near bare bones releases- but with exceptional A/V quality as the source allows. And limited enough in quantity, that you can't afford to fence sit waiting for a bargain which will never come. And for people, like me, who still remember what it was like to collect Laserdiscs, the buy-in price is an even slightly heftier $50 (which sadly is still a bargain compared to the rate of inflation since that era). Again, this thread is dedicated to seeing just how bad you want it. Here's mine 1) Jean de Florette/ Manon Des Sources w/ English subs (I consider it one collection, but I would still likely pay $50 for each film under the circumstances...especially if it were a strictly limited edition) 2) Prophecy - I know this will never get a release, and I can't explain my love for this goofy film- but seeing it in HD on my screen would be a rare joy that would easily be worth the buy-in to me. 3) Love With The Proper Stranger- I've waited so long for even a standard def release of this, a limited edition HD release would be worth the premium to finally be scratch this itch 4) The Wind- This become a very treasured Ld back in the day for me, and the wait for Warner to get this out on sd has been extremely disheartening. They alluded to it years ago and it's still nowhere on the horizon. Assuming the end result could look exceptional with some digital restoration work done if needed, I would pony up the cash for this one. 5) Goldengirl- for one thing, I've seen the film and, yes, I do like it quite a bit. It also has a lot of nostalgic appeal for me, and I like LWTPS it still hasn't seen even a sd release. Honestly, I could go on all day. $20 may be a sticking point for DVD-Rs for me, but $50 for a pressed Bd release is much less of a problem. I would love to just at least have the chance to buy so many titles that I realize will never, ever see the light of day on this format- unless a new viable business model can come into play. I would happily, fundamentally, alter my buying habits, foregoing cheaper causal purchases, to fund a few less, more expensive but more highly valued ones. Maybe after The Egyptian, this isn't as far fetched as it seems?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'd drop $100 if I could get a full length version of "Until the End of the World" in Bluray. Maybe more.

I'd easily spend $40/$50 on Little Shop of Horrors restored with alternate ending in place as an extra

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I will try to avoid duplicating my titles from the studio thread, and stick to titles that have less of a chance of being released (I believe.) For me this list is basically a variation on the obscure film's threads that exist from time to time on the HTF. Titles that I (as a former LD collector) would gladly pay $50.00 for include: Colossus: The Forbin Project - Still miffed about the 1.33:1 DVD release. Bedazzled (1967) - Happy to have the SD DVD release but this is a favorite that I'd love to see in HD. Je vous salue, mafia! aka Hail, Mafia - I have to confess that I've never seen this film, but have read of it in several books dealing with world cinema and I've always been intrigued by descriptions of the plot, style, cinematography, and soundtrack. A true blind buy that I would not hesitate to purchase. Inferno (1953) - Still fondly remember viewing this on cable at a friend's house almost 30 years ago. Still wish it would get a release on home video. Great performance by Robert Ryan in this one. I've always been a fan of survival films and I would gladly pay for the chance to re-experience this title. Finally a made for television film that I'd love to see again. Tribes - I recall seeing this during its original broadcast and liking everything about the film, especially the battle of wills between Darren McGavin and Jan Michael Vincent's characters. Solid performances from both actors. Once again a film that I'd really love to re-experience. - Walter.

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
The one film that sprang straight to mind for me is Don Siegel's Invasion of the Body Snatchers. One of my all-time favourite movies, the current ropey old Republic DVD is from 1998, and there is no sign of a BD release anywhere on the horizon. I'd gladly pay $40 to see this classic in HD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I see what you're going for Paul but isn't this just another, "what I wish was on blu ray" topic?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think he's thrown a new wrinkle into the topic. "Hey studios, we're willing to pay big bucks for these movies!" So I think it's a valid difference. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd pay $40 or $50 for any movie. I wasn't a laser disc owner, I didn't jump on the bandwagon immediately for DVDs or HD, instead waiting for prices to be reasonable. Still, if I were to walk by a display for 3D blu rays of Creature from the Black Lagoon, It Came from Outer Space, or Dial M for Murder, I know it would stop me in my tracks. However, at that price, before I'd reach for my wallet, I'd want these discs to at least have the extras that currently exist (for Creature and Space anyway). Even then, I'm not sure I could do it. I'm part of the "money is tight" crowd. You know, the crowd that's gotten a lot bigger lately.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the concept is very different. "Not on bluray" generally talks about a mass release, a remaster, etc. A lot of us are saying here: I will pay a price premium for a release that I know will have limited sales because I want it in HD...

I think that's the one thing that is missing. I paid $129 for my Toy Story 1 Laserdisc CAV Box Set from Ken Cranes. So, would I be willing to spend money on the right title? Yep.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think I paid $75 for The Empire Strikes Back laserdisc in 1991. I'd pay that much for it and Star Wars in its original, unenhanced, un-DNR'd form on blu-ray.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok I'm in with the spirit of it, I just half expect the usual type of posts that offer up nothing special. I would pay a premium for a few. The Abyss extended version To start.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I found another title I paid a real premium for I'd do again: Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy

If this came out in Bluray, I'd pay a premium for it.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
The Thing. The original 1951 version. This has been my all time favorite sci-fi film since I first saw it as a kid in the late fifties. The Uninvited. 1944 Ray Milland. Same as above but ghost story instead of sci-fi. To Have And Have Not and Key Largo. Two of my favorite four Bogart films (Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon are the other two, which I of course already own on Blu).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In the laserdisc days, it was rather routine to spend $40 or more on a film that one really wanted in widescreen (and sometimes with no extras in the package). Sure, we paid really premium prices for something like THE ULTIMATE OZ or the CAV box of FANTASIA or for Criterion's releases, but if you wanted what was then the very best quality available for a cherished film, one found the money and gladly paid it.

Did I gulp hard when my Paypal for $44 rang up for The Egyptian on Blu-ray. You bet I did, but I was afraid I'd never get it in that high quality any other way, and I was determined to have it.

Sometimes, sacrifices just HAVE to be made.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I think this is a great idea, because the studios seem to all be hung up on volume that they don't understand collector's pay a premium for things that they really want. There are many titles that I would be willing to pay a premium for. I paid a fortune for several laseridiscs ($200-$300). 1. The Quiet Man (Give me a Blu-Ray of this from the latest restoration and I would gladly pay $50....include some nice extras and the price goes up from there!) 2. Tex Avery Cartoon collection (I keep my laserdisc player around primarily for this set and I would gladly pay $100 and up for a re-mastered Blu-Ray) 3. All remaining Billy Wilder Films (Five Graves to Cairo, A Foreign Affair, & Buddy Buddy)...Fedora is supposedly coming out soon. I would pay $40 for each of these adn $50+ for extras. 4. MGM Silents (Greed, The Wind, The Big Parade, The Crowd, etc...) Provide these all in a nice set and I would happily pay $150-$200 if presented properly.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Okay, I'll play. VERTIGO, with the original mono soundtrack. This is probably coming from Universal at some point, but I have a feeling they'll f**k it up somehow. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE. INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956). The existing DVD is crap. THE OUTER LIMITS (1963-65). Okay, this isn't a movie, but this my TV-on-DVD holy grail. BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF. Isolated Bernard Herrmann score, please!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If these were only released by Twilight Time at $40 a pop, I'd just have to buy this little lot - They would all be remastered & look stonking: She Wore A Yellow Ribbon The Quiet Man - every transfer I've seen of this in the last 10-20 years has looked beyond dire. Beneath The 12-Mile Reef The Last Valley One-Eyed Jacks The Curse Of Frankenstein The Horror Of Dracula The Vikings Helen Of Troy Land Of The Pharaohs

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I might have $40 to spend on a box-set now and then. I just might. But I don't have $40 to spend on a single DVD. Forget it. No matter how badly I want it. No way. Out of the question.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Here's the thing: Twilight Time is actually a Fox label. Personally, I think that the idea of paying a premium for obscure titles in a limited edition is nothing new, but it might boost the studios' bottom lines in their digital media sales, if only temporarily. At best, it's a band-aid solution.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess that answers that. Apart from only a few of us, not many people on this forum (which I've always taken as skewing to an older, more passionate film buff crowd) would seem to value any film high enough to pay a premium for it. I Don't know if I got the concept across as well as possible, but the key distinction I was trying to emphasize is the price is based on exclusivity. A limited number of units. There is a huge difference between something like an MOD DVD which can be reproduced endlessly, and something that has a fixed and finite supply.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Paul_Scott said:
the key distinction I was trying to emphasize is the price is based on exclusivity. A limited number of units. There is a huge difference between something like an MOD DVD which can be reproduced endlessly, and something that has a fixed and finite supply.
Does the fact there are only a few of the discs pressed make it more valuable to you? Pressing fewer discs doesn't make the movie better or worse.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Paul_Scott said:
Well, I guess that answers that. Apart from only a few of us, not many people on this forum (which I've always taken as skewing to an older, more passionate film buff crowd) would seem to value any film high enough to pay a premium for it. I Don't know if I got the concept across as well as possible, but the key distinction I was trying to emphasize is the price is based on exclusivity. A limited number of units. There is a huge difference between something like an MOD DVD which can be reproduced endlessly, and something that has a fixed and finite supply.
I'm guessing threre may be more people here that care about old movies and would pay big bucks for them,, but maybe they consider a waste of time to write this 5 movie list. They know nobody with power will actually listen to this, or maybe they can't choose just 5 movies... If you wanted to know how many people like you are, you should just get your hands on the numbers for "The egyptian". I figure a big percentage of buyer's of this release (me included) would do the same for a number of other movies. So there you have it. Last I heard from a trustworthy source, they had sold close to 1500 units. Some people bought 2 units and others bought for profit (later sell on ebay), but still that figure shoul tell you something. No need to get discouraged about the lack of answers in this thread. Whether selling 1500 units is enough for TT to make a profit and encourage more releases is another story though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks