What's in a Name?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew W, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Why is it that two of the largest concrete boom truck companies in America have really stupid names?

Schwing

Putzmeister

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  3. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

What about The Erection Company, a construction company in Seattle whose slogan is, "We always get it up."

I also remember training a newbie when I was working at an answering service, and the controversy that ensued with the call the newbie took from "Bullshit Inc."

No kidding, that was actually a real company! We were laughing pretty hard at this, and the CEO of the answering service, who was also doing a stint as office manager came over to find out what was so funny. I had listened in on the call, and the newbie had asked the caller several times to repeat the company name, to make sure she had it right. The CEO paled, because we were not being wiseacres, but she didn't want us to use such "strong language" on a message to the customer we were taking the message for, so we had to compromise, and listed the company name as B.S. Inc.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The Erection Company - that's pretty ballsy, out there and in your face. [​IMG]

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

There's an alcohol distributor near my workplace called "Drink Unlimited Inc." - abbreviated: D.U.I.

6. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

7. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Until recently, the Texas Department on Aging (state agency that helps old folks) called themselves the DOA. I guess they were preparing their clients for the inevitable.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Faced with the need to patch up our aging facilities, the executive leaders of my agency put together the Building Rennovation Action Team or BRAT. Given the amount of childish squabbling over the amount of space assigned to different departments, private offices vs. cubicles, windows, etc., I consider the name an inspired and wholly appropriate choice. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

9. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I were in Jo-Ann's Fabric yesterday, and she walked up to me laughing, with a phallic shaped package in her hands with the brand name "Stiffy" on it. I'm not sure what the product actually was.

Then there is the ever popular Massachusetts liquor store, "Bunghole Liquors".

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer