What's new

Whats going, the monitor or video card? (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Hi all, hope it lasts long enough to read some of your replies. :)
Over the last few days I have noticed my monitor flicker a few times. It does it a few times (3-5) the first hour or so after its powered up and then seems to clear up. The flicker is hard to describe, the whole picture sort of pulses quickly as if it were receiving some RFI. It only lasts a second.
Today the flicker came twice and then the whole picture collapsed into a thin horiz. line across the screen. This lasted for a few seconds (5-10) and then back to normal. This happened twice and then fine from there out.
The monitor is about 4 years old. What do you think, is it the monitor or the video card thats going?

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
It definitely sounds like the monitor is on its way out. It could be something simple like a cold soldering spot, but unless you know what you're doing, don't even think about just looking at it up yourself, there are some high voltages going on in a monitor.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it might be something that is easily fixed, but is it worth it having someone look at it? Or is it simply time to go out and by a new monitor?

-Christian

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Your problem sounds identical to the one I had with my 27" JVC. It cost me $100 to fix.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...5&highlight=TV
With it being a monitor, I would consider buying a new one. My monitor is also starting to die, so I did a lot of research on quality 19" monitor with a minimum requirement of it being a flatscreen with 16*12 refresh at 85hz+.
I found the below IBM model P96, recently discontinued in favor of the P97. IBM is selling them via a buy it now feature on ebay for $255 shipped. The original MSRP was over $400, as is the new P97 model. Every review I read on it had real positive remarks, however I have no first hand experience with it. I only wish they had it in black. Yes, I bought one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2025000710
**I am in no way affiliated with IBM. I realize the above is technically a violation of the no auction links, but the auction has a large quantity available at a buy it now feature directly from IBM. After I purchased it via ebay, I was sent an email link via IBM that had me input my order information on their website.**

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Shayne, from your old post
If I bang the TV hard enough on the side, the picture comes back.
It just did it again and I didn't think it was going to come back. So after 5-6 seconds I gave it a tap on the top and it came right back.

I am really in a quandary with this computer. It's a cheap PB and I was thinking of throwing some extra RAM and a budget video card in it soon and passing it down to my son. Then building myself a new one. But now with the monitor apparently going and having to replace that as well it is starting to look like good money after bad. It may be more cost effective to buy him a cheap e-machine or something.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I honestly would not get an emachine at any price for even a junk computer. They are worse than PB ever was IMO.

If you decide to build a PC for yourself, simply build another one for your son using a MB with integrated parts (i.e. video, sound, modem, etc.). Throw it in a cheap box (with decent power supply) with cheap ram and you will be good to go. You would still be able to use your current keayboard and mouse. And it will come out cheaper than an emachine.

C. Ryan

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
You could build yourslef a top notch Athlon XP 1800 (1.5mhz) DDR system with a Geforce 2gts V video card (pretty decent card and should play all the games coming out in the next few years, for under $600 (with a nice 32xs burner). You will need to shop a bit for prices (check newegg.com one of my personal favorites for buying comp. hardware).
You could also build your son a nice 1Ghz AMD duron computer, same graphics card for around $300 or so no problem.
A decent envision 19" monitor can be had @ staples for $100-125 or so after rebate and online coupon.

Both of these computers will last you and your son quite a while. I build computers on the side for customers to make me some extra cash. Stay far away from Emachines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks