WHATS HAPPENING!? My mouse keeps freezing momentarily!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Aug 20, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, this is WEIRD...
    It happened like 30 mins ago, i was using my mouse, when it just froze, for like 5 seconds. then it started working again. Then it did it again! This time my PC-speaker (the one in the case) beeped. It happens two more times, and then it stops.
    A few minutes later, when im using my mouse again it happens again!
    After like half an hour of this, i found that it only happens when i move my mouse quickly. if i SLOOWWWWLY move it, it doesnt freeze.
    This is weird, anybody know whats happening?
    My mouse is PS/2, on an ECS motherboard. AMD Athlon 1.33GHz, WinXPPro.
    Edit: Okay i've restarted... Its still back. I cleaned out the inside of my mouse, but that didnt make a difference.
    Could it be a virus? [​IMG]

2. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Does it happen when using a specific program/utility?

Did you notice it happening after adding any hardware/software specifically?

I'm not literate with WinXP but check and see if there are any conflicts with ports, etc.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im not totally sure if there is a conflicting program, i suspect there MGIHT, but not sure.
    I just recently downloaded some demo programs (panoramic stitchers).
    My WinXP has been acting VERY weird recently. Missing System files (had to insert WinXP Disc), missing themes, missing mice cursors. [​IMG]

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Try keeping task manager on top, and when it freezes, see if CPU utilization hits a plateau at 100%. It'll also tell you if one program suddenly takes up a bunch of memory.

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I've seen mouse freezes on machines where the hard drive is starting to go. Especially if you have a Maxtor or Quantum drive, sometimes the drive itself will freeze up for a few seconds while it resets itself, and this will cause the whole computer to hesitate. If it seems to happen during hard drive activity (and usually the drive will start clicking away right after the freeze) it could be that.

KJP

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Been there, done that. Something has changed, but I never did find out what. You need to remove your mouse and reinstall it.

Yeah, this really sucks, because you'll have to use your keyboard to finish up, but remove it and reboot. If the problem still exists, you'll probably have to reinstall windows.

Glenn

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Thanks guys.. i really hope it aint the hard drive. I have a Maxtor 40Gig 7200RPM drive.

Ill try reinstalling the mouse later.

Glen and John: When it froze, did the computer also beep at you? Coz mine does that usually, but it also sometimes doesnt...

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Me, no. It wasn't in XP, though, it was in 98. If it beeps then it's something else. Can you find out what the beep means for your board? That may provide a vital clue.

Glenn

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The beeping COULD be a buffer overflow condition on the PS/2 port, similar to hitting too many keys on the keyboard when the computer has frozen up.
    Nick, to rule out a heating problem, try leaving your computer off for 15 minutes. Then boot it up and see if the problem is still there.
    I had a similar problem, which I think was caused by a flaky hard drive. The hard drive "fixed" itself (an infamous IBM Deskstar) later. The same thing happens when I insert a bad CD into my CD-burner...the computer has a seizure until I eject the disc. [​IMG]

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, it was happening earlier today, and now it seems to have dissapeared.

It happened even when it was off a cold boot after it was off overnight. It was like that even in the Logon screen, so its PROBABLY not any conflcting software.

Lets just hope its gone and it wont come back...

13. Barrie_B

Barrie_B Auditioning

Exactly the same thing happened to me at work (Windows 2000). It wasn't to bad when it started but it became progressively worse until it started locking up the keyboard then the machine. Replacing the mouse fixed it.

Just try another mouse and see if it still happens.

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im currently using a USB mouse, its working okay so far. Ill see if i can find another PS/2 Mouse.

Yeah today i got back home from work, the keyboard wasnt working, but my USB mouse was.

15. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I had this same problem on my old Dell computer, which was running Win98 though (not XP). The problem was eventually solved when I got a replacement motherboard and hard drive.
    Not sure which one it was that was causing the mouse problem though... I was having many problems with the computer at the time, so both components needed to be changed. But, once they were changed, no more mouse problem [​IMG]

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, im using a USB mouse right now and no problems. Ill try another PS/2 mouse later... Hmm, sounds like a good excuse to buymyself a new optical mouse [​IMG]

17. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

I had the same problem. I finally figured out that the mouse had just worn out!! New mouse solved all problems.

18. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

My Mouse has started doing this recently.. It causes me to
    have to reboot the machine.. When I move the mouse it moves
    in slow motion and the PC Speaker Beeps... I have to power
    down and I have to do it the hard way because even the soft
    touch power button won't work..

The mouse is NOT the problem because it's a brand new MS
    Optical Explorer and it's worked fine up untill 2 weeks
    ago.. It's also USB...

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It could be a bad mouse Brett. Try exchanging it or borrow another USB mouse.

PC speaker beeps usually means there is a problem with the hardware (buffer overruns when a device such as a mouse or keyboard goes haywire, for example).

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, try getting a new mice. Im using my dad's USB mouse right now, and its working fine, its probably the mouse, or [​IMG] the PS/2 port. Lets hope it was just the mouse.
    Speaking of mice... How is the Microsoft Optical mouse? How about versus the basic Logitech optical mouse?
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...d=&newdeptid=1
    Its on sale, i might pick it up