What's new

What’s in your toolbox? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As I’ve recovered from my flooding I’ve upgraded a few of my tools and settled on getting mostly matched set of Milwaukee tools. These are expensive but I believe they will outlive me and be passed down to my heirs unlike the sub $20 entry level junk I’ve used and cursed every time I had to dig them out.

First, I am never going to have to go searching for a damn socket ever again. Full set 3/8” and 1/2” standard and deep sockets no skips. Both Metric and SAE.

51C4D747-D5DD-408E-82BA-EDE4B362E46E.jpeg

Plus now everything is organized better based on the Milwaukee Packout System. It’s also expensive but wasn’t too bad on the Holiday promo pricing.

82C526A0-51C5-4DCC-9814-1A2305315117.jpeg

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think I’m going to get something like this to organize my drill and driver set:

Edit: ordered the $109 organizer. I’m going to shuffle my whole garage to make the F150 fit. Will make a whole new tool bench section. Excited for that

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have just the essentials in a pretty good size sturdy tool bag-- starting with my favorite channellock groove pliers (always my "go to" tool) in two sizes. Mini bolt cutter, all screwdrivers, hammer, small socket set which I need to upgrade, tape measure (30') chisel/pry bar small, level, stud finder, and assorted nails, screws bolts, and nuts.

Bosch 18V drill.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have a fairly large SAE/Metric socket set (with the most common adapters/attachments), a set of the most common SAE/Metric open end/closed end wrenches, a set of screwdrivers (phillips/slot/torx) in the most common sizes, a 6 piece jeweler's screwdriver set, two sizes of "monkey wrench," 2 sizes of vice grips, a pipe wrench, several types of pliers in 2-3 sizes (needle nose, regular, adjustable, etc.), small & med. claw hammers, med. ball hammer, 12' hacksaw, mini hacksaw, a SAE/Metric Allen wrench set, heavy duty 1/2" electric drill (and bits), soldering gun (not an iron - a trigger gun w/2 heat settings), 2 diagonal cutters (aka dikes), several sizes of chisels, several sizes of putty tools, wire strippers, crimping tool, RJ45/CAT5 crimping tool, 50' tape measure, small crow bar, caulk gun, and a few other odds/ends.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have a very large collection of Milwaukee power tools from the M18 FUEL Line, Everything from drills, drivers, oscillating tools , finish nailers, framing nailers, chainsaw, sawzall, weedwacker, grinders, miter saw, circular saw, jigsaw....

Love it all - quality stuff that just keeps going.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have a very large collection of Milwaukee power tools from the M18 FUEL Line, Everything from drills, drivers, oscillating tools , finish nailers, framing nailers, chainsaw, sawzall, weedwacker, grinders, miter saw, circular saw, jigsaw....

Love it all - quality stuff that just keeps going.
I noticed at the Milwaukee website they are coming out with a lawn mower https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Search/2823-22HD in the M18 line. Last spring I bought an Ego battery powered lawnmower that I am very happy with but this is conflicting....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They have one finger unlocks. You unlock with one hand and pull the chest with the other. They are designed for transport and use so yes you have to install them at the site when you arrive. It might not make sense for most DIY homeowners the way l it does actual professionals but I they’ve been super useful helping me get organized when I don’t have a real bench space to work from

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Any reason to spend extra on the comfort grips?
I have the vanilla 8”, and the grips have been just fine (comfortable). Of course all my projects have been pretty short. Maybe if you are using the cutters at maximum for an extended time the comfort grips might be better for your hands.

Edit: I'm not sure what is going on with the pricing at Amazon, but $48 seems extremely high. I know they are very good quality tools, but I paid slightly over $20 for mine a couple years ago at Menards.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Found the packout table top in stock at a Home Depot. Was waffling on ordering it cheaper on eBay but just went and bought it. Now to figure out if I need a size adaptor for my small vice or just drill new holes

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
After a couple of noobie mistake false starts I finally got my “free” vise mounted. If I would do it again I’d drill from the outside facing plane down. Whoops. Couple splinters worth of damage but nobody will notice it but me. Think it’s finally time to take the tags off :)
3393135C-4172-40C7-8577-C4C74855848F.jpeg

I had to dremel out a little bit of the underlying plastic too because the bolt heads were hitting the lip. Whoops. Easy peasy tho and still structurally sound

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I can’t help but think a standard rolling tool chest is not only cheaper, but just all around better. What’s the advantage of the pack out kits vs a <$200 rolling tool chest?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In a word: customizability

Plus you can pick and choose which sub-components go with you to each job.

This isn’t going to be a win for homeowners and DIYers as much as it is pros, but there is a sizeable subset of us prosumers who will really dive in to the system. More so as they start filling out wall mounts and other shop oriented parts more so than the portable that has been the guiding light so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks