What's going on with my system??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ben_Ly, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly Agent

Ok, I'm a newbie and I'm not sure if my amp is shutting itself off or what is going on. When I am listening to my speakers at reasonably high volumes the sound shuts off and then all that I receive is static unless I let the receiver sit for 10-15 minutes. I tried doing searches and looking in my manual but have not received any help. I'm not sure if I have something hooked up incorrectly. I bought a used Denon 3300 and I would think that it should be able be reasonably loud without it shutting off as it says its wattage is 105. I get the static no matter what I try to listen to it in although sometime regular stereo puts out some music. It has happened every time that I have tried to turn up my subwoofer. Also, I have most of the things hooked up with generic RCA plugs as I have yet to get to the store and buy some good ones so I'm not sure if that is the problem.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

By "reasonably loud" do you mean just that or are you talking about ear-splitting levels? Receivers will shut down if driven into overload, though no sound is the usual result (instead of static white noise). And by turning up the subwoofer, are you referring to the output-level knob on back of the unit (assuming it's a powered sub)? And have you told your Denon's setup menu that it is driving "small" main speakers?

3. Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly Agent

Ok. I thought that since I had everything set up with regular RCA I'd buy some better ones so I went out and bought some Monster Cables and that didn't help. Is it possible that the sub (JBL 12") is causing this because it doesn't happen without my sub attached. Also, I have my sub output set at about 1 or 2 o'clock. I have tried every configuration on the Denon setup menu. Is it possible my receiver is busted?

4. Jack Briggs

Ben, you still haven't quite answered my questions. Have you told the receiver it is driving "small" mains and surrounds? That way, the receiver doesn't have to work below a certain frequency level. And, yes, your output level on the sub seems a little high (though all powered subs track differently on output); "1 o'clock" sounds like a bit much. Remember, you don't want to hear anything in the LFE channel when there's nothing there to begin with in the program source.

Get a copy of AVIA, an SPL meter, and tame that sound.

Until you provide a little more information it's hard to ascertain what may be going wrong. But I think we're pointing you in the right direction.

5. Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly Agent

Yes, I did tell my receiver I was driving small fronts. Does it matter which input on my sub I plug the sub cable into. There are two (red and white) and I only have one sub-out on my receiver or do I need to get a Y adapter?

6. Jack Briggs

Funny, this is being discussed elsewhere as we speak! I think, yes, you need a Y adapter. But I wish I could see the back panel of your sub.

7. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

No, you don't need a Y-adapter. Plug it into either side (left or right)

8. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

you get more output using a Y adapter.

Craig

9. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

correction, you get more gain, not output........

10. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

oops, my bad. that is what i meant!