What's in a name? XBL Gamertag origins...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I find it interesting why people pick specific e-mail addresses and, more recently, Xbox Live gamertags. The Xbox Live website had some interesting examples, my favorite being a tag "Spiral Wheat", which is the result of a spell check on that person's real name. What is the origin of your online tag?
    Mine (Metropolis) references what many fans will agree is the signature song of progressive rock band Dream Theater from their incredible CD Images and Words.
    I've seem some really bizarre ones out there, also those that are more obvious. So what's your story?
    [​IMG]

2. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Mine is after my favortie NES game of all time, Solstice. I usually had a bitch of a time trying to get it so I altered my nick to be Solitice and it has stuck with me ever since. The long version of it is Solitice Equinox.

Dean

3. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Well I've always used Amisar for my main character name for all RPGs since the pen & paper D&D days.

If you're around my age (32), think back to saturday morning television. Amisare Waswere from the Kingdom of ToBe....

Am - Is - Are - Was - Were - To - Be :wink:

You know, one of those educational shows. Of course I just changed the letters a bit to come up with Amisar Wuzwyre.
    In rpg's that character was always a Paladin.

Used it for Xbox Live because "The_Target" was taken, which has always been my PC FPS name, stemmed from the fact that I sucked when I first got into shooters!

So if you play any Battlefield 1942... look out for The_Target--{A}-- , I play on our clan server named --{A}--narchists Clan, and if yer any good, we're recruiting...

4. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

I've chosen WetWork because WETWORKS was one of my favorite Image comic books. in addition, I beleive it also refers to the type of covert assignments where it becomes required to kill someone (perhaps blood spills, hence wet-work). FPS being my favorite genre, it suits me well.

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I doubt my tag needs much explanation, but Poison Jam is the name of a rival gang in Jet Set Radio Future. In fact, my fantasy football team names are Poison Jam, Zero Beat, and Noise Tanks (all rival gangs). Guess you can tell I'm a big fan. [​IMG]
    Get up to get down!

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

gigapower

It was the largest cartridge size made by SNK for their Neo Geo AVS/MVS units. I'm a big fan of SNK and all things Neo Geo.

7. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Well honestly I wanted a different tag (that I use for AIM and lots of other stuff) but after thinking about it - I decided would be too hard to say in the heat of battle and I would have to keep explaining it, etc. I was intending to be "That Blue Thing" originating from a They Might Be Giants song ("Whats that blue thing doing here?")

So instead I went with one of my favorite characters from Babylon 5 - Zathras.

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Incidentally, great topic and I hope you get lots of responses. I've been wondering about several tags myself!

9. Chad Seymour

Chad Seymour Stunt Coordinator

I used to be a counselor at the Space & Rocket Center/Avaition Challenge back in the day when TOP GUN was the pop thing. All the counselors had a call sign (a la "Maverick", "Goose", etc. Shortly after I started working there, I had a scuba accident called a mask squeeze, which ruptured a lot of the small blood vessels in my eyes. Blood filled the layer between the outer surface and the white part, giving me that cool solid red eye look. It spooked a lot of the kids so I had to wear shades all the time. Thus the name, Redeye. 52 was my number in football that I use from time to time when I need to personalize it a bit more...

Chad

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

My tag is what resulted when I was forced by local BBS systems (circa 1983) to change from a two-word handle to a one-word handle. "Doctor Who" became "Whooter", simply because I couldn't think of anything else...

11. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Simple ... my personality [​IMG] ...
    Actually, it's a kind of play on words. I've always used Dark in my tags because of my complexion. Rayne is because my last name is Cloud, and and what else would come from a Dark Cloud but Dark Rayne? Well, at least in Chicago ...
    Freddy C.

12. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Bappo was a name I chose back in the early beta days of Everquest to be my guide name. I wanted a non-threatening name that was easy for people to type when needing help. Didn'thurt that my guide character was a druid halfling[​IMG]
    I use Bappo more often recently but have mostly used SengirDragon or Sengird as a combo of the M: tG Sengir Vampire card (won a set of moxes and a black lotus with that card) and Sengir Dragon is my Ultima Dragon name. From those days when Ultima mattered.

13. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Very interesting. I've wondered about a number of the names that I've seen.

My name comes from an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm from a few weeks ago. There was a guy on the show called Crazy-Eyes Killa. I just compacted it into one word. It was hard for me to decide between CrazyEyesKilla or PsychoDad (from Married With Children). I went with CrazyEyesKilla because I'm not a dad yet (baby due in Apr).

14. Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier Stunt Coordinator

TW Spock Cuz spock was taken and that's the only nickname I've ever had. Given to me by my roommate who says I show no emotion. TW is short for Thoughtworks my current employer and so far best.

15. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

In my High School BBS days, I came up with GunnerX as an alias for our BBS. I just kept using it I guess since most people online don't know me by my first name but by my alias. [​IMG]
    I was so afraid it would be taken but I was overjoyed when I was able to sign up without any hassle. [​IMG]

16. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

Scar was the nickname given to me by my Lacrosse teammates during my college years. It is obviously a derivative of my first name - go figure! It wasn't given to me because I gave my opponents scars.

Tim, I figured you got your name from Curb your Enthusiasm. That was a funny episode.

17. Trent_N

Trent_N Agent

Nixter

My last name is Nix. Once upon a time I went by the aliast Nixt, which was derived from Nix, T and it eventually morphed to Nixter.

18. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Infernal = a name I used to use when I played quake 2 deathmatches a lot

404 = my area code, plus it's also a "not found" error on a web server.

If you look at the name quickly enough it can also look like "Internal 404" as in "internal error"

just a lame play on words

19. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Jay, the only thing I like better than your thread is your name.
    I chose Robot Monkey, because monkeys make me laugh. I figured a Robot Monkey must be a very silly thing indeed.
    My back-up names included "Pirate Monkey" (there aren't many things funnier than the idea of a monkey wearing an eye-patch) and "Bullet Sponge" (See generally, All Thumbs League).
    I would vote for "Buck Thrustwell" for Best Sexual Innuendo and "Ookla the Mok" for Best Obscure But Not Too Obscure Eighties Reference.
    Come to think of it, "Buck Thrustwell" undoubtedly refers to a rocket motor or something.
    I have a dream of an all-monkey clan-- whoops, gotta go, it's 9pm and I planned to look for you guys in Ghost Recon co-op.
    -j

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Future Void was and is the name of the comic book that I have been writing and peniciling now for the last 5 years (though I recently handed penciling duties off to a good friend of mine that I highly respect. Now Im an inker, thats right...I trace[​IMG]). Its something Ive invested allot of my time in writing and perfecting and I hope to self publish it in the future.