What's It All Really Worth?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jeez, I’m beginning to think we’re blinded by the prices of home electronics because, well, isn’t that just the market? I mean, the markup seems to be huge.

Of course, this observation is based on the MSRP system, which everybody “knows” is unrealistic, right? (sarcasm)

I see a surge protector that lists at $199 online at $145, about 25% markdown. And don’t employees at big chain stores relate they get 60% off!

What sparks my rant is I just bought a new Fridgidaire Gallery gas range/electronic controlled electric oven – a wonderful cook’s stove – for $1475 (just about MSRP) but to me the value in this big piece of equipment is stunning. It cost another $350 for a licensed contractor to add a gas line into my kitchen and install the unit.

Then I think that the total cost is equivalent to a Rotel 1066 and wonder: what’s it all really worth?

2. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

In this country, a thing is worth what a willing buyer can negotiate with a willing seller.

3. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Isn't capitalism great? Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. If nobody is willing to pay the price, then the price usually goes down. If a bunch of people are willing to pay the price, then it usually goes up.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

...I dont expect much response to my philosophical musings over "value" and I'm a lot cooler now...

Peter, they are both material "things" and I mean no literal comparision; this cud veer off into "what's a hobby worth to you" to "what's a really needed" item, indeed apples and oranges.

I guess I'm saying that maybe our electronic gear is way overpriced if wholesale is nearly half of market retail. As Denward notes, we seem willing to pay for it.

6. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

you should see the markup on cables

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Bill, I know you didn't mean a literal comparison. I was making a rather poor joke; sorry about that.

To get back to your original post, we need a kitchen expert to chime in and let us know what the markup is on these high-end appliances. I'll bet anywhere from 40-50%.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

9. Jason Wilcox

i work at best buy and take full advantage of my discount....

it's just sick on car audio and accessories like cables.

10. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

What is the discount? Most places I know it's 20%.

11. Jason Wilcox

on the car audio and cables it can be anything from 30%-70%

12. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

ackkk!
    Peter has just given me a "D'Oh" revelation, that I was just as likely to eat a similar "high-end appliance" mark-up as with any similar range of electronic gear[​IMG]
    Buyer's remorse: I agreed on the offered price on the stove BEFORE I went online to the maker's website for its MSRP. I let it ride. But as we say here, my new stainless steel stove is a "Bad Boy."

13. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Bill-

I used to sell appliances while in college 8-9 years ago. I would imagine that you paid about 30% over dealer cost, which isn't a bad deal.

Did you buy anything else (fridge, dishwasher, etc.)? If so, you probably were entitled to ask for a better price. If not, you probably were stuck at the "sticker" price. If you like the stove, that's all that matters.

I just moved into a new house last year, and I bought my appliances at 12% over cost. I'm still pretty good friends with the owner of the store that I used to work at. He gave them to me at the employee purchase rate.

14. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

15. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Are there any sources to find out dealer cost?