What's happening?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BruceD, Jul 18, 2002.

1. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Why is everything so SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

None of the other websites I'm visiting are slow.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This sort of thing happens when several people are logged on. Big site, lots of traffic--and an overtaxed server.

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Well, top number on-line was 703, right now about 639 on-line and nothing seems to be slow.

So, while I might beleive what you say, it doesn't quite make complete sense.

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Guys:

Yes we have a super computer but even it gets over taxed at times with over 10,000 simulataneous connections to the database. The number of people that you see listed as online just shows you that they are online, not what they are doing. They may be searching for things, posting, replying, and so on...........so even though the number says 703 it is more like 12x that amount that are working the server.

Parker

6. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Parker, I was just kidding (catch the wink). But apparently, I only had One Thing On My Mind. [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Parker, time for another server upgrade? Just kidding. [​IMG]
    I noticed that the web site was running slow at around 6:15 p.m. EDT Thursday night. After a couple of minutes of witnessing the slow operation, the site went down for a short period for maintenance. Within ten minutes or so, the site was back up and all was well -- still is! [​IMG]

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Is it a "definite" that this is just a problem with the server being over taxed during the day? This only started happening in the last week or so and I find it hard to believe that the site just all of a sudden had a flood of new visitors/curiosity seekers. I haven't seen these page load times (30-40 seconds or more) since long before the server upgrade.

9. Parker Clack

Parker
    Michael:

Are you still noticing server lag of late? I haven't noticed any in over a week.

Parker

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Parker, the server lag still exists at my end. Today it was just brutal around 2 pm CDT. It was taking 60 seconds or more just to refresh the thread listings in the various forums and that's with the T1 connection at the office. Opening any thread was taking upwards of a minute. If I was using a dial-up connection, the browser would have probably timed out before connecting. I don't believe it's a browser issue because I had the same problem with two different ones...both Mozilla and Internet Explorer. Tonight things are back to their normal speedy routine. I'll check again tomorrow around the same time (late morning-early afternoon.)

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Dear Parker,

I experienced some lag on Monday around 1:30pm EDT and today a few hours ago (5-ish)

12. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I had the same experiences as Chuck and Michael this afternoon as well. Between 3pm and 5pm, ET, or so.

13. Parker Clack

Parker
    I have talked to our network guy and he will be looking at the server during these times. There really isn't any rhyme or reason for this other than those times of the day are when we are hit the hardest and have the largest load on the server.

If we find anything other than just loads on the server I will get it taken care of as soon as we figure it out.

Parker