What's new

What's it Called? (1 Viewer)

rob-h

Second Unit
Actually I agree with you on all but a few points. The xbox was never intended to compete in anything but the console market from the begining. Media Center was concived as a way to break into the PVR market. At first it was primarily TIVO that they seen as competition. HTPC's became popular and the extenders that are made by 30 diffrent companys popped up to give users a QUIET way to enjoy these. MS decided to compete here by using the media extender for xbox and licensed this to Linksys as well. Xbox 360 was origninally planned to have a version that was a completely self contained HTPC. They backed off that idea because of price. We may still see this variant though. My point is that WebTV and CDI had zero to do with why they broke into the console market and why thier plans evolved for 360.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
I see what you're saying Rob. I guess I'm looking at too large a picture there.

I put myself in Gate's shoes in the mid 90s, looking at what he had then and where he thought things were going.

I'm certain no decision he made then had any direct impact on what they're doing with 360 today. I'm just making a generalization.

Thanks for the insights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks