Whats is the best way to...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisBU, Jul 20, 2004.

1. ChrisBU

ChrisBU Auditioning

I recieved a hometheater system for Christmas and I didn't know I needed a reciever. It came with 5 speakers and a subwoofer which has for inputs for speaker wire 2 that say "to amplifer" and 2 that say "to speakers". I had an older subwoofer which is acting as sort of a reciever because I wired from "to reciever" to the "front speaker" inputs on the old subwoofer. So I have the front speakers into the "to speakers" on the new subwoofer, and the rear speakers in the "rear speaker" into the old subwoofer. I also have a Bose Wave radio that I have hooked up to it to with A/V cables because the old subwoofer had a sort of headphone jack from it then A/v that hooked up to the DVD/TV ect. so I have the old subwoofer to the radio and the radio to the DVD player and they all play at the same time. It sound's ok but i was wondering if there is a better way? I know I can't get 5.1 but any suggestions would help.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think I understand what you are saying, and it sounds like you have hooked it up more or less correct for what you have, but the best thing for you to do is to just get a receiver. Not much more you can do with what you have right now.

If you look on the used market, or possibly refurb, you should be able to find something decent for very little $$. I picked up a very nice used Marantz SR5000 receiver for just $200.

3. Frank.Ch

Frank.Ch Agent

Wow, a used Marantz SR5000 for only $2000!! They were like $2000 5 years ago, right?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No, when they were new, they were around $700 MSRP. It was still a great deal, so I jumped on it. This one was practically in brand new shape, only ever used as a preamp in the seller's setup. Nothing else on the market for $200 will sound as good, I guarantee that.